If your home is broken into....

Putty

I keep a louisville slugger tucked away in a somewhat accessible area by my bed. Chances are very low an intruder would ever see it. If the opportunity presents itself I will use it to buy enough time to get my wife out of the house. The only kink in the plan is my daughter is upstairs and we are downstairs. I would not leave the house without her.

That's a great plan. I have the same bat in my closet.

Get a gun.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have considered that in the past - but we live in a nice area and the chances of an accidental shooting are far higher then a shooting for protection! We also live in a small neighborhood full of armed military people - I'll have to call a neighbor in for support God forbid something ever happen.

I have considered that in the past - but we live in a nice area and the chances of an accidental shooting are far higher then a shooting for protection! We also live in a small neighborhood full of armed military people - I'll have to call a neighbor in for support God forbid something ever happen.

I admire your naivety, and I mean that in the sincerest way possible.

Living in Morrow county and having a sheriff + 2 deputies (one of which was recently shot up pretty good) you've got almost no chance of any police help within 20minutes. A few weeks ago Delaware County knocked on my door at 4am (said there was a 911 hangup at my address.)

Someone gets in my house they die no matter what. I'm not a gun collector really, but I got plenty of other fun weapons around. My plan for how has been;

Wait for them to come to me, use an old speedlite on full power for a distraction/insta blinded then run them through with my cutlass.

Basically its my house, I have the upper hand in knowing the layout and being on the high ground with the element of surprise. Its a kill or be killed situation, my families there to protect, and besides that I'm a bit nuts so they better bring more than a couple friends and guns before I give up.

I wish I could say that I could rely on my wife for backup, but when she's asleep someone could blow the front door off with a stick of dynamite and she'd just jump up for a minute babble some shit and go back to sleep. If I did tell her someone was in the house she wouldn't be coherent enough and found flip out completely, probably on me, imagining I'm the guy.

Grab Battle axe from bedroom wall. Run down hallway crashing into shit destroying small objects. Hopefully dont get shot or stabbed before I bring the pain at end of hallway.

Or realistically secure my wife and son. Lock them in the bathroom with a phone and stop anyone or anything from getting past my other doors.

I am sticking with my realist idea. My floorplan allows me to defend decent enough going on the offensive would be suicide.

I still want to do the battle axe thing as well. (yes there is one on my wall)

I keep a louisville slugger tucked away in a somewhat accessible area by my bed. Chances are very low an intruder would ever see it. If the opportunity presents itself I will use it to buy enough time to get my wife out of the house. The only kink in the plan is my daughter is upstairs and we are downstairs. I would not leave the house without her.

If I were the intruder, I would take out my somewhat accessible gun and shoot you as soon as you swung the bat at me. Just sayin'.

BTW, you're way off on your statistics.

I have considered that in the past - but we live in a nice area and the chances of an accidental shooting are far higher then a shooting for protection!

Not sure I follow how living in a nice area raises the chances of an accidental shooting? Are you saying you'd shoot, miss and hit your neighbor?

A locked up gun or an unloaded gun isn't going to save me if someone comes in at night. Locking up a gun is as good as not having one.

I'm not being naive, I'm being realistic. If the gun is accessible to me in the event of a home invasion it will be accessible to others (and thus the concern for my 2 year old to shoot herself or someone else).

I was once told you can get a fingerprint activated gun safe that would slide under a bed that would be somewhat secure and somewhat accessible but I have yet to see such a creation.

Obviously if a guy/girl was standing with a gun drawn I wouldn't make a move towards the bat!

A locked up gun or an unloaded gun isn't going to save me if someone comes in at night. Locking up a gun is as good as not having one.

I'm not being naive, I'm being realistic. If the gun is accessible to me in the event of a home invasion it will be accessible to others (and thus the concern for my 2 year old to shoot herself or someone else).

I was once told you can get a fingerprint activated gun safe that would slide under a bed that would be somewhat secure and somewhat accessible but I have yet to see such a creation.

Obviously if a guy/girl was standing with a gun drawn I wouldn't make a move towards the bat!

How are you an engineer, but you can't even do a simple google search for biometric gun safes?

You are being naive if you think a bat is going to do anything against a determined intruder. There are tons of ways to secure a weapon that make it accessible by you or your wife in an emergency. You're either being lazy, afraid of weapons, or exceptionally naive.

Agreed.

Proper instruction and proper storage of a loaded weapon solves this. "Accessible" != "Prevalent".

They are at any firearms store, and IMO as good as a vault in the event of an invasion, as you stated in the beginning of this post.

I would coax them into making a move towards me (providing they were near point blank range and not showing signs of backing down). Distance is your enemy if you're the victim.

How are you an engineer, but you can't even do a simple google search for biometric gun safes?

You are being naive if you think a bat is going to do anything against a determined intruder. There are tons of ways to secure a weapon that make it accessible by you or your wife in an emergency. You're either being lazy, afraid of weapons, or exceptionally naive.

My thoughts, but you can never fully understand someone you don't know via online/text/whatever BS where you're not talking to them IRL. I hate assuming things, but unfortunately, I sometimes do.

I just now took a mental inventory of all the weapons in my bedroom. I am officially a creepy motherfucker.

1.Remington 870

2.Battle Axe

3.Decorative 16" dagger

4.Throwing knives (I throw them several times a week)

5.Compound bow

6.Whips and handcuffs.

while living in the hood i had 2 attempts into my house and both times dog went nuts and i grabed 12 guage to be very clear of my intentions.

my apolopies to the cops that showed up at 3am, door to door salesmen, boyscouts, and census worker.

Stop being a douche.

It takes me less than 10 seconds to unlock my guns. Best time was 6 seconds.

I just now took a mental inventory of all the weapons in my bedroom. I am officially a creepy motherfucker.

1.Remington 870

2.Battle Axe

3.Decorative 16" dagger

4.Throwing knives (I throw them several times a week)

5.Compound bow

6.Whips and handcuffs.

1. Guns

2. Katana

3. Baseball bat

4. Dagger

5. Conan the barbarian looking sword

6. Big black dildos

... I'm slightly creepier

I also disagree with the premise that a locked gun is useless.

An electronic safe that i have takes 4 buttons that i know in the dark, and open safe, grab .45 and flip the safety off.

I am thinking of getting this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Gun-Safes%7C/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/GunVault-Biometric-Safe/734827.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-gun-storage-gun-safes%2F_%2FN-1100213%3Frid%3D20%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3D58000000000495489%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D39557483&WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat104369580

It takes about the same amount of time to open that safe as it does to hit a snooze button.

I also disagree with the premise that a locked gun is useless.

An electronic safe that i have takes 4 buttons that i know in the dark, and open safe, grab .45 and flip the safety off.

I am thinking of getting this: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Gun-Storage/Gun-Safes%7C/pc/104792580/c/104730480/sc/104369580/GunVault-Biometric-Safe/734827.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-gun-storage-gun-safes%2F_%2FN-1100213%3Frid%3D20%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26WT.mc_id%3D58000000000495489%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D39557483&WTz_l=PPC%3Bcat104369580

It takes about the same amount of time to open that safe as it does to hit a snooze button.

I have three biometric units. Well worth the investment and they work great.

It takes me less than 10 seconds to unlock my guns. Best time was 6 seconds.

1. Guns

2. Katana

3. Baseball bat

4. Dagger

5. Conan the barbarian looking sword

6. Big black dildos

... I'm slightly creepier

Thanks. I was starting to worry.

Does this make us bestest friends?