What vehicle platform needs attention in Columbus?

DTM Brian

Guest Removed
Actually, I have been very busy with both sport bikes and cruisers. Working on some deals now to do some local bike nights.

cool, there is a bike shop going in 3 doors down from me

Brady does diesels, but gasoline trucks are more common.

What about EEPROM cars, like the 3rd Gen F-Bodies and such?

that kind of what i meant by the lt1 cars...most seem to be eeprom. chipp burning and so on

I'm not sure how popular that new genisis from hyundai is going to be to mod but you might look into it...

kia/hyundai will not release anything for those. it voids all warrantys and so on. and they will tell you that you cant reflash the ecus. even tho, we did it all the time. but i had several come in, from from other shops, that was messing around with and fired the ecu. hell a k&n drop in filter is all your allowed to do. with them you have to ad stuff thru the dealer. a few people wanted performance tunes, but just cant do it.now over in korea, theres tons of stuff for them. they dont think there is a market here for it..which i informed them they was way wrong. other then no one is modding kias, cause there is nothing for them here.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Brandon said, European cars will be the wave of the future IMO. And to echo others, Chrysler is probably a good chunk of tuning.

Is there anything out there for Nissan? I see more and more 350Zs cropping up.

Like Brandon said, European cars will be the wave of the future IMO. And to echo others, Chrysler is probably a good chunk of tuning.

im workin on a nissan deal here soon hopefully been talking to some software companies.

I have not driven anywhere in the last month without seeing at least one 350z. There seems to be more of them on the road than mustangs these days. After my stratus is paid off the wife is hell bent on getting one. We checked out a few at the toy barn but they were sold so fast it wasnt even funny.

Not sure if this is helpful at all but:

There really isn't anyplace locally to get an APR flash for VW/AUDI/PORSCHE that I am aware of. I had to drive to Norton, OH (ECSTUNING). For that matter, their turbo kits / ect. would be nice as well for local support.

Might be worth looking into becoming an APR facility.....would probably have a ton of guys that would rather have somebody local, I know I would.

:)

you mentioned Mazdas, does anybody locally work with the MS3 and MS6? There's obviously performance potential with those platforms and the owners are likely to want to go that route (I'm saying this because they bought the fun/performance car to begin with).

Currently I believe that COBB offers a programmer for the vehicle that seems to be the way to go, but is there an option to custom tune those platforms? I would think that good experience with tuning direct injection setups would likely lend itself well into the DI engines from BMW and other manufacturers going that way.

you mentioned Mazdas, does anybody locally work with the MS3 and MS6? There's obviously performance potential with those platforms and the owners are likely to want to go that route (I'm saying this because they bought the fun/performance car to begin with).

Currently I believe that COBB offers a programmer for the vehicle that seems to be the way to go, but is there an option to custom tune those platforms? I would think that good experience with tuning direct injection setups would likely lend itself well into the DI engines from BMW and other manufacturers going that way.

I'm looking into the MS vehicles right now.

Also Brian the future is in German/ European cars in terms of a tap that is not run dry. Waiting for the release of some flasher for vw/audi/porsche ect and there will be a new wave of tunes.

OTS flash tunes are easy enough to get. Its the custom tunes that are lacking. The closest place for me to get a custom tune is in Detroit. We need a place like EPL in Ohio.

http://www.eplabs.net/

I'm all for it for obvious reasons, but from a business standpoint, considering the MS3 & MS6 were produced in limited numbers to begin with, the market here is relatively small. Again, not sure what the costs to get into it would be, but I know roughly on 5k units per year were sold.

When I worked out on the east side, about 2 years ago now, there were signs that said Mazda tuning and gave a number, one of them was in the grass median just north of eastland mall right before it goes over I70, cant think of the road name.

Does anyone in town do just engine dyno?

I have my engine built by a shot in Detroit and then 'broken in' a little and got a baseline tune on their engine dyno before I dropped it in the car.

Worth it IMO because it found some problems that would have been hard to find after the install (more crap to weed out)

I'm all for it for obvious reasons, but from a business standpoint, considering the MS3 & MS6 were produced in limited numbers to begin with, the market here is relatively small. Again, not sure what the costs to get into it would be, but I know roughly on 5k units per year were sold.

Quite true Tim, I didnt realize the production numbers on the MS cars were so low. But, once again, I'm willing to bet a higher proportion of those owners are looking to tune their vehicles.

I also still maintain that tuning direct injected cars should be the focus to stay on track of where the market is going. Perhaps the MS cars would be a nice way to test that out.

Not sure if this is helpful at all but:

There really isn't anyplace locally to get an APR flash for VW/AUDI/PORSCHE that I am aware of. I had to drive to Norton, OH (ECSTUNING). For that matter, their turbo kits / ect. would be nice as well for local support.

Might be worth looking into becoming an APR facility.....would probably have a ton of guys that would rather have somebody local, I know I would.

:)

You drove to ECS when you could get the clearly superior GIAC locally? (I might be biased based on what's in my car though :D ).

I agree with everyone that stated that there's a sever lack of custom tunes for european cars within a reasonable distance. When I eventually get around to doing more mods than the standard set that are already on the E55 the closest place to get a custom tune is Chicago. That said, I'd contact LET in Chicago about a possible central ohio partnership if any of you were looking to expand. They actually do remote custom tunes which is a pretty slick setup. There's lots of 55Kompressor motors running around in the various platform cars now with alot of potential for tuning and great gains. Still on the mercedes side there's LOTS of speculation that most of the changes to de-tune the C63 vs. the E and CLS cars with the same motor was all done in the Tune. I know Andy with MHP locally is already ahead of the game on this but could be something you guys look into as well.

More and more heavily modified E46 M3's running around now that they're cheaper. Headers and cat deletes and Cam swaps are prooving to be great sources of power for the cars but without turning off the post-cat o2 monitoring a CEL is guaranteed AND to get the most power out of them it requires some custom tune. Mail order is still the only good option for that car for custom tunes. (Discovery Automotive seems to be THE source for custom tuning S54 cars.)

Andy

You drove to ECS when you could get the clearly superior GIAC locally? (I might be biased based on what's in my car though :D ).

True that. GIAC has better performance gains too from what I've seen.

...remote custom tunes which is a pretty slick setup.

I had the option to do that, but decided to just drive to Chicago and let them do it there. (Its a different place that just happens to be in Chicago also). It is a cool idea but it takes longer since you have to log, send logs, receive tune, rinse, repeat. I prefer to have the tuner in my car, actually doing it hands on. Also keeps me from having to top out 3rd gear on the street to get some logs. :D

Andy

The only problem with GIAC is you have to work with Auto Assets. I will never give them another penny of my money, and I know many people that only use them for their flash capability because of similar sentiments.

As Jones said, I would look into becoming a retailer of APR. They have a full range of products for Audi/VW/Porsche and are VERY popular. I will be getting APR's software next summer and as Jones said, a 1.5-2 hour drive is in order to do that.

True that. GIAC has better performance gains too from what I've seen.

I had the option to do that, but decided to just drive to Chicago and let them do it there. (Its a different place that just happens to be in Chicago also). It is a cool idea but it takes longer since you have to log, send logs, receive tune, rinse, repeat. I prefer to have the tuner in my car, actually doing it hands on. Also keeps me from having to top out 3rd gear on the street to get some logs. :D

As far as the 2.0T's go, all of the chip tuners seem to be producing very similar gains. The battle of who can get 5 more hp at redline is less important than a competent local shop with quality customer service.

Does anyone in town do just engine dyno?

I have my engine built by a shot in Detroit and then 'broken in' a little and got a baseline tune on their engine dyno before I dropped it in the car.

Worth it IMO because it found some problems that would have been hard to find after the install (more crap to weed out)

THAT would be cool.