When Transplant question 2UZFE in a RX7 (Third gen)

Second Gen

I have a 1993 Mazda RX7 and have been thinking about going piston.. Lots of people doing LSX swaps, but wondered about the Toyota/Lexus swap for a 2UZFE (4.7 in a couple SUV/trucks).

Facts about the motor

Seems to be mostly aluminum

270HP/340 Tq

Want to autocross it again (Miss it)

Opinions??

Know of anyone that has used this motor in anything else?

Both of you work @ the same place and completely different opinions. Got to love it..

Agreed on the Bebop's build. Was looking for a cost effective build and one that would be a good fit for autocrossing.. Since it is a truck motor it should be great for torque and being a toyota it should last a while (Did I mention I had a 2000 Tundra and own a 2006 now too). Both were/are the 4.7 2UZFE motors.

Edited by Second Gen
Additional stuff

If you haven't registered on Supraforums, do so and look through this:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?602477-New-SP-Project-Cowboy-Bebop-s-4.7L-TT-Supra-visits-for-some-quot-minor-quot-work

They're good motors and would be awesome for what you want to do, but you'll see why I said to look away from bebop's. Everything Eric does isn't quite as it seems.

2uz-fe is an iron block with alloy heads, weighs approximately 80 pounds more than its siblings the 1 and 3uz. They're excellent blocks if you're looking to make loads of horsepower, but if you're worried about maintaining balance I'd toss the crank into an early 1uz block and use appropriate rods and pistons to match. You'd still be a 4.7L, just without the added weight. Alternatively there are other options as well, the 1uz-fe without vvti is extremely tunable, cams, supercharger manifolds (using the ubiquitous Eaton M series), individual throttle body manifolds, and even Holley carb manifolds are available, and they're much easier to tune with an aftermarket ecu given the lack of vvt.

Here's a great website with loads of information and discussion on the engine and tuning possibilities.

www.v-eight.com

Also check out this link for an idea of tuning the car if you go with a vvt based engine, 4.3L all alloy quad cam making silly power at 9300 rpm (short shifting no less, cams were designed for 10k+):

http://www.v-eight.com/tech_forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=99

I would recommend heavy reading before diving into the swap, as parts can be somewhat problematic to find. I was thinking about doing it for a long time, but decided I didn't want to run a ton of power and I'm broke as a joke. I will say this: the engine itself is fantastic, but do not use the factory intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, or ECU. You'll be putting out a max of about 180 hp and 240 tq if you do, they're huge bottlenecks and they're wastes of time. A back to back dyno between equal 1uzs, the only difference being one had ITBs, showed a 75+ horsepower increase just by going ITB (185 vs 274 iirc). Both of those were W58 transmission Soarers with fully programmable ECUs and headers/exhaust. That's how terrible the factory manifold is. Mild cams will also give massive gains, a1turbos in New Zealand is currently putting down over 330 whp with what amounts to being a mild 256 or 264 grind in their rally Levin with ITBs.

Some vids for you to enjoy haha:

13.x:1 compression, 288 cams, itbs w/ trumpets lengthened 100mm, w55 or w58 trans, headers/exhaust, and standalone. 370 whp iirc, may be a bit less.

Ed's JZA80, 410 whp and 9300 rpm redline. He's now building a new block and dry sumping the engine to make more power and rev it to where it needs to be.