What is the law on...

Buck531

Returning a car from a dealership?

Mother in-law picked up the 02 GPGT a few weeks ago. Picked it up last Monday, Friday I took it in and told them about the lower intake gaskets and the alignment.

Fast forward to last night. I picked up the car. Ran fine. They did all the work under the 30 day warranty. Drove it to mother in-laws house and went home.

Today she gets in it and she calls and said the oil light is on and it won't stay running.

It could be a vac line, it could be a blown motor (scares me with the oil light on).

I'm going to call Dave Gill tonight after I look at it and make them tow it to their shop to look at it.

What do you think it would take for us to try to get out of this deal? Is it even possible? I know they could fix it and/or just replace the motor, but what else could be wrong with it? Is there a way I could just say "hey, we dont' want this car, we want the money back, and we're backing out of this deal". ?

Edit - Picked up the car on June 29th. Told them about the gasket on July 3rd. Picked it up on the 8th.

In Ohio, there is no return clause on vehicles. Because you went to the dealer, liability is yours. The best you can do at this point is seek legal counsel for a possible lemon law, but since it's used and past the warranty period you're probably tough luck.

Sucks dude.

Some dealers have a 3 day window to return (The Subie dealer did) other then that unless someone came to YOU and tried to sell you something they don't have to offer a return policy. Your best bet if it's broken is the lemon law...

http://www.statelemonlaw.org/ohiolemonlaw.html

Lemonlaw=New Cars.

Good luck

Keep good documentation of everything. If after the 30 days something goes wrong with it and can be linked to issues you are having now, you can get those taken care of too. For example if there is a oil pressure problem now, they stick a new pump on it and a month later it spins a rod bearing. Since you can link it to a problem that was in their 30 day warrenty period, they should make the neccesary repairs. I delt with this on a transmission on a used car. Took it in multiple times during the little warranty they gave me and they fixed various things. Two months later the transmission blows. In the end they put in a new tranny.

Depends on the year...

Buck... I'd work the hell out of them for the 30 days.

That's what I'm planning on.

I'm just curious on the current situation where the car won't start.

Should they happen to have to replace the motor, should I just keep the car or tell them to take the car back.

Used cars are always sold AS-IS.. even a full warranty is arguable as to what should/would be covered.

Good luck with that one.

It depends on what the used car buyers guide sticker on the window said. She would have signed this form stating it has a 30 day warranty. It gives details as to what is covered and for how long and who's responsible for the cost of parts & labor.

It depends on what the used car buyers guide sticker on the window said. She would have signed this form stating it has a 30 day warranty. It gives details as to what is covered and for how long and who's responsible for the cost of parts & labor.

It said 100% warranty for 30 days. We still have the sticker and all the documentation. I would NOT have let her buy the car if it didn't come with a full warranty.

Speaking for a dealer, they do not have to take the car back. Here is something to think about though, if you sign paperwork and decide you don't want the car, a dealer must negate the deal.

The purchased vehicle must leave the lot for a sale to be official.

Sorry to get off track. Make them fix everything, Buck. Check the mileage allowance on the used car buyers guide. Make sure you dont go over before all your issues are addressed.

It's ok. My mother in-law just didn't have the starter engaged for very long :).

It runs, starts, and drives fine :).

The only thing she has EVER owned was a Ford. It'll take some time to get used to the GP.