What car would you buy for 25k?

Aaron

Yes buy that DSM reliability for a Daily. Brilliant. Daily STI>Daily EVO. SUbaru is way nicer on the inside for a DD. I will agree EVO Performance > STI. But for Daily, Pre 08 STI hands down.

Kenny you need to back away from the keyboard. Your fucked in the head after that drive in to work. If you had an STI it Wouldn't have been stressful.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/storm-RYAN-15.jpg

What isn't reliable about an Evo? Nicer on the inside? The interiors are practically identical.

The Evo has a stronger motor, gear box, transfer case, is easier to work on and is cheaper to buy.

Don't get me wrong, I like the STi, but it doesn't stand a chance vs. the Evo.

Driving an Evo/STi/DSM to work today would have put me in an even worse mood. You forget that I used to own a 1G? Days like today were the worst driving it. 30mph, brake, clutch in, rinse, repeat.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: My left leg used to be 3 times more muscular than my right back when I had the VR4

Meanwhile you've got cars three wide in front of you going 30mph. In front of them there is nothing but open, clean, snow covered highway.

Half of your brain is thinking "I can clear them on the berm".

The other half is thinking "it would be just my luck, I'd do that, and I'd get pulled over by some sucker cop".

Which then brings you to the logic "fuck that cop, he can't catch me in this shit".

I'll let you figure out the rest of how that works.

:o

If we lived in Europe I'd tell you to get one of these:

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

http://jtmedia.kuvat.fi/kuvat/LOWR1D3Rpt.III/JAP-3/IMG_2064copy.jpg/_small.jpg

http://jtmedia.kuvat.fi/kuvat/LOWR1D3Rpt.III/Q-fun/IMG_1082copy.jpg/_small.jpg

Curious.... you keep mentioning buying some sort of Audi then putting on aftermarket parts. Wouldn't this void any warranty you were hoping to get in the first place? Are you limited to buying brand new or would a slightly older (2 years or so) car with an aftermarket warranty suffice?

As with any car, the parts you mod will potentially have the warranty on that part alone voided, or parts that would wear because of the modded part.

For instance If I installed coilovers, They could not void my powertrain warranty. If something breaks, like the control arms, then I would expect to pay for the repair unless it was a manufacturing defect.

A chip and full exhaust would be basic mods for these cars. The DV would be fixed so I wouldn't have to deal with blowing the stock one, multiple times, and the same with the PCV. I have a good relationship with my service tech, so it would not be a problem.

If we lived in Europe I'd tell you to get one of these:

FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

http://jtmedia.kuvat.fi/kuvat/LOWR1D3Rpt.III/JAP-3/IMG_2064copy.jpg/_small.jpg

http://jtmedia.kuvat.fi/kuvat/LOWR1D3Rpt.III/Q-fun/IMG_1082copy.jpg/_small.jpg

Personally I would like to have the B5 RS4 as my "toy" and a B7 RS4 Avant as my DD. This of course would require a trust fund and moving across the pond. :D

I am severly bi-polar with my cars. In the winter I hate almost any car I own because of the severe mental retardation that occurs with MOST drivers in ohio along with the millions of lbs of salt and sand they douche the roads with. It makes the inside and outside of my cars rediculous.

I actually love my car, and could not justify buying another car when the wife and I are saving to buy a house. I will most likely keep the GTI until we have a house and our finances in order. My goal is to DD the GTI and to get a Gen 2 SHO 5 speed as my project car summer of 2010.

What isn't reliable about an Evo? Nicer on the inside? The interiors are practically identical.

The Evo has a stronger motor, gear box, transfer case, is easier to work on and is cheaper to buy.

Driving an Evo/STi/DSM to work today would have put me in an even worse mood. You forget that I used to own a 1G? Days like today were the worst driving it. 30mph, brake, clutch in, rinse, repeat.

Auto climate control, Sirius Radio, a dash that doesn't look like a 9k beater, Nicer guages, I can sit in a base model Lancer and see the exact same dash and console in an EVO. Hell the WRX base or 2.5RS base is way nicer than the EVO dash and everything you look at.

As for stronger Gearbox than an STI? Stronger than a 02WRX yes, but 6 Speed STI tranny? I haven't seen the 6 speed break, Ask shrek if his tranny is OK. Alex had 678WHP through his STI 6 Speed.

And I guess you and I drive different, I went into the berm to pass the wall of four wide bullshit that was infront of me on 270. Nobody in front of them but they need to drive next to each other 4 wide at the same speed. Nope I went around. I didn't have to shift hardly at all. Christ I can do 25 in 4th and 100 in fourth. Why shift? It is slick out?

Doesn't stand a chance, they are always in the mags as a dead even comparison, but the STI is now demoted to Festiva status? Seriously you have lost your fuckin' mind. Ask most on this board if the STI is nicer on the inside and I bet they agree. The STI is a nicer DD, the EVO is a better Track car......

That is the question "one car, 25k, DD"........

Oh wait maybe we should buy a LC2, oh wait nobody nominated that, not even you.....

I go through these fits about once a month, like a girl. I try to justify getting rid of my car (any car) and then come back to reality.

I will be getting my car detailed this summer and do R32 brakes and suspension when I graduate at the end of the year. This will surely get me to the end of my CPO 74k warranty where I can then justify going straight to a K04 turbo upgrade.

Thanks for helping.

Auto climate control, Sirius Radio, a dash that doesn't look like a 9k beater, Nicer guages, I can sit in a base model Lancer and see the exact same dash and console in an EVO. Hell the WRX base or 2.5RS base is way nicer than the EVO dash and everything you look at.

As for stronger Gearbox than an STI? Stronger than a 02WRX yes, but 6 Speed STI tranny? I haven't seen the 6 speed break, Ask shrek if his tranny is OK. Alex had 678WHP through his STI 6 Speed.

And I guess you and I drive different, I went into the berm to pass the wall of four wide bullshit that was infront of me on 270. Nobody in front of them but they need to drive next to each other 4 wide at the same speed. Nope I went around. I didn't have to shift hardly at all. Christ I can do 25 in 4th and 100 in fourth. Why shift? It is slick out?

Doesn't stand a chance, they are always in the mags as a dead even comparison, but the STI is now demoted to Festiva status? Seriously you have lost your fuckin' mind. Ask most on this board if the STI is nicer on the inside and I bet they agree. The STI is a nicer DD, the EVO is a better Track car......

Oh wait maybe we should buy a LC2, oh wait nobody nominated that, not even you.....

Agreed, STI is a much nicer DD.

Yes buy that DSM reliability for a Daily. Brilliant. Daily STI>Daily EVO. SUbaru is way nicer on the inside for a DD. I will agree EVO Performance > STI. But for Daily, Pre 08 STI hands down.

They're both reliable imo.. I can't compare the evo to my old daily 2g tsi(which pretty much crumbled to pieces). I prefer the look of the older 04/05 sti but I've driven both and i actually find the interior/ride of the evo a little nicer. STI's solid engine mounts add vibration and personally i hate the blue seats.. But I love the look of the subaru which is why I'd still rather own the sti, because at the stock level neither really has an edge on the other (I'm talking 04/05, apparently the new sti gets pwned by the evo). Personal preference with those two cars really.

IMHO the STI is the more comfortable daily. Both cars are probably harsher than most normal folks would care to DD anyway though. So I say if you're going for comfort, get an Audi. If you want to slap a DP and a reflash on your car and go "HOLY SHIT", get an Evo, its really not that harsh, if you're a man anyway. A man that has a pair of balls ... rock hard balls with spikes on em.

Auto climate control, that's seriously what makes or breaks it for you? You can't turn a knob if you get too hot/cold?

Sirius Radio - wow, that's complex to install.

You act as if the STi dash is something to write home about. A factory installed boost gauge is mounted on the steering column, wow, that's ballerific. If you're this worried about what an interior looks like you probably should have bought a luxury car and not a car intended to be modified.

This is a moot point anyway considering it's an opinion, IMO they're both pretty basic interiors and do what they need to do. Good steering wheel, good seats. I'm not looking at the gauge cluster and if they're that bad I'll install my own.

In short your arguement is: waa, I don't have auto climate control. Take off your womens underwear and put your man pants back on.

Ask him how many spare axles he has and how many times he's replaced them.

If you're going to tell me having a turbocharged AWD car makes you exempt from being stuck in traffic you're huffing some serious meth. Do I pass on the berm? No, I get fucked far too often by our local tax collectors with guns to try that, the last thing I need is another run in with them. What's that have to do with Evo's, anyway?

I'm pretty sure this is a car enthusiast forum, no? Who buys an Evo or STi to leave stock? No one in their right mind, that's for damn sure. If you want a stock daily driver you should be looking at a car like a Honda Civic or hell, anything from Subaru that isn't turbocharged. Turbo cars in general are not ideal for daily driving. Do we do it anyway? Sure.

The question is one car, that will be your daily driver, and your fun car, which do you buy? Evo. Goes faster, costs less, easier to fix, cheaper parts, everything is is basically identical. The Evo is better where it counts, period.

But you are the guy that buys Apple products because they look cute and cost more, so I guess that makes total sense.

Why is it that any time I make a post making valid points the fall back for the person arguing with me is to make a LC2 comment. This shit happens in damn near every thread. Why?

I know more about most cars than the majority of the people that post here. Two of my good friends own two of the cars in question, I've had plenty of experience with both. Shit, I just helped one of them drop the transmission out of his to replace a throw out bearing and clutch.

Again, I like the STi, it just gets the shit stomped out of it by an equally modded Evo with less cash. The name of my game is going fast, not looking cute.

IMHO the STI is the more comfortable daily. Both cars are probably harsher than most normal folks would care to DD anyway though. So I say if you're going for comfort, get an Audi. If you want to slap a DP and a reflash on your car and go "HOLY SHIT", get an Evo, its really not that harsh, if you're a man anyway. A man that has a pair of balls ... rock hard balls with spikes on em.

Damn right.

EVO has a better exterior, subaru a better interior. They both have great power, and both are good with mods. They are both excellent cars. Its like Coke or Pepsi. You will have die hard fans of both.

I agree, but when it comes to modding them the Evo is clearly a better option.

Pepsi sucks, except for Mt. Dew.

Valid points but I would go with the Evo because to me, the STI's look like a cross eyed retard up front.

I agree, but when it comes to modding them the Evo is clearly a better option.

Pepsi sucks, except for Mt. Dew.

If I didn't value my interiors and ease of driving daily as much as I do, I would most def get the evo 9. I think they look great (with a spoiler delete or lip spoiler) and am fully aware of their potential.

However my likes push me towards the Audi type cars.