LS1 Guys...What do you shift at/rev to?

Bam

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad power for a 98 auto car.

How many miles are on it? Do you know the FULL history of the car? Just because it was stock when you got doesn't mean anything, many people put them back to stock to sell them.

Change plugs (gap to .55), wires, tranny fluid and filter, basically give it a good tune up besides the PCM and it should be a good runner.

Stock rev limiter is 6200 so your 1-2 shifts are set to 6000 and 2-3 set to 5900 (stock). Don't go by what the tach says, they lag big time.

How many miles are on it? Do you know the FULL history of the car? Just because it was stock when you got doesn't mean anything, many people put them back to stock to sell them.

Change plugs (gap to .55), wires, tranny fluid and filter, basically give it a good tune up besides the PCM and it should be a good runner.

Stock rev limiter is 6200 so your 1-2 shifts are set to 6000 and 2-3 set to 5900 (stock). Don't go by what the tach says, they lag big time.

When I got my car it was "stock" and I took it to Brian for a Dyno Day. Turns out the car was very lean and Brian had me clean the MAF and to come back. Came back car was still lean, he pulled the tuned and it turned out someone had messed with it before I got it.

Moral of the story

-Dyno Brian is a great guy, won't screw you over, and is honest

-Dyno numbers don't tell the whole story

Car is a 99, not sure if that matters.

Car rolled 85k miles last week. I only know what the carfax tells me along with the dealer. According to the carfax a woman owned it from 2001/19k miles until last month when I bought it, it was traded in on a new buick. Otherwise no idea.

Brian did note that it didn't appear that anyone has messed with the car/tune before me bringing it to him, but again, anything is possible.

I didn't make this post to complain about anything, or state that I wasn't happy with my car or dyno brians service.

No, I made this point to ask about what other people shifted at and how high they made power, just to get an idea across the board.

I got all the stuff to do a tune up so I will be doing that tonight, but other than that I'm not sure what else to do.

I guess I should mention, since it is 4/10s of an inch taller than stock, is that i used 255/50/16 drag radials compared to stock 245/50/16 tires, not sure if that hurt me though.

Brian, thanks for everything, the car makes great power I think, just not sure why its low on mph, but you can't know everything and every car is different.

I'll see you later this week. :)

Guest Removed
Why would a tuner set a shift point at 5500 if it's still making power past there?? That just seems kinda retarded. Maybe it's an automatic thing..lol.

cause brian was being rushed, some ones girl wanted to get the hell out of there for what ever reason. so dyno brian did not get a chance to street drive and set shift points etc etc

Maybe it was over looked, I'm sure Brian will make it right for him.

yes he will.

brian will make his own post on this car... just give him time. like me at the moment, he is trying to eat.

If you're commanding the car to shift at 5800, then you're right it should be spot on actually shifting at 6k.

Not only does his curve concern me, the bigger concern is his 101mph traps on Friday. Something is definitely wrong.

Are you able to point me in a direction of what could be wrong, or is software needed to monitor everything?

I just picked up plugs/wires/pcv/fuel filter tonight, and will probably get a colder tstat later this week, what temp should i go with?

cause brian was being rushed, some ones girl wanted to get the hell out of there for what ever reason. so dyno brian did not get a chance to street drive and set shift points etc etc

Incorrect you dumb motherfucker. Yes, my girlfriend DID want to go home, it was midnight and cold, but we in no way rushed Brian, and WE DID street drive the car and set shift points, Brian even posted that on the previous page.

Don't open your mouth unless you know the facts.

Guest Removed
Incorrect you dumb motherfucker. Yes, my girlfriend DID want to go home, it was midnight and cold, but we in no way rushed Brian, and WE DID street drive the car and set shift points, Brian even posted that on the previous page.

Don't open your mouth unless you know the facts.

YOU CALLING DYNO BRIAN A LIAR? I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH HIM ON THIS VERY THREAD.

Guest Removed
Are you able to point me in a direction of what could be wrong, or is software needed to monitor everything?

I just picked up plugs/wires/pcv/fuel filter tonight, and will probably get a colder tstat later this week, what temp should i go with?

stock temp...these motors like the heat.... this isnt a carb'd car

(for those that dont like it, call randy and argue your point to him about it)

Keep the BS outta the thread.

Back on topic:

I run a 160* in both the Formulas, and have one for the truck I'm too lazy to install. With a stock cooling setup, the car will not budge past the 1/4 mark on '98s, but still applies to 99+ since they have a dummy temperature gauge that reads in the middle almost always.

Matt, tune-up first before anything else. Then I'd run it at the track again to see if your traps improve, 101mph is way low for your mods/power. The DRs don't really hurt you, and 255s are fine.

Keep the BS outta the thread.

Back on topic:

I run a 160* in both the Formulas, and have one for the truck I'm too lazy to install. With a stock cooling setup, the car will not budge past the 1/4 mark on '98s, but still applies to 99+ since they have a dummy temperature gauge that reads in the middle almost always.

Matt, tune-up first before anything else. Then I'd run it at the track again to see if your traps improve, 101mph is way low for your mods/power. The DRs don't really hurt you, and 255s are fine.

Ya, I run a 160 and it stays in the middle no matter what lol.

Why is this thread 5 pages? The answer of 6000 was posted like 20 times. I used my programmer to set mine at 6100 back in the day. Tranny started slipping later on and I bent a push rod, but that a whole different story.

The end result is these cars are wierd and will make you repeatedly pissed off before they make you smile.

Guest Removed
If you really did just get off the phone with him, I doubt he'd want you potentially hurting his business...Just sayin. That's his client you're talking to.

how am i hurting his business posting facts? his client. correct. I'm not one to hide what is told to me by this person or that person. I mean he called me, upset over this thread (to explain the ordeal, why, cuase i understnad more then anyone here, hell if i know). not the other way around. If i wanted to hurt brian's business (which i dont, i have respect for the man) i very well could. but being the professional I am, i keep alot under my dirty ball cap. I say what the fuck i want (thats how i have gained brians respect). And i have clearly stated what was just expressed to me on the phone. Brian dont deal well with alot of the internet BS. And he is preparing his statement for this thread. we spoke about this car for a good 20 minutes or so.

160, it has been proven time and time again the lsx motors pick up power then they run cooler.

how am i hurting his business posting facts? his client. correct. I'm not one to hide what is told to me by this person or that person. I mean he called me, upset over this thread (to explain the ordeal, why, cuase i understnad more then anyone here, hell if i know). not the other way around. If i wanted to hurt brian's business (which i dont, i have respect for the man) i very well could. but being the professional I am, i keep alot under my dirty ball cap. I say what the fuck i want (thats how i have gained brians respect). And i have clearly stated what was just expressed to me on the phone. Brian dont deal well with alot of the internet BS. And he is preparing his statement for this thread. we spoke about this car for a good 20 minutes or so.

I'm simply saying as an outside viewer, I wouldn't say anything that the business owner and I discuss about a client, to the client...I'd let the business owner speak for himself. Otherwise you get into the issue of "man my tuner is talking shit about me to other people, fuck I guess I'll take my business elsewhere". Not saying that's the case here, just stating sometimes you have to think about the client's feelings and trust. B/c in the end, they're the ones who decide whether or not to go to your place of business.