Bike insurance BS, plz help inside...

AWW$HEEET

So I email my insurance agent to drop coverage on the bike today, and he says "well, i can drop the comprehensive, and leave theft and fire damage on it, but it wouldnt be good to un-insure the bike totally". So I told him to just take it off, I dont really care. He says that if I drop insurance completely, he wont be able to write me a policy for Progressive in the spring because they wont re-insure the bike.

Is this some BS sales tactic, or will the legitimately not insure me come spring time if I drop insurance now?

No clue if it is normal or not.

I take my bike down to Fire and Theft on Oct 14 and back to full coverage on April 14. I have done this since I got my first bike MANY years ago.

My Agent even lets me do this while having a Loan on the bike :D However, if I ride it and something happens.. I am fucked. ;)

KillJoy

My Progressive bike policy does not have a "lay up" period like a lot of bike policies. It's like $100 for the entire 12 months.

You can try a "I sold it to a friend and then bought it back in the Spring", but how much are you really saving?

My policy was the same way. When asked, they stated there could be a warm day in january if I wanted to ride. I said no thanks and cancelled it. Just restarted it back up in april with a cheaper rate.

Yamaha Financial (HSBC) does not care on bikes less than 5k (if I recall correctly). Plus, If shit hit the fan and I somehow managed to total a dualsport, I would just pay the balance off in cash.

Interesting. First I have ever heard of not needing full coverage. Most banks impose full coverage (minus liability) insurance when people fail to maintain their own full coverage policies.

Its because the motorcycle financing is usually via a credit card, therefore its unsecured financing and they do not require insurance.

bingo, although like I said, if its more than 5k, they require it. while it would behoove me to carry it, I dont think its completely necessary in my case.

Yeah, allstate will do the same thing just about. They'll say "It's against the law in your state to drop liability on a currently registered motorcycle." Odd, because my parents have a combined 40+ years of insurance experience, and they seem to think it's BS. You gotta drop your policy altogether, and re-up with them or elsewhere later.

bingo, although like I said, if its more than 5k, they require it. while it would behoove me to carry it, I dont think its completely necessary in my case.

Not true. I had HSBC for my last bike (total regret too using them) and I was much more than $5k and I never once had full coverage. Just liability.

Mine is $1,100 for a year of Liability. You can only imagine what full coverage is. Anything over 1,000cc's is a "superbike", assholes. Plus there is a price break for insurance on bikes at 22 I believe.

I think you're insurance company just sucks balls and fucks you over. I am NO WHERE NEAR $1100/year with a labeled "superbike".....and the whole age 22 thing...not happenin.

army ;)

lets get srs, guard/reserve doesnt pay that much

Not true. I had HSBC for my last bike (total regret too using them) and I was much more than $5k and I never once had full coverage. Just liability.

HSBC is a non issue if you pay your bills on time and dont act like a cock munch.