Help Me Decide: GT-R vs. Z06

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, I thought they actually did address the transmission issue in the more recent models (or am I thinking of just the 2012/or I am I just making that up in my head)?

The transmission issue has been solved for a while, just don't buy the first model year.

The Z06's can be bought in the $30k's depending on year and miles but you'd want one in the $40k's. The GT-R's are a bit more but worth it IMO. Go drive them both and decide for yourself. You are talking basic mods on both and they are in the 9's. Then again, Nissan offers a program to upgrade the GT-R to 2012 specs, so that's an option since you aren't buying new....

Either would be great but in TX you see Z06's everywhere so the GT-R is more rare but they are becoming more popular, not sure about OH...

i came in here to see what Cordell would suggest. i wasnt surprised at his response.

:rolleyes:

yeah well...........

we also have a new 2011 Callaway Grand Sport might be a little higher then your 80k limit, but it's a badass car. They take a Grand Sport, 6 speed with a dry sump LS3, Z51 suspension, put a TVS 2300 blower on it, nicer wheels, and sell you that with all the warranty from GM rated at 606hp. Of course if you want to go over budget the Callaway Z06 with the Carbon package that we have is a ZR1 killer. Having never driven a GT-R I'm obviously biased, but you owe it to yourself to come see all the Vettes on our lot.

I've had both, so depends what you want. I liked both cars for different reasons, but they are completely different. I took my stock 2007 Z06 11.7@125 bone stock first day I owned it. I took the 2010 GTR 11.7@117 shortly after I purchased it. Both can be modified to go mid-high 10's for less than 3k.

I liked the auto in the GTR, but it's not for everbody. It's very clunky and you have to understand that it is a stick shift that is controlled by the computer. That means the car downshifts every gear as your stoping. It's not too noticeable like the lamborghini's, but it's still there. The GTR is basically a tuner car. Drives like you would assumed a highly modified 370Z would drive. I've had a ton of modified cars in the past, so the car's behaviours weren't a problem for me, but it's certainly not for everybody. The only other bad thing is nobody knows what the car is. I mean nobody. Other big thing here is traction. No worries about ever racing when it's a little chilly outside(like MCIR grudge nights)

The Z06 is a corvette. If you've driven a C5 or C6 before, it's the same. No real difference except it's fast. Flat out flies from a 40mph roll. You should only have about 100 people ask you if it's a real Z06. lol If your planning on a bunch of mods, the Z06 is the best platform. No worries on replacing a $20,0000 transmission.

Since your considering both of those, may as well consdier a Viper. My 06 was my favorite car of all time. An absolute blast to drive. However gets so much attention it's a little annoying. Can forget about stoping by the grocery store and getting something real quick, as you'll probably come back outside to someone walking around it. Can't tell you how it performed stock, but can say with a Paxton, it ran consistant 11.2's@128.

If I was going to recommend a car, I'd say get the GT-R before the Corvette.

http://auto.driversdown.com/uploads/allimg/090616/0930226206-3.jpg

Cyber grey FTW.

shit, someone stole a picture of my car. the z-06 gets my vote, unless you were going to get the '12 GTR. hard to imagine chevy makes a car that right off the showroom floor can blow the tires off at 60mph, and hit 90mph in second gear, etc etc. and that's not even the top dog vette. you can easily hit 550rwhp with a cam, and 600rwhp with some head work.

For that price range, a head turning Exotic can be had.

:)

KillJoy

Yeah, not really into any of those either. Want newer, and aesthetically I like the Z06 and GT-R better than an older Ferrari. Not judging, just saying that's my preference.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt236/Scotty_Sapper/GTR-1.jpg

YESSSS

AMIRITE?

The Z06 is just... you.

Yeah, I feel like a Z06 definitely fits my personality, if that makes any sense.

Scratch that.. get a GTR. Its just different enough to turn heads while being fast.

Was signing on the dotted line for the Ford, and now you do this to me? DAMN YOU!!!11!!!

PS, my Cobra was a ton of fun - never had a single problem with that car and thoroughly abused it (read: sprayed the hell out of it) every weekend for an entire summer.

The transmission issue has been solved for a while, just don't buy the first model year.

The Z06's can be bought in the $30k's depending on year and miles but you'd want one in the $40k's. The GT-R's are a bit more but worth it IMO. Go drive them both and decide for yourself. You are talking basic mods on both and they are in the 9's. Then again, Nissan offers a program to upgrade the GT-R to 2012 specs, so that's an option since you aren't buying new....

Either would be great but in TX you see Z06's everywhere so the GT-R is more rare but they are becoming more popular, not sure about OH...

Can you tell me more about the program to upgrade the GT-R to the 2012 specs? That's definitely a perk.

Yeah, I think the same holds true up here, you definitely see more Z06's than GT-R's.

:rolleyes:

yeah well...........

we also have a new 2011 Callaway Grand Sport might be a little higher then your 80k limit, but it's a badass car. They take a Grand Sport, 6 speed with a dry sump LS3, Z51 suspension, put a TVS 2300 blower on it, nicer wheels, and sell you that with all the warranty from GM rated at 606hp. Of course if you want to go over budget the Callaway Z06 with the Carbon package that we have is a ZR1 killer. Having never driven a GT-R I'm obviously biased, but you owe it to yourself to come see all the Vettes on our lot.

Where do you work? Sorry if I missed you posting that somewhere.

I've had both, so depends what you want. I liked both cars for different reasons, but they are completely different. I took my stock 2007 Z06 11.7@125 bone stock first day I owned it. I took the 2010 GTR 11.7@117 shortly after I purchased it. Both can be modified to go mid-high 10's for less than 3k.

I liked the auto in the GTR, but it's not for everbody. It's very clunky and you have to understand that it is a stick shift that is controlled by the computer. That means the car downshifts every gear as your stoping. It's not too noticeable like the lamborghini's, but it's still there. The GTR is basically a tuner car. Drives like you would assumed a highly modified 370Z would drive. I've had a ton of modified cars in the past, so the car's behaviours weren't a problem for me, but it's certainly not for everybody. The only other bad thing is nobody knows what the car is. I mean nobody. Other big thing here is traction. No worries about ever racing when it's a little chilly outside(like MCIR grudge nights)

The Z06 is a corvette. If you've driven a C5 or C6 before, it's the same. No real difference except it's fast. Flat out flies from a 40mph roll. You should only have about 100 people ask you if it's a real Z06. lol If your planning on a bunch of mods, the Z06 is the best platform. No worries on replacing a $20,0000 transmission.

Since your considering both of those, may as well consdier a Viper. My 06 was my favorite car of all time. An absolute blast to drive. However gets so much attention it's a little annoying. Can forget about stoping by the grocery store and getting something real quick, as you'll probably come back outside to someone walking around it. Can't tell you how it performed stock, but can say with a Paxton, it ran consistant 11.2's@128.

If I was going to recommend a car, I'd say get the GT-R before the Corvette.

Jason, thanks for the input - much appreciated. Yeah, I don't think I'll be doing much modification to whatever car I buy. In fact, it's probably the exact opposite: I'm more inclined to do absolutely nothing at all to the car, leaving it completely stock, maybe even for the duration that I own the car. So, I want to buy a car that I'm going to be happy with being completely stock.

I had a '91 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX and I loved the AWD. I'm inclined to give the nod to the GT-R over the Z06 because of the AWD.

I'm obviously biased. But personally i'd worry about long term maintenance on the gtr. It is really cool but extremely complex. I have that complaint about most newer cars but that gtr is on a whole other level. The z is a little gadgety...like that whole window lowering thing when u open the door but mostly it is highly proven engineering.

Neither.

If I were in the market I would be buying a C6 Vette Grand Sport. You get the Z06's dry sump (with the manual), wheels/tires, anti-roll bars, and body. The suspension is different, but most have said it's the best ride and handling of any C6. It weighs more than an Z06 because it has a steel frame instead of aluminum, but you also get to keep the targa top.

OR

Go back to the Mustang and buy a new BOSS. I never liked Mustang's, but the new 5.0's won me over, and the BOSS is just BAD.

I'm obviously biased. But personally i'd worry about long term maintenance on the gtr. It is really cool but extremely complex. I have that complaint about most newer cars but that gtr is on a whole other level. The z is a little gadgety...like that whole window lowering thing when u open the door but mostly it is highly proven engineering.

I'm only planning on having this car five to seven years, tops. Provided I did nothing to the GT-R in terms of modifications, do you think I'd still need to worry about maintenance? Said somewhat differently, has the GT-R acquired a reputation for being a pain in the ass in terms of upkeep?

Neither.

If I were in the market I would be buying a C6 Vette Grand Sport. You get the Z06's dry sump (with the manual), wheels/tires, anti-roll bars, and body. The suspension is different, but most have said it's the best ride and handling of any C6. It weighs more than an Z06 because it has a steel frame instead of aluminum, but you also get to keep the targa top.

OR

Go back to the Mustang and buy a new BOSS. I never liked Mustang's, but the new 5.0's won me over, and the BOSS is just BAD.

Yeah, but I'm not a fan of the gill-like things on the sides of the Grand Sport's. And aesthetically the Mustang's just don't do it for me. Plus, aren't they really heavy?

Is the GT-R more comfortable? I've heard the ride leaves something to be desired in terms of ride comfort (e.g., it feels every little bump).

I thought the ride quality of my C5 Z06 was wonderful - I could daily drive that without any problem at all. I can't speak to the ride quality of the C6 Z06 though. Maybe someone who has driven both a C5 and C6 Z06 can chime in here.

Ive driven both C5 Z06 and C6 Z06, both are amazing cars. The C6 Z06 feels so much tighter and more solid than the C5 Z06.

My opinion, C6 ZR1....... /thread.

Where do you work? Sorry if I missed you posting that somewhere.

Dave Gill Chevrolet, Rod Stalter is the guy to talk to, tell him Scott sent you. I just work on them.

http://images.cobaltgroup.com/1/3/9/2551804931.jpg

pics don't do this car justice

Yeah, but I'm not a fan of the gill-like things on the sides of the Grand Sport's. And aesthetically the Mustang's just don't do it for me. Plus, aren't they really heavy?

The gills are a love-it-or-hate-it.

Mustang BOSS is ~3600 lbs

Camaro ZL1 out of the question? (I guess that may end up heavier than the BOSS)

GTR if you're looking for something different and very unique. AWD is nice and it has some cool features, but I stand by the fact that the newer C6 Z06's are pure sex.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything you've said...which pretty much sums up why this is a difficult decision, LOL.