Large driveway owners... you use what to plow?

nurkvinny

So, back in 2005 when we moved into the "new" house in Pataskala, I realized I couldn't hand shovel 350-400' worth of gravel driveway. So, I bought a plow kit for our then-new Cub Cadet 1554 lawn tractor.

The first year of plowing was horrible. No rear weights. No rear chains. Turf tires.

The last couple of years, I have used chains my dad gave me and a home-made weight box I made out of an old metal toolbox that I fill with 6 old front brake rotors.

It is very clear this year that the quality of the plow and the "oomph" of the Cub's engine and trans just isn't gonna cut it. It takes hours of short back and forth full speed runs at the piles to move them a couple inches. I can tell the tractor giving up and I am afraid it will be worthless by Spring time. I've had to damn near rebuilt the plow mounting brackets twice now.

So... those will large country drives, what do you use to clear it? Trucks, quads, compact tractors, pay someone? I will have some different solution by next Fall.

I use this on my 1800ft driveway that routinely sees 3-5ft drifts.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/IMG_1770.jpg

Its a `44-`49 (can't really tell) Ford 9N. Its got calcium loaded rear tires. It does a great job, but chains would still help I'm just to cheap to buy them.

honestly, this is the first year that I've needed anything more than a snow shovel (we just moved out into the country...) So far, my neighbor was nice enough to help us out once, once time I shoveled the damn thing myself, and the other my father in-laws good friend came over and plowed it for us (and plowed half of our yard...) so I have a feeling we'll be widening our driveway this spring :)

My parents did give us their snow thrower that they don't use, but having a gravel driveway, I've been affraid to use it.

My parents did give us their snow thrower that they don't use, but having a gravel driveway, I've been affraid to use it.

I have used a snow thrower on gravel, it works, just set the "feet" on the bottom to about 1" so it will leave some snow behind.

For a large drive way you can't beat a tractor. A cheaper way might be a 4x4 quad, but you are still looking at a couple grand. You can get a great snow blower for $1,000 that will make quick work of that too. Just depends what you want to spend. You could also get an old truck for like $1,000 with a plow, but then you will have maintenance issues and it will always be broken when it snows!

My drive is only about 100 ft long, but it is very steep. Even with an inch of snow, 4wd is required to get up the drive. For the first 7 years we lived here I used a lawn tractor with a blade and chains. I hated it because the chain are hard on the concrete. This year I bought a used king quad that had a blade. It works great. I just wish I had and winch on it.

I use a 94 suzuki 250 quad with a snow plow. When the snow is really deep I have to make the first pass with the blade up. You also have to start with a really wide path on the first storm. After you have a side pile built up it wont throw it over the pile so any new snow just keeps creeping in untill it is a fairly narrow drive, which is what I have now. My drive is about 350' and there is a "T" apron where I turn left to the house or right to the shop.

When the snow is really deep I have to make the first pass with the blade up. You also have to start with a really wide path on the first storm. After you have a side pile built up it wont throw it over the pile so any new snow just keeps creeping in untill it is a fairly narrow drive, which is what I have now.

This is what I have gotten myself into. During the first 8" or so, I pushed the snow about 2' past the driveway, but since I HATE seeing half my gravel in the yard each spring, I stopped there. The last couple rounds has made it so I just can't push the huge piles any further with the tractor. If we get the upper limit of what they are calling for today, I don't have anywhere left to push the snow to, besides loading up a trailer full at a time by hand and dumping it on the road (which I don't want to do).

I had a chance to buy dad's old 79 plow truck this Fall for $1200 and a chance a few years back at a Ford tractor with loader and blade for $1500. I won't miss the next chance. :(

This is what I have gotten myself into. During the first 8" or so, I pushed the snow about 2' past the driveway, but since I HATE seeing half my gravel in the yard each spring, I stopped there. The last couple rounds has made it so I just can't push the huge piles any further with the tractor. If we get the upper limit of what they are calling for today, I don't have anywhere left to push the snow to, besides loading up a trailer full at a time by hand and dumping it on the road (which I don't want to do).

I had a chance to buy dad's old 79 plow truck this Fall for $1200 and a chance a few years back at a Ford tractor with loader and blade for $1500. I won't miss the next chance. :(

We used to plow ours with a ford 8n but they are about useless without either wheel weights or chains.

Vinny, shoot me your address. I am not to far from pataskala and once I get all my account done, I can come by and clean it for you. Has it been plowed at all since the last storm?

Sam, got your PM and that is a badass offer that I may take you up on. I actually spent a couple hours out there today and widened it up pretty well. We'll say how we're looking after I go plow the first 4" of this storm (heading out now).

It's been plowed with a truck once during all of these storms (and the truck's 4L80E died in my driveway), and by me with the tractor in between.

Vince is a pussy. Use a freakin' shovel :).

I bet One MILLion dollars Me > You at shoveling. ;)

I do shovel for about an hour each time doing all the sidewalks, in front of all the garage doors, the deck, porch, a dog-shitting area, etc.

Plus, it really is fun to plow with the tractor.

I was going to be a smart-ass and post a few links to you and others, but you beat me to it with a stand-up offer. :cool:

Now that's CR Rep in the making. :thumbup:

Vinny, shoot me your address. I am not to far from pataskala and once I get all my account done, I can come by and clean it for you. Has it been plowed at all since the last storm?