Test drove a GP GXP today...

Snowflake

...and was pretty impressed. It was an 06 Grand Prix GXP. The car had some decent acceleration with pretty heavy torque steer but not that much more than the GTP. The car handled pretty good for the size of it. Brakes werent too bad Id say they were about as good as my Trans am which is way better then my GTP and F150.

The interior is way better than any of my current cars. I like it a lot and so does the old lady who has the final say so anyway since we would be trading in the truck for it if we decided to get it. Head-up display is pimp. Xm radio is ok too...

I know of at least one person on here that has owned one. I have done a lot of internet research but would like to hear some first hand experiences with it.

The DOD sounds like a cool idea but are there any problems with it. Power wise I think it might be a little faster than my GTP which ran 14.1@97...

Any info is helpful info.

pm ppdd somethign or other the photo guy that has the speed3 he had one

i had this body style grandprix but i just had a gp an dam i loved it sucks i sold it... :(

sorry dont have much insight inregards to eth 5.3 motor but it runs strongggg an over the years has proved its been good so far

edit:: tim had one here

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/member.php?u=3447

i had this body style grandprix but i just had a gp an dam i loved it sucks i sold it... :(

sorry dont have much insight inregards to eth 5.3 motor but it runs strongggg an over the years has proved its been good so far

pdggp

No first hand experience with one, but those cars lost my interest when I realized there just isn't much you can do to them. If you buy one I hope you like it just the way it is.

Yeah, Ive been looking into aftermarket on the down low because I have to convince the old lady that I wont be out raising hell in it. Not much out there.

I figured exhaust and dyno tune would be good enough for a daily driver for the girl. I would however be losing the truck in the process but I would just use my GTP as my work car. It gets better gas mileage anyway and has 135k on it now...

...and was pretty impressed. It was an 06 Grand Prix GXP. The car had some decent acceleration with pretty heavy torque steer but not that much more than the GTP. The car handled pretty good for the size of it. Brakes werent too bad Id say they were about as good as my Trans am which is way better then my GTP and F150.

The interior is way better than any of my current cars. I like it a lot and so does the old lady who has the final say so anyway since we would be trading in the truck for it if we decided to get it. Head-up display is pimp. Xm radio is ok too...

I know of at least one person on here that has owned one. I have done a lot of internet research but would like to hear some first hand experiences with it.

The DOD sounds like a cool idea but are there any problems with it. Power wise I think it might be a little faster than my GTP which ran 14.1@97...

Any info is helpful info.

Here you go:

GP wise, I've owned 1 GT, 2 GTP's and 1 GXP. Mine was an 06. Favorite of the bunch by far. Would easily run 13.9's. Comfy seats...same as CTS-V's. Excellent braking for a big car. No issues there. Mine was loaded up and had all the toys.

I won't go on about the good stuff as you've seen it.

The bad:

1. Tranny is the weak point. More than a handful of completely stock ones have failed. Mine only had 16k on the ODO when I sold it and it was just barely starting to see tranny issues. I did not abuse her by any means either. Drove spiritedly but only tracked her twice for a total of about 9 runs.

2. Power steering. Mine was failing and needed the rack replaced. Yes, with only 16k on it.

3. Water pump. Had mine replaced at 12k. Limped home during the summer. Thankfully a short drive.

4. Had my battery replaced. Yep, good old Delco Deadness. That was within the first 12 months.

5. Tires. Same freaking summer rubber as my MS3. DO NOT try them in the snow if they have some wear on them. I had mine out in some dustings, but otherwise, run winter or all season rubber. Check sizes though as there aren't many choices. They also can NOT be rotated as they are different sizes F&R.

6. 5.3l motor has been very strong, several are holding 6lbs boost and over 500whp without issues. Again, see tranny comment. No issues with DOD. Never read any either. Works 110% seemlessly. The only way you'll know it's engaged is you'll see the real time mpg's jump. Downside is in the city even with my wife driving, it averaged 16mpg at best. It ran a bit rich but still. On the freeway, I could average 26-28mpg which wasn't bad IMO.

Overall, I loved the car. Best sounding stock sedan GM made in recent time. I loved remote starting her cold. People would turn their heads looking for a T/A or Vette. Good style, bit dated, but nice. Some will pick on the Pontiac interior, but it was the nicest of the GP's out there. I do miss her, especially the ride and handling. Big but very firm and controlled. I bought mine after my second 5 day trip to Bondurant where we drove Z06's, CTS-V's and the GXP. The GXP was consistently on the heals of the Caddy. They really showed me how to "drive" the car and not be afraid of pushing it to the limits. Let's just say on the streets, you'll be lucky to push her that hard and not get busted by the cops.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0506_front_rear_allwheel_drive/index.html

I don't regret owning it. For me it was meant to tide me over until the G8 GXP's but timing was way off and I just decided to down-size and try the sport compact route since I missed the toss-able S2000 I had.

This was mine: http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/2006_gxp

Hope all this helps. Just PM with Q's.

PDQGP

Damn, thats high as shit. The one I looked at was an 05 with 35k for around 13k.

I agree. July of 08 I had mine advertised for $13.5k.....mind you, 16k on the ODO and $32 brand new.....zero nibbles. However, Premium Gas was $4.60/Gal. Once people her V8, they walked. Go figure.

I drive one from time to time, I don't like the exhaust note so that would be my first mod. They spin for FOREVER it seems, had minimal torque steer, but bone stock it was dead nuts even with a gsr integra that had some minor mods. I was definitely impressed with it though. 06 got it for $16k with 20k.

Like Tim said, the weak point is the transmissions... (I replaced mine 4 times before I got rid of it with 80k on it.)

the GP's are nice cars and handle very well in all weather, but god damn, I got tired of having the transmission going out. (And I drive like a grandpa)

Went to go get this car today and the dealership said they were firm on the 18,900 price tag on it. Even after they told me they only paid 15k for it they still wouldnt budge on the price at all. I been looking at that same car on their lot for 2 months now.

They also had a never titled GNX Grand National on the showroom for 129,000 dollars :eek:

O'well Im going to look at one at Dan Tobin tomorrow thats already priced a thousand lower than the one I looked at today...Probably just ebd up keeping the truck...

Had one for a few days and couldn't stand it....

Typical crap interior, 4 speed auto, and useless power until you are at 60+ on warm dry pavement, it did pull pretty decently on the freeway though. Front tires larger than the rear in a vein attempt to correct the idiocy involved in it's creation.

Cue "gay audi" comments.

EDIT: Great Review:

http://www.carthrottle.com/youre-doing-it-wrong-chevrolet-impala-ss/

Went to go get this car today and the dealership said they were firm on the 18,900 price tag on it. Even after they told me they only paid 15k for it they still wouldnt budge on the price at all. I been looking at that same car on their lot for 2 months now.

They also had a never titled GNX Grand National on the showroom for 129,000 dollars :eek:

O'well Im going to look at one at Dan Tobin tomorrow thats already priced a thousand lower than the one I looked at today...Probably just ebd up keeping the truck...

Same thing happened to me when I looked at the 05. It was at the dealer on Sawmill rd off 270 right there. Said 15,900 was the lowest they could go. I walked out. 2 months later, same car for 12,900 lol. Douch bags. I was considering buying it, and had they offered me it for 13k, probably would have taken it. So glad they were douche bags because I would have HATED that car after the 300hp was old news.

Had one for a few days and couldn't stand it....

Typical crap interior, 4 speed auto, and useless power until you are at 60+ on warm dry pavement, it did pull pretty decently on the freeway though. Front tires larger than the rear in a vein attempt to correct the idiocy involved in it's creation.

Cue "gay audi" comments.

EDIT: Great Review:

http://www.carthrottle.com/youre-doing-it-wrong-chevrolet-impala-ss/

You would hate that, you dash stroker..................

wait a second :p