Blew up their motor today Crew step in

Buck531

So yeah after working on my POS Buick since Sunday after work (3 hours a day) I finally got it running today. Took it to Nd2race (I think) and he fixed the exhaust.

After finding out the intercooler I put on was FUCKED I took it off and threw the stock blower on it. Before I had a massive vac leak and was seeing 12-14 inches of vac at idle and it ran like shit. So I put the stocker on there. 19 inches. Great. Runs great. Went over to my parents house to talk to my mom (she just got out of surgery today).

On the way home I went WOT a few times. I was scanning with my laptop, wideband looked good.

I get off at 62 to go home and on the corner where it straightens out I hit it. About 5k rpm's it doesn't feel right. Just kinda hangs there. then the fucking car stalls. Pull over. start it up. and it starts knocking. great.

I limp it home after it dies 3 times.

Pull the plugs and they're all good. when I popped off the oil cap there was a decent amount of steam. I drain the oil. Looks fine. no coolant in the oil.

I've never heard a rod knock before. It's hard to tell if ti's coming from the trans or the engine. If anyone is NOT going to the track day tomorrow feel free to come by and give me a second opinion.

Fuck it. I'm going to get fucking drunk tonight and try not to worry about it.

So after the week was over, the really ONLY thing I got installed on the car was the headers. The i/c wasn't on the car. Same pulley as before.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to the track day tomorrow :(.

hmm.. nope.. not yet. interesting

Would the car still move if it was the flexplate?

Yes we had to replace the flexplate on my bosses 71 buick and it sounded like the engine was knocking. Would break up real bad when he got into it. I know its a much older car but it even sounded like it was coming from the bottom end of the engine.

Hope it works out for you.

That sucks. Yes it was me putting your exhaust together. My flexplate cracked a couple years ago on my Camaro. It sounded bad, but when it cracked it was hitting the back of the engine. Worth checking, sorry you won't make it out.

That sucks, I hope for you it is something very stupid and small. (flexplate is small compared to bottom end)

yeah.. it sucks labor wise, another 1/2 hour and I could put another motor in the car lolz.

Price wise, it's cheaper than the motor but getting to it sucks ass.

negative. not the blower. its' deeper than that. it almost sounds like a lose rocker arm or something. But NOoo I took off the rear valve cover and it's all intact. All the valve springs look fine.

Diagnosis.. FUCKED.

take the belt off and start it see if the noise is still there a seized or real fucked up a/c compressor or water pump can make the same noises

it's coming from inside the motor.

it's running REALLY rough too. its' not like its smooth running and knocking.

Shit happens. hopefully I'll find a cheap long block and I can swap all my shit over.

Has anyone had any experiences with a fire damaged motor? I plan on swapping everything except the heads and cam. I was going re-do every gasket including dropping the pan, etc. Just wondering if it's worth it.

Shit happens. hopefully I'll find a cheap long block and I can swap all my shit over.

Has anyone had any experiences with a fire damaged motor? I plan on swapping everything except the heads and cam. I was going re-do every gasket including dropping the pan, etc. Just wondering if it's worth it.

They use water to put out fires. :D

Guest Removed
sounds like the flewplate! they crack around the bolt center and sound likea rod. or you cranked the crank in the same manner. either way pop the motor off and if its the flexplate ... or chain slapping?