How do you clean / polish a Windshield?

KillJoy

Ok.. I have washed the outside of my Windshield 3 times in a row. Once with Dawn, and twice with car soap. There are still things on it. They are little things that you can see from the inside when a light is coming through. I can feel the things on the outside of the windshield, so, I know they are not inside...

Should I clay bar the Windshield? Is there a special polish to use?

:confused:

KillJoy

Distilled white vinegar.

Isoproply Alcohol

clay bar

razor blade (carefully though not recklessly)

#0000 (4 zero's not the standard stuff) steel wool.

Any of the above individually or combination of the above if necessary should work.

There's also glass specific polish on the market to be used with a polisher. I've never had great results with it though, just as good just using an agressive compound designed for paint. Mainly this is for hard water spots though more than anything.

Distilled white vinegar.

Isoproply Alcohol

clay bar

razor blade (carefully though not recklessly)

#0000 (4 zero's not the standard stuff) steel wool.

Any of the above individually or combination of the above if necessary should work.

There's also glass specific polish on the market to be used with a polisher. I've never had great results with it though, just as good just using an agressive compound designed for paint. Mainly this is for hard water spots though more than anything.

Quick question. I have both the vinegar and the alcohol. Oh, and a blade. I need to clean my old ass supra windshield and the new windshield on the rav. After the original was replaced in the rav, it seems the new one has a film or something on it that makes it streak like hell in rain, etc. I know the wiper blades need a cleaning, too, but this is definitely the windshield. Any one of those I should use first or just both in any order? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my winshield in the supra seems like it has tons of little pockmarks, especially noticable in the sun after cleaning. Any tips? Thanks.

Sorry to thread jack, but I thought it was still relevant to the thread.

I have always used soap and water with a green scotch pad. Has never hurt the windows and cleans the window up nice.

i was actually coming in to post NOT to do this..

when i was delivering pizzas, i had shit all over my windshield one day...in between runs, i went in, got some cleaner and a green dish scratch pad and went at it. when i got into my car and was driving, the sun was reflecting off all the light scratches that were on it.

i would have rather had the bugs. it was bad.

Denatured alcohol will get ANY foreign substance off of glass, and leaves no residue of its own. I work for a cabinet glass place, it's what we use to clean glass layers before lamination. It'll clean out most pores and holes too, but they'll fill back in within a few hours.

Quick question. I have both the vinegar and the alcohol. Oh, and a blade. I need to clean my old ass supra windshield and the new windshield on the rav. After the original was replaced in the rav, it seems the new one has a film or something on it that makes it streak like hell in rain, etc. I know the wiper blades need a cleaning, too, but this is definitely the windshield. Any one of those I should use first or just both in any order? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also, my winshield in the supra seems like it has tons of little pockmarks, especially noticable in the sun after cleaning. Any tips? Thanks.

Sorry to thread jack, but I thought it was still relevant to the thread.

I actually like The Vinegar better. Use it just as you would any other cleaning agent, but be careful not to spash it all around on the trim or the paint.

But really when windows are horrible it's just try one or the other and see what works. If one doesn't try the other. Razor blade really should only be spot used for getting stuff off of the glass like paint, sap or what not.

I actually like The Vinegar better. Use it just as you would any other cleaning agent, but be careful not to spash it all around on the trim or the paint.

But really when windows are horrible it's just try one or the other and see what works. If one doesn't try the other. Razor blade really should only be spot used for getting stuff off of the glass like paint, sap or what not.

:thumbup: