Why do you ride?

jagr

Why do you ride?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you ride?

• To be a Trackday Junkie. And also to enjoys the scent of sweaty man-leather.
    • So i can destroy my bike in Deliverance country. Also enjoys squeeling like a pig.
    • To get away from my significant other, and restore a non-suicidal mental balance.
    • To fulfill the primal wanderlust of a hunter/gatherer.
    • Because i want an expensive 7 month a year hobby.
    • To seek out new life, new civilisations. To boldly go where no one has gone before!
    • To pick up 16 year old skanks in small, economically depressed country towns.(Hooker option)
    • To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i first started riding it was a way to escape for me. right after i bought my bike i headed straight into a real shitty divorce and it was a way for me to blow off steam and reassure myself i was going to be ok alone (i rode alone primarily).

now i ride for enjoyment but its still a way to escape. just me, myself in my helmet, and the road infront of me. nothing else matters when i ride.

So many choices.... This has got to be the thread with the best poll choices, LOL. I'm having a hard time choosing which option fits me best... What happened to the "all of the above" choice? :)

I left it open so you can make multiple choices. Jrmiii checked them All. lol.

To crush my enemies!! :D

Honesty' date=' riding is very relaxing for me. It calms me down, I can talk to myself inside my helmet and work shit out. I also talk to my bike. I praise her when we take a turn just right, I apologize to her when I miss a shift or blow a line... I don't know. It quiets my head and helps me focus on what is important. What is important? Not the hustle and bustle of the rat race we call life and career. Discovering new places, new roads, new people and leaving your mark somewhere unknown to you before that trip. Remembering that the journey IS the destination. Motorcycles are very Zen for me. I am not religious, I don't go to church, I don't buy the whole Heaven and Hell bit. I do, however, believe that humans are spiritual beings and if they listen quietly enough they will hear something, or someone, trying to tell them something. When I am riding a motorcycle, whether it's on the street or track, every now and again I can hear it. I can feel it. It's a good thing, Motorcycling.

(sorry for being gay)[/quote']

Not gay at all. Thats a really good answer i think a lot of us can associate with.

This is a good essay on the subject. Read it if you have the time.

http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/whyride.html

i especially like the quote at the top.

When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less than hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life...

T.E. Lawrence, April, 1923

when i first started riding it was a way to escape for me. right after i bought my bike i headed straight into a real shitty divorce and it was a way for me to blow off steam and reassure myself i was going to be ok alone (i rode alone primarily).

now i ride for enjoyment but its still a way to escape. just me, myself in my helmet, and the road infront of me. nothing else matters when i ride.

sorry to here that mate :(

Welcome to the club KK.

When its just me riding i always start singing Stevie Nicks songs in my helmet. i dont know why???

Get a quad i'll meet you at Wellsville...

I ride to get away, feel the wind, relax. I did notice i also sing and talk to myself...and the bike. I actually like it when there is no one around and it's just me on some rural road.

Not gay at all. Thats a really good answer i think a lot of us can associate with.

This is a good essay on the subject. Read it if you have the time.

http://www.ianchadwick.com/motorcycles/whyride.html

i especially like the quote at the top.

When my mood gets too hot and I find myself wandering beyond control I pull out my motor-bike and hurl it top-speed through these unfit roads for hour after hour. My nerves are jaded and gone near dead, so that nothing less than hours of voluntary danger will prick them into life...

T.E. Lawrence, April, 1923

Lawrence_of_Arabia_Brough_Superior_gif.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._E._Lawrence

At age 46, a few weeks after leaving the service, Lawrence was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident while piloting a Brough Superior SS100 in Dorset, close to his cottage, Clouds Hill, near Wareham. The accident occurred because of a dip in the road that obstructed his view of two boys on their bicycles; he swerved to avoid them, lost control and was thrown over the handlebars of his motorcycle. He died six days later. The spot is marked by a small memorial at the side of the road. The circumstances of Lawrence's death would have far reaching consequences, however. One of the doctors attending him was the neurosurgeon, Hugh Cairns. He was profoundly affected by the incident and consequently began a long study of what he saw as the unnecessary loss of life by motorcycle dispatch riders through head injuries and his research led to the use of crash helmets by both military and civilian motorcyclists. As a consequence of treating Lawrence, Sir Hugh Cairns would ultimately save the lives of many motorcyclists.[12]

To crush my enemies!! :D

Honesty' date=' riding is very relaxing for me. It calms me down, I can talk to myself inside my helmet and work shit out. I also talk to my bike. I praise her when we take a turn just right, I apologize to her when I miss a shift or blow a line... I don't know. It quiets my head and helps me focus on what is important. What is important? Not the hustle and bustle of the rat race we call life and career. Discovering new places, new roads, new people and leaving your mark somewhere unknown to you before that trip. Remembering that the journey IS the destination. Motorcycles are very Zen for me. I am not religious, I don't go to church, I don't buy the whole Heaven and Hell bit. I do, however, believe that humans are spiritual beings and if they listen quietly enough they will hear something, or someone, trying to tell them something. When I am riding a motorcycle, whether it's on the street or track, every now and again I can hear it. I can feel it. It's a good thing, Motorcycling.

(sorry for being gay)[/quote']

:plus1::cheers:

I have a $10k V-twin therapist in my garage that doesn't pass judgement, save for only the times when I twist too much throttle when I shouldn't. And she lets me know by trying to put the front and back tires side by side. Otherwise, I find myself over and over again on that thing. I have found a synergy with that machine that I could never find with a woman, or any other human being. And like any lifelong relationship, I have scars to show where the low points were, and pics and memories from the high times. And I wouldn't trade any from one one list to add to the other.