When do you change your oil?

thorne

I change mine ever 3-4k But my buddy's new BMW 135i says every 15k. I've been told by a few people that 5-10k is where you should in reality change you oil and thats its all a sham from the oil makers.

Any insight would rock because 15k blew my mind and his car is turbo.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tbutera2112
I change mine ever 3-4k But my buddy's new BMW 135i says every 15k. I've been told by a few people that 5-10k is where you should in reality change you oil and thats its all a sham from the oil makers.

Any insight would rock because 15k blew my mind and his car is turbo.

15k is probably under perfect conditions..."severe" is 3-5k... tell him to look up what severe driving consists of, and to make sure and change it every 3k if he wants that car to last

http://carguide123.com/articles/What_Are_'Severe_Driving_Conditions'_and_How_Do_They_Affect_Your_Maintenance_Schedule%3F.html

Guest Removed

big difference..there is not one place on this planet that falls under normal conditons. read your owners manual closer in to what they define as normal conditions.

15k ha. that engine wont live long

run rotella in it you might be able to get away with it, but if there is a issue, then when it blows up youwill get hammered on none warranty coverage do to the fact that it has the wrong oil in it

I change the oil every 3000 miles in my GTP and TA even using synthetic. Which is more than needed but I do it myself and I watch out for deals on mobile 1 and stock up so it doesnt cost as much.

My F150 gets changed every 5000 miles using synthetic.

most new car computers keep log of your driving habits and it will illuminate the change oil soon light because the whole 3,000 mile/3 month thing is a part of the past with all the new technology today. but in my camaro I change it every 2,000 miles and I use mobil 1 synthetic 15w50

My Trailblazer was every 10-15k according to the book. The computer that monitored it would tell me every 7k or so based on whatever it monitors.

I would say in most all of my cars I'm a 5,000-7,500 miles changer. However with the MS3, I'm right at 3k only because it's a turbo four banger and I own it clear and want her to last. That little snail gets hot for what she does and some Mazda board members who have waited too long are paying the price.

I just did a mercedes that was 47k past due and all that came out of the oil pan was about a quart of oil and sludge.

I had one just like that not too long go on a villager. i had to fill it, run it, and drain it again. lol

I always do mine at about 2500-3000 because i drive my car hard as fuck almost constantly.

STI: Every 3K-4K. Because I change it so often, I'm not a stickler for oil type. Even conventional will work just fine for 3K.

WRX: After every other race. I've been trying different oils and filters. I'm thinking of switching to Rotella next.

Corolla: Uhhh.. Now and then. ;)

If you REALLY want to know how far you can go between changes, use Blackstone Labs.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They will analyze your used oil and tell you everything you could possibly want to know. You get a report containing all their findings, and a plain english explanation. They'll even keep track of your history and notify you of any changes. One cool thing is that they will identify any metals in the oil and can tell what parts they're likely from. Finally, they'll let you know if you should change your oil more often, or if you can go longer.

WRX: After every other race. I've been trying different oils and filters. I'm thinking of switching to Rotella next.

That reminds me - I'm considering the same thing for AutoX this season. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I never followed that plan perfectly in past seasons.

That reminds me - I'm considering the same thing for AutoX this season. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that I never followed that plan perfectly in past seasons.

Well, sometimes I didn't change it until my prep for the next race.. Some people change after every race, but I'm too lazy.

I havne't been using Blackstone though.. I'm going to start this year and see what the oil looks like after a couple races. We'll see.

Full synthetic every 5000 miles. Its overkill but oh well. This is the 06 civic i'm talking about

Thats what that car calls for for "Light duty" I was told be the dealer if non mobil 1 full syn is used my warranty would be void.

Thats what that car calls for for "Light duty" I was told be the dealer if non mobil 1 full syn is used my warranty would be void.

Bull. I doubt they use Mobil 1 in Japan. Read your owner's manual. I'd be shocked if it says you must use Mobil 1.

Bull. I doubt they use Mobil 1 in Japan. Read your owner's manual. I'd be shocked if it says you must use Mobil 1.

Its what I was told by the dealer..and the civics we drive are made in Marysville.