If you had $3k

'97-'03 Grand Prix GTP.

Back in 2007 I bought a '97, 100% stock, 119k miles, GREAT condition, for 3k. Best daily I've ever had. Somewhat quick and easy to mod if you're into that, reliable 3800, good looking car, and FWD automatic so any moron can drive it in the snow :)

Edit: just saw that you're talking about a girl, but it still applies. If she doesn't care about going fast, a regular GT would do fine, they are nearly identical in every aspect other than the Eaton and whatnot

'97-'03 Grand Prix GTP.

Back in 2007 I bought a '97, 100% stock, 119k miles, GREAT condition, for 3k. Best daily I've ever had. Somewhat quick and easy to mod if you're into that, reliable 3800, good looking car, and FWD automatic so any moron can drive it in the snow :)

+1 things are great DDs. Leather interior, heads up displays, not too bad on gas, large trunk space and roomy back seats too

Jeep Cherokee

agreed. can be had for Cheap will last forever and is easy on the wallet when it comes to maintenance and repairs. Only downside is it like to drink the gas, 20 gallon tank will get you around 300 miles from full to bone dry.

Civic. Simple, easy to work on, cheap parts, reliable, great mileage.

$3K is a little low for a Subaru that won't need a head gasket in the near future. But if that's not a big issue, then a Subaru is a great choice too. Reliable, safe, great year-round, easy to work on (except for head gaskets. ;) )

Early to mid '00s Ford Taurus is a good option as well...

I would default of course to Civic and Accord, but the midsize GM/Ford offerings are suitable and cheaper alternatives. American cars have come a long way in the last 10 years.