Ok 2 questions, Polishing engine block.

codyh

Some of you may know, that my attention to detail is a little crazy and excessive sometimes, and most dont know that when my attention to detail gets out of control, the amount of labor i put into it gets out of hand aswell. And many have probably seen that ill polish anything.

So, first my tranny, I plugged all the holes and what not and sand blasted it with kind of blasting media, aluminum carbide if im not mistaken. It looks good now. Yadda yadda its obviously been sand blasted and we have been talking about what to paint it, like just an aluminum color or black, gray idk. But Im afraid of that chipping off and what not. I also want to make it different from what anyone has, so if its stolen its gonna be a bitch selling a hand polished motor. :) So I was thinking of hand polishing the block, would this be possible considering it is a cast block?

#2, I dont want to sand blast the motor, for concern of metal pieces getting everywhere. Is it true I can use baking soda, it will blast the block on contact then be disintegrated? And if some backing soda gets in the motor it should not hurt correct?

• Downvote 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://thedailyeater.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dude-wtf.jpg

As far as media blasting, just make sure there's no way for the media to get inside the engine. plug and tape off any holes, etc. As far as polishing a cast iron engine block, I've never heard of anyone doing that. If you do manage to polish the block, good luck keeping it clean.

Please get your facts correct before posting.

All Honda engine blocks, lets say after 1990, were aluminum. Probably before that too but i know for sure after that they were aluminum.

Thanks for your input tho?

All Honda engine blocks, lets say after 1990, were aluminum. Probably before that too but i know for sure after that they were aluminum.

So I was thinking of hand polishing the block, would this be possible considering it is a cast block?

More contradictions.

Try to be less of a douche when people want to help.

So I was thinking of hand polishing the block, would this be possible considering it is a cast block?

More contradictions.

Where are the contradictions again? Dont piss me off and make me bully you next time I see you. :)

my bad babe, cast aluminum. Just cause it says cast does NOT mean that its Iron.

Man, ginger, come on now. How do you not know this?

Also, as far as the actual polishing is concerned, I would be wary of any sand/soda/media blasting on a perfectly good running engine. I had a bad experience myself that I won't bother getting into in detail, but needless to say it was quite costly. Just consider the possible issues before going all gung ho with it.

Please get your facts correct before posting.

Thanks for your input tho?

way to be a dick. I misread.

More contradictions.

THIS.

my bad babe, cast aluminum. Just cause it says cast does NOT mean that its Iron.

so its cast aluminum. therefore its different than the trans how? is the trans forged aluminum?

Where are the contradictions again? Dont piss me off and make me bully you next time I see you. :)

You couldn't hurt alex if you tried. If you did try, It's my duty as a fellow ginger to back him up.

And boy does he mean anything.....

ZING!

in conclusion, cody = :fa:

want a cigarette?

Anyone read HOT ROD? For a recent 60s Hemi project this month, they took the very rare cast aluminum intake manifold to a media blaster to clean it and either paint or polish it. The blaster blew a hole through one of the intake runners! :eek:

They had to patch the hole with a TIG. From that, I would also be very wary of media-blasting your aluminum block.

Find a shop that uses either bead or walnut shells for blasting. If you use sand, Aluminum Oxide, etc. You will have a very hard time getting it clean. It's for that reason I won't blast manifolds, valve covers, I.C. pipes and such. From there start sanding. Start around 800 and go up 1500-2000ish grit. Maybe higher depending on how "dirty" the casting is. Then you should be able to get out the polishing wheels, and compounds. It'll take a good amount of time, but look killer when its done. Then clear coat it.

Find a shop that uses either bead or walnut shells for blasting. If you use sand, Aluminum Oxide, etc. You will have a very hard time getting it clean. It's for that reason I won't blast manifolds, valve covers, I.C. pipes and such. From there start sanding. Start around 800 and go up 1500-2000ish grit. Maybe higher depending on how "dirty" the casting is. Then you should be able to get out the polishing wheels, and compounds. It'll take a good amount of time, but look killer when its done. Then clear coat it.

This.

Personally I think you're retarded for wanting to do this but whatever. Enjoy all the hours you'll spend trying to get a nice finish.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard... Do you plan on polishing your block every couple days after it oxidizes?

Do polished wheels oxidize every other day... no....

why do so many hate because they just dont have the work ethic to do something like this. It shall look amazing upon completing it.

And sirsplatonmybackalot, the tranny head and block are cast aluminum... try again. ;)

why do so many hate because they just dont have the work ethic to do something like this. It shall look amazing upon completing it.

And sirsplatonmybackalot, the tranny head and block are cast aluminum... try again. ;)

Wheels dont go through the heat cycle engines do. Its a waste of time

quoted to prove you're gay, and a catcher. ok so obviously my post didnt make it through your thick skull. Your trans is cast aluminum, you dont see a problem polishing it.Your block you do see a problem polishing because its cast. therefore you fail, since they are both cast aluminum. go re read your posts, i wasn't trying anything, simply pointing out your logic is flawed.

little fag. :dumb:

:nono:

Were not hating, it just seems like a lot of work to run 14's...