What do you know about 3800 supercharged cars

OGRE

Looking at giving GM a second chance, looking at a 2002 Buick regal GS. but i may be steered to other 3800 SC powered cars if this deal does not go through.

any input is welcome from you guys as far as . . .

Dependability: i know the engine is a brute, but what about the trannys

Modding: yup how much power will the stock bottom end hold till 200k

Issues: what do i need to look for.

Calling the CR nation give me a hand :)

Don't beat the shit out of it every day and the trans will last a lifetime... regardless of what people say. It's how you drive it that makes it what it is.

Other than the lower intake gaskets, (it will puddle in the intake valley and it's very noticeable), there's not much else to look for. Most of the Regal sellers are older folks who rarely drive it and will probably have low miles on it.

The first question you should ask the seller is "what octane gas do you put in it?". Most people don't realize that it requires Premium (even though it says it on the gas door).

Edit - If you hear a knocking noise coming from the supercharger, it's probably the s/c coupler.. which is about $40 to replace and not that much time to fix.

All of the above. I had a 97 and 99 GTP with the L67. Both modded. My 99 ran perfect up through 100k when my father who bought it from me sold it. Never beat on it, but it was a low 13 second car and never de-tuned. As far as I know it's up in the Cleveland area running around still.

the motors are monsters. I beat the piss out of my L36 on a daily basis and it makes about as much power as a lightly modded L67.

Second this. 169,000 miles and mine dyno'd 242whp and 337wtq, with light mods. just be careful with the trans.

Trans won't take much abuse, typical GM shit like wheel bearings, ABS wires break on some of those, intermediate steering shafts can rattle, I'm sure there are a few other stupid things I'm not thinking of, but overall they're nice cars when taken care of. I had a Park Avenue Ultra a few years back and loved it until some dumbass pulled out in front of me. The N/A 3800 Impala we have had since about 30k and it has about 160k on it now, has been a good car, had the trans rebuilt at 150k, other then that it hasn't been an expensive car to maintain.

We're keeping my girlfriend's 05 GTP Comp G. For a daily driver, I love the car. Other than a thermostat, tune up and alignment, that's all we've done so far. She just had a fender bender unfortunately, but shit happens. Milage is great for as big of a car as it is, I'd say 18 city and about 27ish highway. I can only imagine it'll increase with the exhaust and CAI I'll put on it shortly. It's almost at 90K so in the next few months we plan to toss some $$$ into it so it'll be road worthy for the next 90K.

They are quick fun little cars. The trans is definitely the weak link a little modding and kiss the trans goodbye. Also not that great on gas. My 99 gtp with a pulley u bend delete and lower t stat only got 19 on the highway and you have to run premium. Overall not bad d/d's

I bought my 04 SS in 2006 with 20k. It's about to roll 90k and with the exception of an O2 sensor about a year ago (CEL came on 2 days after I paid it off), I've done nothing to it other than regular maintenance. I did the tranny fluid and filter at 50k, and flushed the coolant last year. Needless to say, I'm definitely happy with the car.

They are quick fun little cars. The trans is definitely the weak link a little modding and kiss the trans goodbye. Also not that great on gas. My 99 gtp with a pulley u bend delete and lower t stat only got 19 on the highway and you have to run premium. Overall not bad d/d's
is that after mods? I've gotten well into the 20's regular driving Edited by 351mach1

what if they are only running 87 octane in it but driving like well, grandparents? the particular regal i'm looking at has 90k miles, and is super clean, but someone else has already spoken for it, so the owner will call me at 11 today if he has not sold it.

what are the best years for these cars/motors?

Kinda dissapointed the trannys are so bad, i may just stick with a crown vic, i know thier drivelines are as reliable as they come.

I ahd 150k on my trans and I beat the shit out of that car on a daily basis. Never had a single problem with it. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the maf. No other things were a problem for mine. So it really is a hit or miss and how well the tranny was taken care of before. Mine saw 125+ at leaqst once a week for over a year and like said never had a single problem. With headers d/p and intake I still ran if I was trying 28+ mpg on the highway. And I felt I could drive my 98 gtp across country and be comfortable. I would love to own another one someday

You're the only person I've ever heard say that. Everyone on 3800pro seemed to do a hell of a lot better than 19mpg. My 3800 fiero swap did 30mpg, did like 33 on a couple of occaisions, but thats a lighter car.

Overall good cars, there is a recall for the valve cover gaskets and plug wire loom, they had a minor fire issue ;)

I drive a customers Impala SS with, as I last drove it, 280k on it. He says original motor, original transmission, runs and drives excellent. IIRC he said was getting 25mpg+ out of it.