Motorcycle Patrol Question

Crossle

Just curious, with as much emphasis as we put on safety now a days when riding motorcycles and what not. Is there a particular reason why police officers on motorcycles wear T-shirts and what I would consider a bicycle helmet?

I mean they technically do set an example, and I'm not really looking to get into a whole "it should be illegal to ride like...yadda yadda" Just wondering what the story/tradition is behind what they wear on motorcycles. I mean if it were my job, I would not want to wear that....especially considering how much riding they do.

Discuss?

Just curious, with as much emphasis as we put on safety now a days when riding motorcycles and what not. Is there a particular reason why police officers on motorcycles wear T-shirts and what I would consider a bicycle helmet?

I mean they technically do set an example, and I'm not really looking to get into a whole "it should be illegal to ride like...yadda yadda" Just wondering what the story/tradition is behind what they wear on motorcycles. I mean if it were my job, I would not want to wear that....especially considering how much riding they do.

Discuss?

:confused:

Have not seen them wear that type of outfit. This was during a bit cooler weather, but overall, I see them wear proper boots, helmet, etc.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/127567464/large.jpg

Guest tbutera2112
i see them in t shirts usually too...probably has to do with being able to move freely...if i was to get into a hand to hand situation or had to pursue a suspect, or anything of the sort, i would not want to be wearing my leather jacket...they take a risk on the roads not wearing the proper stuff, but they take a risk during stops if they are fully geared

The first thing I thought when I seen the obetz pic is they are trying hard to appeal to younger riders. Perhaps thats the decision behind the change of attire as well.

they probably just impounded that thing from someone trying to go a kajillion miles an hour, then turned it into a cop car instead of buying a new bike.

edit: also, they wear tees and CHiPs helmets cuz they're FABULOUSSSS

Obetz has a special jacket made for police and sportbike riding. As far as the rest goes.. the only thing I can really say is trying to wear an undershirt, vest, another shirt AND a jacket, along with a belt full of gear.. in any heat.. would probably make you pass out honestly.

I see the point of "setting and example" but I guess it only goes so far??

i see them in t shirts usually too...probably has to do with being able to move freely...if i was to get into a hand to hand situation or had to pursue a suspect, or anything of the sort, i would not want to be wearing my leather jacket...they take a risk on the roads not wearing the proper stuff, but they take a risk during stops if they are fully geared

Obetz has a special jacket made for police and sportbike riding. As far as the rest goes.. the only thing I can really say is trying to wear an undershirt, vest, another shirt AND a jacket, along with a belt full of gear.. in any heat.. would probably make you pass out honestly.

I see the point of "setting and example" but I guess it only goes so far??

I can tell you that in my mesh jacket with CE approved shoulder and elbow pads (had a back pad, but not CE approved), I'm only physically restricted by my boots. I would consider the jacket, gloves with carbon fiber knuckles, and full face helmet an advantage in a fight.

On a completely unrelated note....Dragknee, I've got some questions about garnishing wages related to a small claims court case for a guy I work with. Can I PM you about this?

The ones I have seen lately have been wearing just the uniform T-shirts. Wonder if it is their choice....

Weather last week and the week before was brutal. 95-105 with heat index and full gear would cause me to vomit, dehydrate and slide down the highway.

Obetz bike police.....way to ride if that was your job :bangbang: Would be cool as fuck.