10yr old electricity bill question.

Littleguy

So, I checked my mail on Friday and got an electricity bill in it from the City of College Station Utilities. I looked it over and it looks like they are billing me $256 they say I am passed due for a place I lived at in 2001 when I was a student at Texas A&M.

I don't remember owing any money and this is the first I have heard of it since I moved out of the residence in May of 2001. The letter says if I don't pay it they are going to report it to my credit so, I'd like some advice as to how you all would go about disputing it. I want to send a certified letter to them to dispute it, but I am not sure what to put in it.

I know it isn't a whole lot of money, but I really don't think I owe it. That and I'm trying to buy a sports car in the next month, as I've been driving around my RX for over a year now and it's like being in a coma, and I am saving all the money I can for the car.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

searched "city of college station utilities scam" found this

http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?recordid=4516&page=3089

College Station Utilities has been notified by numerous customers stating that they have received telephone calls by someone identifying themselves as an employee of College Station Utilities. They are requesting payment for a past due utility bill in order to avoid disconnection of utility services.

These calls are NOT initiated by College Station Utilities. If you are contacted and have a concern about your utility balance or account status, please contact a Customer Service Representative at 979.764.3535 or access your account online at http://www.cstx.gov/ucs.

For more information or questions, contact Cathy Stark, Utility Customer Service Manager, at 979.764.3585.

edit: from 2009 but nonetheless...

Yeah after seeing that it was a scam in 2009 I am sure it still is, I would just ignore it and see what happens, seems like they want to get a small amout of money from everyone. Thinking most will be 10 years out of college have good jobs, credit and not want to ruin it so they will just write a check.

why not trying calling the electric company that sent you the bill and ask...?

That's what I'm going to do today, I hadn't even thought of it being a scam. But if it is real, I would prefer to respond in writing than by phone so it can be documented.

If you call them, make sure you call a number from their website and just not the one on the letter. It could very well be fake too.

You also should look at the statute of limitations in Texas for small claims court. I know in Ohio, they have 7 years.

If you call them, make sure you call a number from their website and just not the one on the letter. It could very well be fake too.

You also should look at the statute of limitations in Texas for small claims court. I know in Ohio, they have 7 years.

Indeed. I didn't have time to call today because they closed when I was still at work so I'm going to do it tomorrow. I hope this is a scam attempt so I won't have to fight with them.

Indeed. I didn't have time to call today because they closed when I was still at work so I'm going to do it tomorrow. I hope this is a scam attempt so I won't have to fight with them.

It is a scam. They would not be coming after you at this point. It would have long ago been sent to a collection agency. City of College Station Utilities sure as fuck doesnt have the means or motivation to track you down wherever you live now to send you that.