What to do

Sam1647545489

So I got the boat running pretty good right now. Got the miss issues worked out, timing was way off. The boat runs good now, mid to low 50's with a 19* prop. Seeing as memorial day is 2 weeks away I am debating on what to do. The motor I am building is a rebuilt bottom end from another guy. I bought it off a guy from craiglists. Said it had 20k on the rebuild. He went 30 over on the pistons. I have never heard this motor run. I turned it over when I got it and everything seemed fine from that perspective. I put the new cam, new heads, new intake and carb on it. I am getting some manifolds from Tommy this weekend so I can have a complete motor, just drop in ready. Now, should I risk pulling out the 1st motor and dropping in the higher hp one and hope everything is ok with it or should I leave 1st on in till after memorial day. Memorial day is a big boating weekend and I do not wanna miss it at all. I can pull out a motor in about an hour. Should I risk it and do all that work or not? Thoughts???:yuno:

If it's an hour over 2 weeks, who gives a fuck? If you pull the motor and the new one is no dice, just put the old one back in....what'll you have in it, an afternoon?

Wanting to go faster is the source of much frustration. I say just wait, you'll get it in and have to tune it, get it working good, it'll take much longer then an hour just assuming it goes fairly smooth. I doubt you wanna deal with a boat that stumbles or stalls because the carb isn't tuned very well.

Pull it and swap the new one in as soon as you possibly can. Take it to water and flog the shit out of it at least twice. If it doesn't perform flawlessly, yank it and reinstall old motor.

You have a week. GO!

Do not short cut previous plan. You will be sorry.

All this, from a previous rotary owner..............nevermind!

I say, if you can swap it that fast, go ahead and do it. You have a little over two weeks to get the little kinks worked out. If there is anything majorly wrong you can yank it and put the old one back in. Since you will be doing the motor swaps leaving the engines complete, its not like you will lose the tuning on the old engine.

Where are you going to be for the holiday? I will be camping that whole week at Alum. Make sure you come on over or text me. You should be able to see my boat beached at my campsite to the right of the campground boat launch.

Shit, I've been trying to find that out, you can beach the boat at Alum and camp?

That's bad ass, I may do the same. Is there only one camp area there that touches water? I drove through one I think late last year, on the West near near one of the overpasses (35/36?) Edit: Looks like they're all booked up. Would still like to know how tieing the boat off near the camp ground goes though, they don't harass you about it or anything?

(Oh, and Sam.... do beer and boobies don't need a new motor? :) I'd wait, just in case... )

Shit, I've been trying to find that out, you can beach the boat at Alum and camp?

That's bad ass, I may do the same. Is there only one camp area there that touches water? I drove through one I think late last year, on the West near near one of the overpasses (35/36?) Edit: Looks like they're all booked up. Would still like to know how tieing the boat off near the camp ground goes though, they don't harass you about it or anything?

(Oh, and Sam.... do beer and boobies don't need a new motor? :) I'd wait, just in case... )

Yep, you can beach it anywhere at any site other then the designated "camp beach" spot. There are alot of spots that have room to pull your boat right up. For holidays they usually book up VERY early. For instance, we reserve ours almost a year in advance now. Its hit or miss after that...but usually they are all gone by 6-8 months out, for the holidays that is. Normal spring/summer/fall season its not as bad.

What you should do is go there on a weekday and tell them you just want to look around and go through and find some spots you like. On the weekends they will either charge you a visitors fee, or all the sites will be booked and you wont be able to see very well.

Also, make sure you reserve online...don't try and wait until the day you are wanting to camp and go there. They will all be taken.