401k - what to do

evan9381

I guess my old job had a 401k/retirement plan set up for me...I never even knew about it until about ~1 year ago when I got a statement saying there was like $800 in it...lost my job in october, and just got another statement showing there's about $935... I know its not much, but I have no clue what I need to do with this, how much time I have to do something, or if I need to do anything at all. I don't really need the cash, so I dont see any point of cashing it out. I'm not opposed to investing it in something, and if I lost it all, I wouldnt really be too sad because a) its not a lot and b) none of it is money I've put in, just $ my employer did.

I would prefer to do something with it to where I can access it later if I wanted to...would my only option to do this be something like cashing it out and then research/buy some stocks on my own? I've got an account with sharebuilder that I could do this with

any help is appreciated...I dont have a clue about this stuff

and if i still dont have a "current employer"? lol. will that just sit there until i do something with it, or if it sits too long will something happen to it?

There are a bunch of investment companies that will gladly take your money. Fidelity? What is that.. follow the green arrow or some shit? Just look for any or the larger investment companies out there and they will help you out.