Why do you do what you do?

justin0469

I make money so I can travel, but I like my jobs. The people are fun to be around (mostly), flexible hours, and my jobs are for a cause. The one, I work for a non-profit company that donates millions of dollars to the community every year - good, and the other i'm researching thermoelectic materials to help reduce dependence on oil. Feels gooooood. :)

I've asked myself this many times. Often thought it would be better if there was no money. If i had a place to live that was paid off or just lived in the forest, I wouldn't mind just being a Grizzly Adams. But since i've been classically conditioned to enjoy electric, fast food, motorized things and hookers...i goto work.

Here's a potentially deep question: Why do you do what you do? I mean, what motivates you to go to work, come home, eat, go to bed and do it all over again?

laying in the gutter and waiting for death just doesn't seem too appealing, and I get bored, might as well do something with my life. Also by having kids, I have to make sure they have a good life. cause when I was a kid life sucked bad, so we make sure there's does not.

Here's a potentially deep question: Why do you do what you do? I mean, what motivates you to go to work, come home, eat, go to bed and do it all over again?

I just covered "some" of this in the dream job thread but I just love what I do. I know that I am doing exactly what God created me to do. When you know that you are fullfilling your purpose there is a deep sense of contentment and security that you can't get from anyone but God. There are many, many other things that are on the horizon for me besides my medical practice but being kingdom minded keeps me going every day. We all make mistakes but knowing that each day brings a new beginning filled with grace and mercy wakes me up with a smile on my face every morning!

I just covered "some" of this in the dream job thread but I just love what I do. I know that I am doing exactly what God created me to do. When you know that you are fullfilling your purpose there is a deep sense of contentment and security that you can't get from anyone but God. There are many, many other things that are on the horizon for me besides my medical practice but being kingdom minded keeps me going every day. We all make mistakes but knowing that each day brings a new beginning filled with grace and mercy wakes me up with a smile on my face every morning!

That's very true. I suppose I asked the question because while I totally agree with what you said, I don't feel like I'm accomplishing much. Not because I don't want to or because I'm lazy but I feel kinda like I'm in a dead end job, don't know many people around here because the job takes all my time (until very recently) and lost my girlfriend. Not looking for a pity party, just trying to figure where to go from here. ;)

The money, benefits and get to meet some cool people. I get to take 7+ weeks off a year, can retire in 22ish years with some serious $$. I get to have fun at work for the most part, but also get a lot of crap that makes me wonder wtf I was thinking. (getting sued is fun!)....

But at the end of the day, its what I always wanted to do and feel good about it.