Your First Bike?

Main3s

Good luck in the 800-1000 range- I have been looking in that range for years casually and it seems like 2-2500 is the bottom for a decent non-antique ride. SV650 looks like a lot of value to me but I know nothing about bikes. I think what people are saying is true though- as long as you save up the coin for a decent non-salvage bike, and don't wreck it you will likely ride it for free less gas and maintenance.

I started with a 1975 Honda CB360 that was given to me. I sold it 3 times and each time it was given back to me after the rider learned to ride on it. I made about a grand off that bike when I finally sold it for the last time. In the years I had it, it was dropped 4 times, wrecked into a curb twice, and fell off a trailer while moving.

Old bikes are great if you want to learn the maintenance side of things too because they often require constant attention.

I bought my wife an SV650s and she wound up not liking riding so I used it for track days and daily commute and sold it for about what I paid too. Older carbed SVs can be very prone to gumming up, I'd buy an EFI one if I were in the market today but that drives the price up a lot.

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2006%5C11%5C22%5Cbikepics-729925-800.jpg

Mine looked just like this. Wish I would have never sold it. Got it after it sitting for 12 years and had to bring it back to life. Every time I smell old nasty gas that's turned it reminds me of this bike. Nothing could have been better for a 16 year old kid though.

I remember when I started riding a 600 was not something you even considered for your first bike, but I think now-a-days guys let their ego get the best of them. That being said, I've seen people ride 1000s as their first bike and exercise self control and be ok, and I've seen people get on 250 Ninja's and beef it all the damn time.

Take the MSF course as a minimum, it's a good introduction to riding and life on the street.

My first bike was a moped :D loved the 1gallon tank and lasted forever. Im thinking about this bike but not sure how easy it is to get a title for it. http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1667515587.html

See if you can get the VIN from the guy, then take it down to the title office and ask. If nothing else they should be able to confirm if the bike is stolen or not.