What new car to get?

Trouble Maker

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from the mazda3's ( no offense to the 3's on here) I like they way they look and have decent power for a daily but the MPG freaking SUCKS for the power you get. I have also read about quite a few problems with them. (It was close between my civ and the 3).

Dunno if I told you but my parents have a fit. Its an 07 but it is a very practical car. I wouldn't call it fun to drive by ANY means. My major complaint is no intermittent wipers (09 may have changed), but the biggest thing is it is geared for the city. At 75mph its around 3500rpm (manual trans). I know your commute is mostly highway, so keep that in mind ( again maybe this changed in 09).

The 09 looks like a great improvement though.

oh and also, don't buy it used. If you plan to keep the car a long time just buy it new and break it in properly and keep up on maintenance. Plus honda's retain their price so you probably won't save all that much money, plus you will get a better interest rate.

Stay away from the mazda3's ( no offense to the 3's on here) I like they way they look and have decent power for a daily but the MPG freaking SUCKS for the power you get. I have also read about quite a few problems with them. (It was close between my civ and the 3).

Dunno if I told you but my parents have a fit. Its an 07 but it is a very practical car. I wouldn't call it fun to drive by ANY means. My major complaint is no intermittent wipers (09 may have changed), but the biggest thing is it is geared for the city. At 75mph its around 3500rpm (manual trans). I know your commute is mostly highway, so keep that in mind ( again maybe this changed in 09).

The 09 looks like a great improvement though.

oh and also, don't buy it used. If you plan to keep the car a long time just buy it new and break it in properly and keep up on maintenance. Plus honda's retain their price so you probably won't save all that much money, plus you will get a better interest rate.

my Auto get 30+ the highway and mid 20s for city. The only Issue have has is a noisy suspension after having both axles replaced under warranty. Which Mazda said they were unable to duplicate.

The Rabbit it MUCH bigger on the INSIDE than either the mini or the fit.

I would suggest the rabbit. 170hp I5, 5 speed manual, good mileage, fun to drive, HUGE on the inside, 2 or 4 doors, lots of options etc.

We were just looking at 4dr rabbits and they were around 12k with 15k miles on them, all had the CPO 6 year 74k btb and powertrain. 2dr versions are cheaper. I bought my NEW base 2dr rabbit 5 speed for 14700.

They are tops of their class. Wifes Rabbit:

Just like to point out, I do like VW's especially for their fit and finish. while the price may be somewhat competitive with its competition, albeit on the higher side. VW usually makes up for it in their maintenance costs. Last i saw a simply 30k mile checkup on my 05 Jetta costs around $550. Sure you could get the service done elsewhere but threaten voiding the warranty at the sametime.

I actually like the Fit. As for the "it looks gay, or its a girls car". I drive a jetta and an eclipse... I know bitch cars when I see them. Just buy a black one with optional 17inch wheels and tint the windows and your good to go :)

Oh, in case anyone was wondering why I'm that worried about gas mileage, I drive 37 miles one way to work.

My commute is almost identical to yours, assuming I go the short way, although the long way has far less traffic in the mornings. I'm looking at HEMI Rams :bangbang:

My commute is almost identical to yours, assuming I go the short way, although the long way has far less traffic in the mornings. I'm looking at HEMI Rams :bangbang:

I've done a car that gets 23mpg average using premium for the last 5 years. During winter (also driving to mad river every Saturday) I've had months were I spent $500-$600 on gas. Not just a month, but months. It seemed more than completely ass backwards to spend more a month on gas than my car payment was. Have fun with that.

I've done a car that gets 23mpg average using premium for the last 5 years. During winter (also driving to mad river every Saturday) I've had months were I spent $500-$600 on gas. Not just a month, but months. It seemed more than completely ass backwards to spend more a month on gas than my car payment was. Have fun with that.

New Insight ?? Not sure if it's even out, but the mpg's are likely better. You're right on the car payment vs gas thing. That is just crazy.