?? For those that run winter tires.

Ramsey

What is your other set of tires that you run spring and summer on your daily?

Im looking for new tires for the impreza..

205/55/16 something quiet and solid rain performance and life.

Falken 452's on the Benz. Not a bad tire, I really don't have enough miles on them to tell you for certain though. I have no complaints right now

Sumitumo HTR Z III's on the Audi. I actually really enjoy this tire. Quiet, pretty decent stick, still good in the wet. I must have 13-15k miles on them easily and they've still got pleanty of life left in them.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's on the M3. Don't like them at all, soft side walls, tall tread, really squirmy and don't feel planted at all. Should have gotten PS2's.

If money is no object I'm not sure there's a better street tire out there than PS2's. For a fraction of the cost I've been very happy with the Sumitumo's on the Audi though.

• Upvote 1

Winters are Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds for the Leggy and Hankook I-pikes for the WRX. The I-pikes were chosen because I was running Hankook contingencies. The Dunlops are the ones I recommend.

For Summers, the STI has RE-01Rs (succeeded by the RE11s now). Those and the Dunlop Z1* specs are the ones I'd recommend for a high performance tire.

But for a summer daily, I'm really liking the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. They are very quiet for an upper end summer tire and reasonably priced. So they're my recommendation for a good DD summer tire.

I'm with AudiOn19s with Hankooks. I've run their rally tires, top-end summer tires, and winter tires. I haven't been happy with any of them.

winters are blizzak WS-60 in 215/45/17

summers for now are 225/45/18 Yokohama S drives. They are supposed to be a very nice tire but mine are cupped so its loud. I will be getting a set of dunlop star specs to replace them when the time comes.

Huge +1 for Wintersport 3D's.

Summer keeps changing, trying Nitto NT05's this year.

Used KDW2's for 2 seasons, great tire, long tread life, but as loud as driving on a tire made out of hooves.

If noise is a concern, check out the Conti ExtremeContact DWs. Even at temps below their preferred range, they are quiet enough that the wind noise on the highway is louder than the tire noise. And these are 245/40-18s on my Leggy. So these are not small tires. I bolted them up early because I wanted to check clearances and it's been nice enough lately that I havent' switched back to the winters. I'm very impressed with them so far.

I do need to get a hold of Biggu and see when I can come in and use his fender roller. But I keep procrastinating..

Huge +1 for Wintersport 3D's.

Summer keeps changing, trying Nitto NT05's this year.

Used KDW2's for 2 seasons, great tire, long tread life, but as loud as driving on a tire made out of hooves.

Hey i get great deals on nittos and will finally sell you a set of tires, call me if you didnt buy them already

What is your other set of tires that you run spring and summer on your daily?

Im looking for new tires for the impreza..

205/55/16 something quiet and solid rain performance and life.

holla... i can hook you up on the htrz3's for dirt cheap, i've got several sets on cars out there and people are happy as long as its not 400whp.. other thing I've done on those is run a 225-50-16, same rolling diam as your 205-55 but an inch wider and rim guard on most tires.

snow tires are totally unnecessary in ohio

Perhaps, but they do perform better.

Blizzak LM25's on the MS3 and she would plow through mounds of snow with no problem. Last winter was a blast.

The other times I have now switched off Summer only to Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. So far they are very nice. Handle great on dry and wet yet are all season and can do light snow well. Great bang for the buck.

holla... i can hook you up on the htrz3's for dirt cheap, i've got several sets on cars out there and people are happy as long as its not 400whp.. other thing I've done on those is run a 225-50-16, sam.e rolling diam as your 205-55 but an inch wider and rim guard on most tires.

Shoot me a price.....

I run Dunlop Winter Sport M3s. Love them to death. Great, quiet ride and they work well in the deep stuff.

I am running Falken ZE912s on my Enkeis. Garbage tires. I'm looking to get some Kumho XS's later this year. Although those Sumitomos look interesting. Derek, can you PM me a price for four in 215/45-17 and 225/45-17 (whichever is cheaper).

If you're looking for an all-around tire, the Continental DWS are excellent if you can find some.

If you're looking for an all-around tire, the Continental DWS are excellent if you can find some.

we use those as winter tires on the mazda and they were the rain tires for some wet track days :)

i think i may be inheriting them for my versa when i get new wheels

sumitomo htr+ all year round

snow tires are totally unnecessary in ohio

This. Unless we live in the snow belt (which we don't), it's pretty pointless to put on snow tires for two months a take them off.

This. Unless we live in the snow belt (which we don't), it's pretty pointless to put on snow tires for two months a take them off.

For the most part I agree with this, however large wheels with short tires do not fare well against the winter conditions of our roads here in the Midwest. It's a vicious cycle of crap weather followed by emerging holes all over the road until it gets nice enough to fix everything up again. I'd much rather switch out the nice wheels in the winter so they don't get messed up and if I'm already going to that effort why not run a dedicated winter tire anyhow since that's the only time those wheels will be on the car. (5 months for me)

Not completely necessary, but if you're running two sets of wheels in the first place why not. I highly doubt the 285/25/20's on the rear of my wife's benz would have been enough to save the wheels from destruction with some of the holes we've got in the roads right now.

Summer tires don't work as well below 45 degrees F. So for the colder months, winter tires are preferable. I would rather have a set of each and have grippy tires in the summer and capable tires in the winter, than compromise on a set of all-seasons which will be crap year-round.

I bolt the winters on in late November and go back to summers in late March or early April when the temperatures are dependably in the low 50s or higher. That's 4-5 months. It's also 4-5 months of the year that I'm not putting wear on the more expensive summer tires. I'm easy on tires to begin with, and this makes them last even longer.

Myth, Snow tires designed to be driven on COLD DRY roads too. They are given the misnomer of "Snow" tire and should be called "WINTER" tire.

Here is the description of my Blizzak LM-60s.

The Blizzak LM-60 is Bridgestone's Performance Winter / Snow tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, sporty coupes and luxurious performance sedans that are looking for winter driving traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads. The Blizzak LM-60 is designed to combine the basic tread design of the Blizzak WS60 with a high-silica tread compound to blend high-speed durability and dry-road cold weather handling with snow traction.

Since the current Multicell tread compounds used on Blizzak winter / snow tires are not designed to support H-speed ratings, the Blizzak LM-60 uses a high silica content winter / snow tread compound molded into a directional tread design that features independent tread blocks with 3-D zigzag sipes to disperse water away from the tire's contact patch, further enhancing grip. The combination provides hydroplaning resistance and greater driving and braking force on snow-covered roads.

Featuring Bridgestone's UNI-T Technology, the Blizzak LM-60's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound nylon to provide the desired high-speed durability and ride characteristics.

Blizzak LM-60 winter / snow tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.

Snow tires are a softer tire and when it gets warm they wear fast that is why you change them out, but when it is cold they are still soft and give good traction. Summer tires are harder and can take more heat, when they get cold they are super hard. I used to think the same thing until someone showed me the difference. I put them on in November and take them off in the beginning of April (6 Months). As log as the temps are below 50 most of the day. Yesterday was warm but only from about Noon to 5pm then it was back in the 40s.

Myth, Snow tires designed to be driven on COLD DRY roads too. They are given the misnomer of "Snow" tire and should be called "WINTER" tire. .

I completely agree. The difference in traction on cold dry salt ridden roads is noticable. The cars may be different but driving the fusion on Goodyear RSA's vs the MS3 on LM25's is scary different. The Mazda on winter tires is multiples safer in terms of stopping and gripping the road overall.

Summer tires don't work as well below 45 degrees F. So for the colder months, winter tires are preferable. I would rather have a set of each and have grippy tires in the summer and capable tires in the winter, than compromise on a set of all-seasons which will be crap year-round.

I bolt the winters on in late November and go back to summers in late March or early April when the temperatures are dependably in the low 50s or higher. That's 4-5 months. It's also 4-5 months of the year that I'm not putting wear on the more expensive summer tires. I'm easy on tires to begin with, and this makes them last even longer.

Myth, Snow tires designed to be driven on COLD DRY roads too. They are given the misnomer of "Snow" tire and should be called "WINTER" tire.

Here is the description of my Blizzak LM-60s.

Snow tires are a softer tire and when it gets warm they wear fast that is why you change them out, but when it is cold they are still soft and give good traction. Summer tires are harder and can take more heat, when they get cold they are super hard. I used to think the same thing until someone showed me the difference. I put them on in November and take them off in the beginning of April (6 Months). As log as the temps are below 50 most of the day. Yesterday was warm but only from about Noon to 5pm then it was back in the 40s.

Jinx