Buying a house in central ohio

wagner

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Licking Heights is good if you want to come out east, Reynoldsburg, Groveport, and Whitehall are not places I'd want my kid to go.

Take it from someone who has been in over his head, leave yourself room financially, homes are full of unforseen expenses. Better to be modest about what you buy, then be selling the house you wanted so bad because the shit got deep.

Licking Heights is good if you want to come out east, Reynoldsburg, Groveport, and Whitehall are not places I'd want my kid to go.

Take it from someone who has been in over his head, leave yourself room financially, homes are full of unforseen expenses. Better to be modest about what you buy, then be selling the house you wanted so bad because the shit got deep.

Oh yeah we are buying well under what our "max" is.

Is groveport really that bad? There are some STEALS on houses out there. Same thing with blacklick.

Is groveport really that bad? There are some STEALS on houses out there. Same thing with blacklick.

Well those steals on houses have got to be a clue.

Blacklick isn't too bad if you avoid one specific area off of Waggoner Rd, there is section 8 there and kills that little neighborhood.

How much are you willing to spend? That may help narrow it down some more. Check out Canal Winchester as well. Only downside to CW that I know of is that taxes keep going up. But that's for the schools, so not necessarily a bad thing.

There are a lot of good buys in the grove city/southwestern city school area. I have heard both ways if those are worth it.

One of my friends just bought a pretty nice house on Alkire Rd for 89k. New kitchen, floors, appliances, etc. I guess the house had been foreclosed, and then vandalized. Someone bought the house, repaired and remodeled parts of it, and my friend bought it. Apparently it was like a 140k house when the previous (foreclosed) owners bought it.

I too have heard there are several good deals in that area, and most parts of Grove City aren't bad IMO.

What are you looking to spend, and where do YOU WANT to live?

Location, location, location...where are you looking to work, play, etc...how much land/storage do you need...

IMO I would buy somewhere within 270. I am biased towards UA, but there are a lot of great neighborhoods around Sawmill/Bethel/Henderson that have great houses...not far from nice bars, highways, good schools, shopping...

We want to keep it at 85k or cheaper just to be safe. When it comes to where the house is, nothing in the hood or a sketchy area.

Some of the stuff in the southwestern schools area is looking good for what you get.

Kids in the future or not?

If no kids are planned, I don't think the schools should really matter.

No kids, but we are looking at resale value for people who have poop machines.

My only requirements are 1. garage 2. basement 3. not in ghetto. I don't care the style, stories, or if it needs work. I have no problem making the place my own with some hard work.

My only requirements are 1. garage 2. basement 3. not in ghetto. I don't care the style, stories, or if it needs work. I have no problem making the place my own with some hard work.

Make sure you check to see if there is a HOA.

;)

KillJoy

Maybe there is something I'm missing, but since the resale value is higher for you, then it's also higher for the person who is selling it to you, so the buying price is higher for you, so you can sell it at a higher price later. If you bought somewhere less attractive, then the buying price and selling price would be less. But in the mean time your house payments were lower on the less expensive house. It's not like the house in the nicer area is necessarily going to appreciate faster.

This timing might make a difference in that equation since everything is down right now, and if everything goes back up you will probably gain more in a nicer area/school district. I think that 'if everything goes back up' (faster than inflation) is a huge if.

I wouldn't worry about schools if kids aren't a concern. As stated above you'll pay more uP front, more annually in taxes, etc and it just won't matter.

Location is key, buy in an established area with homeowner pride and decades of consistent increases in value. I say decades because the shit in the past 5 years don't matter because prices are still higher in the better areas than they were 10, 20, etc years ago.

I would worry about schools if you plan on selling the house in the future.When the Wife and I were buying we told our Real Estate Agent we wouldn't even look at a house in the Columbus Public School District.I paid almost $4000 in property taxes last year in Hilliard School District and we have another levy coming up.I could not be more pleased with the District and will vote Yes.If you don't have kids and don't plan on having kids schools shouldn't be a priority but should be on the list.I went through South Western School District and believe you can get a good education there.

Our house has a basement, is 1500sq ft, has 2 car garage, no basement, and its not in the ghetto. We had to do your normal amount of work, painting, spackling and such but nothing major. We paid wayyyyy under $85K.

Powell or Dublin. Everything else is ghetto

You have no say in anything until you buy your own shit, Daddys Boy ;)