Tow a trailer??? PUCO may want you!!!

btabacchi

Just a heads up to those that tow a trailer. Beginning Jan. 1, 2011 PUCO has new "safety" rules that effect vehicles/trailers weighing between 10,001 and 26,000 pounds. My understanding is that even private vehicles that display sponsor logos may come under the new rules.

http://www.puco.ohio.gov/emplibrary/files/media/Publications/Fact_Sheets/new%20safety%20rules%20for%20private%20intrastate%20vehicles.pdf

I read it and what I get out of it is non commercial vehicles can ignore it. Things will be getting a little more annoying for light commercial vehicles though which would even include small owner/operator landscaping businesses.

I would say that if you have sponser logos on your tow vehicle you probably should remove them to avoid the hassle of being pulled over and have to explain that your non comm.

I read it and what I get out of it is non commercial vehicles can ignore it. Things will be getting a little more annoying for light commercial vehicles though which would even include small owner/operator landscaping businesses.

I would say that if you have sponser logos on your tow vehicle you probably should remove them to avoid the hassle of being pulled over and have to explain that your non comm.

I think you are right. The Dispatch had an article today where a Buck and Sons landscaping guy was pulled over and given a warning. Could be all kinds of scenarios though - how about these guys that pull a tournament fishing boat that has the sponsor logos all over it?

I also wonder about guys that use their commercial trucks to pull a private race trailer on the weekend?

Just got off the phone with Carl at PUCO. He works in the enforcement office. This only applies to trailers registered as commercial. Non-Comm trailers are not affected by this. So if you have a 12k lbs trailer with sponsor logos or whatever all over it, as long as it isn't registered as commercial you're fine.

I dunno but I saw a boxtruck pulled over on 161 by the motor carrier patrol today. For some reason they sit there around New Albany pretty much every morning.

Now that I think of it the motor carriers had a landscape truck stopped on I-71 by exit 136 today. I guess they are passing out the warnings. I think its a good thing though as I've seen so many ladders, buckets, bags of concrete laying on I-270 due to poor loading that someone should be keeping a better watch.

the bad news is "install tin foil hat" they could now use "stickers" as an excuse to pull over just about any one with a size able load. Even my Tacoma + trailer + mud truck is about 11,000. At least I don't have stickers, but its an example of what could get pulled over.

The Public Utilities Commission (PUCO) has revised its rules relative to motor carrier transportation safety. The new rules apply to businesses that use vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 10,001 to 26,000 pounds to transport property or passengers on a not‐for‐hire basis within Ohio. Previously, vehicles of this size were not covered by safety rules. Individuals transporting personal items that are not in furtherance of a commercial enterprise will not be subject to the new rules.

Seems like this includes just about anything that weighs more than 10K. Truck or truck/trailer combined. It's that last line that I think could be open for interpretation by the truckin' police.

The part that gets me is the "businesses" and "not for hire" wording in the same paragraph. It kinda opens that up to nearly everything.

Then at the end says "individuals transporting personal items that are not in furtherance of a commercial enterprise will not be subject to the new rules." I guess "not for hire" must mean use other than say hauling/towing/recovery type rolls.

Just got off the phone with Carl at PUCO. He works in the enforcement office. This only applies to trailers registered as commercial. Non-Comm trailers are not affected by this. So if you have a 12k lbs trailer with sponsor logos or whatever all over it, as long as it isn't registered as commercial you're fine.

But any trailer with a GWVR (or whatever it is...) over 10k is required to have commercial tags. I had my enclosed race trailer with a GWVR of 12k and was forced to purchase commercial tags for it - even towing it with a non-comm. truck. (Since it was just for my hobby of racing) No option - forced to pay for the commercial tags.

But any trailer with a GWVR (or whatever it is...) over 10k is required to have commercial tags. I had my enclosed race trailer with a GWVR of 12k and was forced to purchase commercial tags for it - even towing it with a non-comm. truck. (Since it was just for my hobby of racing) No option - forced to pay for the commercial tags.

That's not what I was told on the phone today, and I've never heard that one before.

I do know that trucks above 1 ton are required to pay for registration by weight. Not sure if thats for a commercial tag or not though since I've never actually done it. Just research from where I'm looking at the costs of owning a military truck.

I just bought a 2010 24' enclosed car trailer to pull my car to the track. When I regisitered it they told me all trailers over 3000lbs had to have commercial plates!

My 30' came in at just under 4000lbs. empty. The nice ladies at the BMV wrote the registration for 4000lbs. to allow me to get commercial tags which were less expensive than if it had been registered as non commercial 3960lbs. Maybe not such a good idea now.

Is that 3000 empty? Because my car hauler is 2100 empty 7500 gvwr and its non comm.

Yes, the title or whatever the dealer gives you to show proof of owner ship says that it weighs 3396 emty. I told her I needed non-comm because I was just using it for personnal use. That is when she informed me that anything over 3000lbs had to have commercial plates.

Also, commercial plates don't renew on your birthday. They will renew depending on what your last 2 numbers in your social security number. My birthday is Sept 17th and my trailer plates renew on Dec 31st because the last 2 number on my SS are 92. I can't renew them on my birthday early because you can only renew them 90 days in advance. Also they cost over a hundred to renew.

As a bit of anecdotal evidence, the last place I worked had a race team. When pulling the car cross-country, the 4Runner+trailer+race car had logos all over it. The team was pulled over as a commercial vehicle and hassled for not having USDOT medical cards and CDLs because the vehicles were being used for advertising. Ohio's laws might not be the only ones you need to be concerned with.