What would you pay for a...

Buck531

00 (I think) Jetta with an auto. I don't know shit about VW's. One of the guys at work is thinking about selling his. It has 180k+ on it. Black, all stock. Just a daily driver. He was asking 2k for it. I told him if he went down to $1k or so to let me know. I think he just did the water pump/radiator a month or two ago. These cars will pretty much run forever right?

I was thinking about this for my son when he gets his license here in 5 or so months.

People either love VW or hate them. I love anything pre 1980, anything after 1990 I don't like in terms of reliability. Many times they require a lot of maintenance and often need dealer parts. Something with that many miles will need some maintenance to keep it running good. It seems like a good deal for the price, but again I would not buy a VW. My personal opinion and experience, others will give theirs.

He's not really "needing" to sell it. He just told me last night if someone offered him the right price on the car it would entice him to get something different.

Like I said, I told him if he wanted to do $1,000 to let me know. I was just wondering in terms of reliability for my son to drive. It's small, 4 door, no rust. Just seems like a decent first car to get him and I'm not out $5000 if he decides to hit something/some car.

Buck, there's a guy on here with a friend that is selling a 97 GTP for $1000

No thanks. He doesn't need a GTP. 1: insurance will be too high and 2: he doesn't need a supercharged car. If it were a w-body, it would be a GT or an LS Regal with the NA 3.8.

No thanks. He doesn't need a GTP. 1: insurance will be too high and 2: he doesn't need a supercharged car. If it were a w-body, it would be a GT or an LS Regal with the NA 3.8.

fyi I had allstate wich is high for insurance when I was 16 got a gtp and insurance was only 90 a month

If I was you, I would check that engine out and look for evidence of overheating. I just replaced an audi 1.8 a4 head gasket. The head had to be milled and not to mentions other parts like gaskets and the labor I charged the customer. Being that audi is owned by vw, im sure the motors are simular, also considering a water pump failure was the cause of that one going down. Anytime I see anything that could have lead to overheating, I will only buy the car if I know if the cars are cheap to fix and I'm getting a great deal on the car. Check the oil and look for evidence of water/coolant in it. It will look like chocolate milk, also the coolant for the same thing. If you see anything like that, its most likely a blown head gasket. If the oil has been changed recently, they might be trying to hide something. I have fixed all kinds of cars, plenty of domestic and imports, most of which were cars that were bought within a few months. I would just be cautious about any cars that might have overheated, especially aluminium motors.