Whats your take

KennyFKINPowerz

Ok so here is my delima. So I have 4 kids 3 sons and a daughter. My sons are 13, 11 and 6 and my daughter is 7. Now as you can imagine my daughter is a little roougher than most girls. I think mainly because she is around all boys for the most part. So my wife and I have really tried hard over the last year to make her more of a lady and less of a tom boy. So I started this Camaro project with the boys to hopefully teach them something. The boys are really in to it. So far they have been working late nights in the garage and are starting to pick things up. Its pretty cool to see your kids picking parts out of the Jegs catalog. Anyway my problem is that since we started this project my daughter has had to watch this bonding I am doing with the boys. She has been begging me to let her help with the car and I have been trying to keep her from it because I am afraid she will go backwards on all that we have worked with her on. What are your guys take? Should I involve her and let her help or should I keep this between the boys and I.

So wait you're trying to "program" her into being lady like? I don't have kids so if you feel my opinion is worthless I understand, but, just let her be herself and if that means being tomboyish so be it.

Why not let her join in? She could easily be better at this sort of thing than her brothers are. Give her a go at it for a day and she may not like it at all.

You could also throw in a curveball and maybe send her and her mother off some where to do lady things, just the two of them. I hope like hell when I have kids that they are interested in this type of stuff, regardless of their sex.

edit-just seen your reply above mine. I vote give her a day to see if she actually likes it or not. she may just want to be part of the group more than anything. If she don't like it I'm sure her and her step mother could find plenty of things to do together so she doesn't feel left out.

Her mom is in the picture but she is wothless. Step mom (my wife) does a lot for her but they dont have anything special that just the two of them do. I dont have anything that just her and I do either.

well then ide find somethign you two can do just the two of you cause your singling her out of activities an sinces shes a girl might feel left out an two shes a women so shes crazy :p goodluck man

So wait you're trying to "program" her into being lady like? I don't have kids so if you feel my opinion is worthless I understand, but, just her be herself and if that means being tomboyish so be it.

Why not let her join in? She could easily be better at this sort of thing than her brothers are. Give her a go at it for a day and she may not like it at all.

You could also throw in a curveball and maybe send her and her mother off some where to do lady things, just the two of them. I hope like hell when I have kids that they are interested in this type of stuff, regardless of their sex.

edit-just seen your reply above mine. I vote give her a day to she if she actually likes it or not. she may just to be part of the group more than anything. If she don't like it I'm sure her and her step mother could find plenty of things to do together so she doesn't feel left out.

Its not that I am saying her helping with the car is not lady like. She has threatend older kids that she was going to beat them up and she beats up her older brothers and was just really rough. So we decided we needed to show her what being a lady was. My fear that if I let her in to this world then she would kind of go back to her old habbits. In all honesty she probably would be better than the boys at this but I am just kinda teetering on this one.

I probably wouldn't let a 6 & 7 year old work on a car anyways, but I think the mom should probably be spending time with your daughter while you're with the boys.

Says the guy without kids, no offence Farkas but kids can do plenty. I was helping out my dad when I was 3, obviously I wasn't doing much more then handing him tools and parts but I got to be involved.

My daughter doesn't show much interest in helping me work on my stuff, but if she did I wouldn't mind. When my wife has time she trys to help out and then my daughter wants to be part of the party, neither of them do much but its nice to have them interested. I love it, and she won't hesitate to ride on my ATV or hold the laptop while I'm datalogging.

I'd let your daughter help out.

Its not that I am saying her helping with the car is not lady like. She has threatend older kids that she was going to beat them up and she beats up her older brothers and was just really rough. So we decided we needed to show her what being a lady was. My fear that if I let her in to this world then she would kind of go back to her old habbits. In all honesty she probably would be better than the boys at this but I am just kinda teetering on this one.

She's 7 dude. she's got plenty of time to be lady like. Think of it this way. the tougher she is the less likely she'll let some dude push her around later in life. I grew up with 4 sisters, one of the 4 was always into cars, meaner than shit and far from a lady. This all changed once she hit high school.

I say find something that you can do together with her that is special for her. The time working on the car is special for your boys, so you should take some time out to do something special for just her and you.

I think you missed this little part.

"She has been begging me to let her help with the car "

Kid deserves a chance if she's truly interested. What makes the boys any different? One day would determine whether or not she does have interest or she just feels left out.

I think you missed this little part.

"She has been begging me to let her help with the car "

Kid deserves a chance if she's truly interested. What makes the boys any different? One day would determine whether or not she does have interest or she just feels left out.

I am thinking I am gonna give her a shot this weekend and let her decide if it is something that she is going to like. Now I have to see if I can deal with Hey Dad, Hey Dad, Hey Dad, Hey Dad, Hey Dad, Hey Dad, Hey Dad, Hey Dad, Hey Dad.

Yes let her help!! My 7 year old daughter helps me from time to time with my car. If anything teach her what the tools are and have her hand you and the other boys tools like I do.

Forget molding your daughter into what you want her to be. Let her do what she wants to (within reason) and let her figure out whats right for her.

Thats called being a parent. You have to show your children how to be well rounded if even if they do not want to. He's showing her how to be a lady young. When she gets older she will be able to make her own choices but she will always have the teachings of her parents in the back of her head to fall back on.

Edited by V8 Beast