What can I do to my Crown Vic?

fictionwriter

ok, I've decided to put my Camaro project on the back burner for now; reason being I've decided to drop in a 350 and I can't do that in parking lot of my apartment. So the Camaro waits until I can get into a house next year.

I have a 2002 Crown Victoria with a 4.6. My goal is to boost over-all efficiency for a good balance of horsepower and gas mileage/reliability for my daily driver. My K&N intake is on the way to advance auto (they have an unbelievable price on those) I would like to find a better intake manifold and some affordable headers. A little down the road I would like to look at a cam and if the price is right some better breathing heads. I want to go naturally aspirated b/c I would rather not do a total rebuild all at once and there's no way an engine with 142k is going to stand much boost for long.

I have some confusion though:

I checked out Jegs and Summit - not much for the crown vic specifically on there. I thought about just looking up the 04 to current mustang GT 4.6 - but would those parts work on my version of that 4.6? Also, fordracingparts.com has some cool stuff but it's a little expensive. Where can I find good quality headers for my car that won't destroy my savings?

1 other question b4 I start:

I need a ford guy's opinion here. What do you beleive is the biggest restriction point on the crown vic? Exhaust manifold? Cat? Intake? Heads? Let me know where to start! Thanks all - Nate

Guest Removed
parts for your car are specific to the crown vic and expensive

plus 1..

buy this camaro v-8 i have for sale.....

on a side note, lots of parts for the mustangs could be fitted to the vic, and some stuff could be made, but you dont have the skills to do it youself, and more then likely dont have the money to pay someone to do it for you

Ok, how about mustang gt headers - and instead of installing them myself I can just take it to an exhaust shop and have them put them on. those guys can make it fit and make me a whole 2.5 in exhaust for only a few hundred bucks I bet. That would help it breath better. And since there's no intake manifolds under 500 that will fit it, I'll just spend 300 on a bigger TB and pocket the extra 200 I have for that. I'm working with like 1200 after rent for the whole project. I was just about to pay a guy 350 to program my ecu for better gas until I found a programmer I could use myself on summit for 330. lol.

Ok, how about mustang gt headers...those guys can make it fit...

No, they can't. Those will never fit.

Buy a cat back exhaust with a free flowing muffler. Go with a 2.5". Drive slower when you want to be efficient. Spray the car when you want to go fast. That is the most cost effective way to do what you want. You will have money left over from your budget.

Also, take back the useless K&N you bought; it doesn't do anything for you except get your MAF dirty.

I need a ford guy's opinion here. What do you beleive is the biggest restriction point on the crown vic? Exhaust manifold? Cat? Intake? Heads? Let me know where to start! Thanks all - Nate

The fucking car is heavy!!! Police Interceptor? If not I agree with the gas and matches modification.

I would put off moddin the vic. It has high miles and wasn't really made for performance. I'd hold off and just save up on doing what you really wanna do with the camaro. I know it's easy to get obsessed with buying things for vehicles ya own. . . but i'm sure in the long run you'd be more happy adding more power to that cherry f body.

Just my two cents bro!

Thanks for the tip typeR.

Thing is, I don't race. I just get bored and feel like putting parts on my cars. I find the whole car thing very interesting.

I'm happier with a car that can go fast from 70-100 on the highway if I just want to make a quick pass instead of a car that goes 0-60 really fast. Sometimes I forget that. :)

Like mentioned, gears, catback, and a tune will be about the most you should need. also, look into pulleys, and i bet you could get a mustang throttle body and plenum setup to work, i believe the intake manifolds are close to the same.

thing to remember, a full bolt on 99+ gt will only make around 300-315 at the wheels, and n/a 4.6 stangs usually run in the mid to high 12's, with around 1000 or so pounds less the your vic.

i saw your budget of 1200, i'd say gears and a tune, and loose the cats, and fab up an exhaust.

Are you on crownvic.net?

I know that a lot of them use Marauder Airboxes w/ the Stock Marauder MAF.

Headers.... dunno. Possibly shorties for a SOHC Mustang? And have a competent exhaust shop fab up the rest.

Gears.... what do you have now? The Marauder came with 3.55's and 4.10's were about the most common upgrade. If you are rocking the 2.73's, a set of Marauder take-off 3.55's would be a REAL kick in the ass for you.

And lastly, GET A TUNE!!!! Dyno Brian shoulod be able to do whatever you need in that regard.

:up:

KillJoy