Need opinions - What's my car worth?

caseyctsv

I know you all probably hate these threads but I have a meeting with a financial planner this week and one of the things he wants to know is the worth of my car. I have kicked around selling it for about 2 years but have not been able to bring myself to do it. I have grown up a bit and am now looking to my financial future and, depending on what it's worth, I need to make a decision. (i.e. if it is worth 9K it is not worth selling but if it is worth 30K - I know it's not by the way just an example - it would be sold) I want your independent opinion as I am afraid mine will be a bit biased. I have done research on LS1Tech and while you can see what people are asking it does not say what they sold for. I have also not found a comparable car to mine. They are either highly modified or < 10K mile stock cars. I know in the end it is only worth what someone will pay for it but your opinions are welcome here!

It is a 2002 WS6, 44K miles, 6 speed with all options. I am the 2nd owner and have had it since 8K miles. It is a cam / bolt on car. Has a very small street cam in it with hooker longtubes, offroad y-pipe, and Corsa exhaust. The valvetrain was upgraded when the cam was installed. I have all of the parts except the exhaust to take it back to stock.

I just want to make an educated decision on this one - I do not need to sell it but it may be worth selling to accelerate my financial plans. Here is a recent pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/casey02ws6/IMG_5748copy_web.jpg

I cant help you with the price, but that car is gorgous and in looks to be great shape, there are always people willing to pay more for a car that is semi rare , im in that boat right now im willing to pay more then nada for a car if its the right one.

I'm going to try to not go toooooo sideways with you on this one, but hear me out.

In the talks we've had I can tell that you care about that car quite a bit. To the financial advisor it's just a number. To you it's memories filled with that great sound and the feel of finding a great open road.

There are many different justifications you can make for either decision. If you want to sell, you'll say "there are plenty more cars out there, and I can always buy/build another one like it later." Or you can remember a past car you sold that you still wish you had again, and don't want this one to be the same way.

I honestly believe that the car means more to you mentally/emotionally than it's worth on the open market.

Only 8 of them have gone thru the Ohio auction recently with those options

With 55k miles it sold at Auction for $12525

With 27k miles it sold at Auction for $15660

If I were going to sell that car. It would be around 15-17k retail. I would not take any less then 15k.

Guest dsm8u
I just picked up a ws6 identical.about same mods for 15.i just bought it for my everyday driver so i can get my build started on the evo.U should be able to get at least 15.

1. You will seriously jeapordize my friendship if you sell that baby :p

2. I understand your point and position, but would also suggest you seriously think about it before selling it. IMO, pull the t-tops off and never put them back on and enjoy that beatiful car. Best sounding F-body here IMO.

3. I am missing my S-2000 and my Bike, both of which I sold for similar reasons and now would have to spend a lot more to get them and similiar enjoyment back. I kinda regret it, but have accepted it.

$12-$16k......is it really worth parting with? I vote keep it and find another way.

I looked it up on Manheim Market Report, and the 13k-15k seems to be about accurate. Now all of the cars on Manheim went through other auctions(none from Ohio on the Manheim Report). However even at the Lauderdale/Miami auto auction 31k did $13,600. So there is some info for your decision.

However, from experience if you do not have to sell it, don't. You will more than likely regret it. Maybe adjust something else budget wise, and accumulate the money over time. I also agree that the car is just a number to a financial planner. However a car like that is not just a number.

Good Luck

Casey, your car is flawless and tastefully modified. I think the low teens is about all most people would pay. I would think that most people who would want your car couldn't get a loan on an older car and it's not considered a collector car yet. So selling it would be a long process anyway. So here is my very blunt opinion,

DON'T BE STUPID, KEEP THE CAR, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Responsibility can't always be first priority, there has to be a few things in life to make it interesting. If you don't have to, then don't.

FYI, back in 2005, I got almost $15K for my 2000 WS6 Formula, but it had less miles and was back to stock. If you do sell, I highly recommend that you put it back to stock... :nod:

Not sure I agree with putting it back to stock though. I'm the type of person who looks at the owner as well as the car in the case of mods. He comes across very professional, lives in Powell and given all the cards here, I think it would be good to leave it as is. Tastefully done. Now if he looked the part of Earl from What about Earl, then I would say otherwise. :D

Not sure I agree with putting it back to stock though. I'm the type of person who looks at the owner as well as the car in the case of mods. He comes across very professional, lives in Powell and given all the cards here, I think it would be good to leave it as is. Tastefully done. Now if he looked the part of Earl from What about Earl, then I would say otherwise. :D

You get more money from a stock car, plus you make money off of the parts you sell. That's why I did it and as your description of Casey, I could be his twin. Other than I'm younger and better looking. :p

Seriously, I tried to sell mine modified and had no luck. So I put it back to stock and then sold it... :)

Honestly, the only reason I'd sell it, is if you were really hard up and needed the money. I always think of my primary fun car (in this case, the Cobra) in the sense that sooner or later, I'll sell that and get something else that's better. For me, it's gonna have to be a C6 Z06, but right now, I don't want that kind of car payment. All 5 of my cars are paid for and I have no other bills. I kind of like that. So really, if it was me, is there something else you want to replace it, can or do you want to afford that upgrade, or are you just done with having a fun car in general? :confused:

It's paid for so keep it unless your not much of a car guy anymore.

I thought for a split second about selling mine to buy a C6 but my SS was my first brand new car that I bought and have a lot of great memories with it, since its been paid for, it costs me very little to enjoy it.

If you do sell, please wait till next year till we're back on our feet then we'll buy it at a fair price!