Those of you who've built engines

Cordell

I've changed my oil for the second time in the Camaro since I got it running, total about 1000 miles, 500 per change. Just using conventional oil nothing special. The little bit of metal particles is really bothering me. The first oil change there was some and I don't want to say a lot of really fine metal on the magnetic plug, today for the second time there was far less but there was still some there. I took the filter apart and there was some faint sparkle, not much, but caught in the filter media (most of which is just from cutting the filter open). I cleaned the engine multiple times during assembly, and checked all the clearences, some twice. Car runs great, very smooth (well as good as any cammed engine can). This just bugs the shit out of me. Any one want to put in their 2 cents?

Scott, this is about the same that I experienced with my 4AG corolla build. I ran it a good 2,000 miles and 4 oil changes with shitty Advance Auto oil and each time it got better as far as metal shavings.

Scott, this is about the same that I experienced with my 4AG corolla build. I ran it a good 2,000 miles and 4 oil changes with shitty Advance Auto oil and each time it got better as far as metal shavings.

Good to hear, car still runs good?

your going to get a little metal during break in

get worried if you lose oil pressure or the oil starts to look like metallic paint

Oil it self looked pretty good as it drained and I caught some, oil pressure has been rock solid, staying over 40 psi according to the stock gauge.

As mentioned above this is pretty common for engines being broken in. I have almost 2000 miles on the last engine I built and the metal shavings are just now clearing up. What weight of oil are you using?

5w30, stock tolerances

Ive never had any metal shavings on new builds. I have had all the graphite assembly lube washed out in the oil. And the second oil change has always been clean.

What type of lube did you use?

Royal Purple's assembly lube Maxtuff

i didn't have alot when i rebuilt my engine. just the normal amount that you would see on your average oil change. i think your being too anal about it. i changed the oil at about 200-300 miles over to amsoil and thats the last time i have changed it. that was earily marchish.

i didn't have alot when i rebuilt my engine. just the normal amount that you would see on your average oil change. i think your being too anal about it. i changed the oil at about 200-300 miles over to amsoil and thats the last time i have changed it. that was earily marchish.

stop being anal...its fine...shits just wearing in

Okay, thats what I hoped was going on.

some is proably off the surface of the bearings there is a coating. not a brake in coating but it does wear on breakin. then there is always som machin shop metel from bore and hone. no matter how good u clean the block

u did clean the block ?

some is proably off the surface of the bearings there is a coating. not a brake in coating but it does wear on breakin. then there is always som machin shop metel from bore and hone. no matter how good u clean the block

u did clean the block ?

Cleaned it a couple times, and really well before final assembly.

Good to hear, car still runs good?

Yessir! I'm unsure of current mileage now but I had switched it over to synthetic from the crappy motor oil and ran it at one drift even after I got the carbs sync'd up and jetted properly before I sold it. Had it tached out at 11k a couple times for a mere 4-5 seconds at a time without grenading, so all was well. Oil was always clear after initial break in of 2,000 and my synthetic switch. Boy, I would love to do another build like that..

Regardless, I don't think you have much to worry about as others have mentioned.. just watch for larger chunks or loss of oil pressure.