Had the house insulated today.

Buck531

Holy shit what a complete difference. I had this company called Dan's Insulation come out. Him and his dad came out last Friday and popped off a piece of siding and started to blow the insulation in. Wrong. The machine they were using wasn't working. No power. Fast forward to today. Fixed the machine. About 4 hours later it's done.

You can put your hand on the wall and feel the difference. Hell, knock on the wall and you can feel that it's solid now as before you could tell it was hollow. There's no "chill" upstairs that you would normally feel and I've already dropped the thermostat down a degree. The furnace only runs for 5 minutes now and not 15 like it did before (every 20 or 30 minutes between turning on).

He did end up giving me a discount because of the machine not working last week. I had him insulate the ceiling on the back part of the house (sunroom-ish/addition) that would have normally been $150.

I just can't wait to see what my gas bill will be like next month. This month was $163.

nice...i saw our gas bill today (which the g/f pays), and it was only like $67 for the month...surprised me since it was like 101 last month. this is for a 1400 sq/ft 3 level split. i didnt think it was too bad, especially with how cold its been

Ive got a 1200 sq/ft apt in Dublin, its older so im sure its not as energy efficient as it could be but i never pay more than 55$ a month for my gas heat.

Buck be sure to post up your gas bill for next month to show the difference. Chances are if you can feel the difference it'll only be a few months before it pays for itself. How much was the whole job? didnt you say it was only a few hundred?

Ive got a 1200 sq/ft apt in Dublin, its older so im sure its not as energy efficient as it could be but i never pay more than 55$ a month for my gas heat.

Buck be sure to post up your gas bill for next month to show the difference. Chances are if you can feel the difference it'll only be a few months before it pays for itself. How much was the whole job? didnt you say it was only a few hundred?

but im guessing if its an apartment, you're probably sharing at least one wall with a neighbor, right? that will help it some as well...a house has cold air coming at it from all sides.

and my house is 25 years old, so im sure it could be much better insulated

but im guessing if its an apartment, you're probably sharing at least one wall with a neighbor, right? that will help it some as well...a house has cold air coming at it from all sides.

and my house is 25 years old, so im sure it could be much better insulated

a few walls, and floors actually. im on the second floor and really theres one half of the apt that is the outer wall, other than that there are apts all around... which is a blessing and a curse of course. I may have a lower gas bill but i get to enjoy gangster rap until 1am, the crazy cat lady that lets her cats wonder the communal hallways and the guy who always bangs on my bedroom wall when me and my girl are "too loud", mutherfucker im tryin to do work and your gonna interrupt me? asshole.

Gotta love apartments.

He did my house for $950. I think he measured somewhere around 1350 sq feet.

Hell, it hasn't even been a full day and my wife and I are like "woah.. there's no more cold chill".

My son is on the corner bedroom and I asked him if he felt a difference and he said yeah it didn't seem as cold.

nice...i saw our gas bill today (which the g/f pays), and it was only like $67 for the month...surprised me since it was like 101 last month. this is for a 1400 sq/ft 3 level split. i didnt think it was too bad, especially with how cold its been

they don't check the meter every month. they guess based on last year and then adjust the bill the next time the read the meter. atleast thats ow they do ours.

they don't check the meter every month. they guess based on last year and then adjust the bill the next time the read the meter. atleast thats ow they do ours.

Yeah, Columbia Gas checks the meter at my Reynoldsburg house every other month, and takes no previous months into consideration.

How do I know? This is the first year the house has sat empty, and I keep the heat very low when I'm not working on it = very low gas useage. But every time they estimate it, it is WAY high. They also put me on a budget plan (never asked to), but since I have overpaid enough to have a credit on my account, I will only pay the useage bill for the months with an actual reading. :) Even though I "owe" $150 for the month on the budget, they can't charge me a late fee since my actual amount owed is a credit.

I could call, and give them a meter reading, but calling them is a PITA, and if they aren't putting the effort into checking the meter every month during a high-useage time of year - screw them.

I just checked our last bill and for 2,800sq ft and a full finished lower level and a heated garage yet gas was only $98. Even I was shocked, but then I don't pay the bills nor ever look. Month prior was $101.

Electric was a little high IMO though. Last month $112 this month $158. Not sure on that other than perhaps a actual vs estimated read? We have heated tile floors and a secondary heating in our master bedroom that uses a boiler and a electric pump though. Occasionally the wife will put a ceramic heater on in the lower level office as she's always cold.

We got new electric meters on our house a month or so ago. I'm not sure if everyone in Columbus is getting one or just Gahanna or what. My neighbor asked me what my bill was and I couldn't remember. She said hers went up like $50 or something.

Oh. The back room we have closed off from heat (for now) is insulated. Hell, it's like 20 degrees warmer out there and it's not even heated. When I get some new windows back there I'll open up the door and eventually remove it.

Dropped the thermostat another degree today. Feels normal and still cozy. Furnace runs for 5 minutes and shuts down. 20-30 minutes later kicks back on. Before it was run for 15 minutes, off for 15, etc.

Hell, They insulated the back room and yesterday I put some plastic up on the old windows and you can really tell a difference out back even though it's not heated.

maybe i should see about doing some more in my place...my lower split is like 63-64 degrees when my thermo is set to 69 or 70

and buck - i met a guy you work with, said he does support at chase and knew you...cant remember his name but he's dating the accupuncturist (sp?) that my sister uses (Catherine Ho...lol) and we're all here at the hospital waiting around

maybe i should see about doing some more in my place...my lower split is like 63-64 degrees when my thermo is set to 69 or 70

and buck - i met a guy you work with, said he does support at chase and knew you...cant remember his name but he's dating the accupuncturist (sp?) that my sister uses (Catherine Ho...lol) and we're all here at the hospital waiting around

If you want, call Dan's Insulation. I'll get his number if you want. Just tell him Shawn over in Gahanna told ya to call him.

For the other dude I work with.. just ask him his name. Is he still there?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just an update.

Last month by bill was $115.

Today I just got a bill for this month and it was $55.

Last year I was using (in April '09) 2.2 Ccf, this year in '10, it went down to 1.2. Temp for last April was 49 degrees, this year it was 55.9.