What is a good price for lawn spraying?

Nitrousbird

I've never hired a pro for spraying for weeds or any lawn care for that matter. But my yard is starting to look like the shitty yard of the neighborhood and I want to care for that.

It's about 2 acres of yard, with only a couple of small trees other than the trees that line the edge of the property. Had a telemarketer from some place call this evening, quoting $110 per application for the full yard, and said they typicallly do 6 applications a year.

Is that a normal price / number of applications? I've never done any research into lawn spraying, and don't want to shell out a bunch of unnecessary money.

I've never hired a pro for spraying for weeds or any lawn care for that matter. But my yard is starting to look like the shitty yard of the neighborhood and I want to care for that.

It's about 2 acres of yard, with only a couple of small trees other than the trees that line the edge of the property. Had a telemarketer from some place call this evening, quoting $110 per application for the full yard, and said they typicallly do 6 applications a year.

Is that a normal price / number of applications? I've never done any research into lawn spraying, and don't want to shell out a bunch of unnecessary money.

First off how can they evaluate your yards condition and tell you what it needs with out looking at it ? 110 for 2 acres of grass is a good price. Put them on the spot and ask them exactly what they will be doing on each application. You do not need 6 apps. 4-5 apps is sufficient if they are puttting down the right stuff at the correct time. Lawn companies nowadays are over selling and pushing customers on 6-7 apps just to make the $$$ . I see it everyday and it gets worse every year. Pm me what they say and I will give you my opinion. 2 acres is more then I would want to do since I do not have a stand on power spreader.

Scott's has the worst reviews online, we started using a smaller place called onecall I think it is. $45 for small lot 7 aplications.

Wow 7 apps man I remember when I first started out we had a 4 app program that did a good job. Then it went to 5. The 5th was known as late fall to keep your yard going thru the winter. Then came 6, then 7. I bet some even push 8.

Wow 7 apps man I remember when I first started out we had a 4 app program that did a good job. Then it went to 5. The 5th was known as late fall to keep your yard going thru the winter. Then came 6, then 7. I bet some even push 8.

8 Steps? WTF, do they spray shit on the snow that lays on the grass in January?

8 Steps? WTF, do they spray shit on the snow that lays on the grass in January?

They just push the apps or their visits closer togather. They are a greedy bunch just like some car repairs shops that want to sell you more then you need. Some ,well most will push lawn aeration/core plugging. Most yards do not need this. 5 apps max is all you need if you do it right.

Not all apps are weed/feed apps with most companies. Some will do the grub, aeration or other things on separate trips.

Also 6 fertilizer apps is not too many in a year if your using the right product. Now if it is a high nitrogen based product then yes that is too many and will burn up the lawn come drought. Or worst case scenario allow the turf to lose immunity and get disease. The right fertilizer along with some treatments and nutrients for the soils will give the best results. Im proud to say that my company DOES use the absolute best products in this region hands down.

Oh and we just switched to Imprelis weed control. The shit is awesome...but better be for $1400 for 2 1/2 gallons lol.

I pay $30 per application like 4 times a year. I just have them do weed control. That's it. no filler shit, no crab grass, no grub control. My lawn looks better than my neighbors and Tru Green is out there twice as much as mine.

Not all apps are weed/feed apps with most companies. Some will do the grub, aeration or other things on separate trips.

Also 6 fertilizer apps is not too many in a year if your using the right product. Now if it is a high nitrogen based product then yes that is too many and will burn up the lawn come drought. Or worst case scenario allow the turf to lose immunity and get disease. The right fertilizer along with some treatments and nutrients for the soils will give the best results. Im proud to say that my company DOES use the absolute best products in this region hands down.

Oh and we just switched to Imprelis weed control. The shit is awesome...but better be for $1400 for 2 1/2 gallons lol.

"Some will do the grub, aeration or other things on separate trips" and they will charge you for that on top of the normal apps. Don't get me started on the aeration scam.

I disagree on the 6 apps. It is overkill in my opinion just to feed the pockets of the installer. Will it hurt the lawn no, as long as it is applied at the right time. You could even go for 7 for that matter. I could push 7 on my customers if I wanted to be greedy and just lessen the rate of product going down on each app. I would rather just sell the customer only what they need. My 5 app program has everything a yard would need. I even include grub control at no charge in that 5 app program. If this rain would ever stop I might get some work done.

My lawn is nearly the size of yours, Joe. Do what I do: Go to Lowes and buy the huge bags of Preen. Put that shit down as soon as the dandelions start popping up. Takes a couple of weeks, but they die off. Total spent this year: $63.71. That was for 3 bags. You'd probably need at least one more bag. I've been doing this for years at my house. Fuck fertilizer, I don't need my lawn to grow anymore. But I will put down Preen to combat the weeds, etc. :nod:

FiL uses preen on our yard..he used to be VP of prominent Lawn care company, and won Ohio TurfGrass man of the year a few years ago, i tend to trust him

I was told to look for chemical called Dithopyr in the product. I have been told the only place that carries it is Menards.. (if you are anti-monsato, please disregard that last statement)I have no desire to put chemicals on my yard, but am considered a wacko by husband and, im sure my FiL, due to the nature of his employment and livelihood of agronomy.