Official Football 2011 Thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word is Williams injury is one that people dont fully recover from. Its the same injury that Greg Oden had, so I wouldn't expect Williams to be a starter or even be half of what he once was

Greg Oden has been out with multiple injuries. He didn't just have 1 injury and not really recover from it.

Sooooo, PSU got that rockstar head coach hire they've all been dreaming of and waiting patiently for. The blogosphere couldn't be happier.

i think he is a bridge for 3-5 years to weather the storm.

They couldn't keep anyone from the current staff around, so Bradley was out.

No big name is gonna touch the job with a legal battle hanging over the program's head

Word is Williams injury is one that people dont fully recover from. Its the same injury that Greg Oden had, so I wouldn't expect Williams to be a starter or even be half of what he once was

I don't know what exactly the injury is but I know it required microfracture surgery and that's never a good thing to hear for sure. It's very hit or miss whether someone will come back anywhere close to where they were from that surgery. It might be more of an issue to come back from for the tall, lanky basketball players in which it's more common though (like Greg Oden). Amare Stoudemire had the surgery twice I believe and was still a beast for at least a little while after it for the Suns. Guys like Allan Houston and Penny Hardaway on the other hand had their careers essentially ended by the surgery.

Sooooo, PSU got that rockstar head coach hire they've all been dreaming of and waiting patiently for. The blogosphere couldn't be happier.

i think he is a bridge for 3-5 years to weather the storm.

They couldn't keep anyone from the current staff around, so Bradley was out.

No big name is gonna touch the job with a legal battle hanging over the program's head

^^ Exactly, they are never 100% of what they once were. Stoudemire while good was not nearly as explosive as he was before the surgery. Odens knee problems all go back to the microfracture surgery, the broken wrist while at OSU was completely seperate.

No they don't.

He had microfracture surgery on his RIGHT knee after the draft.

He bruised his LEFT knee after hitting it

He then destroyed his Patella and had to have Microfracture surgery on his LEFT knee.

He had a dengerative hip socket when he was in 6th grade and had to have it repaired. The surgeons slightly botched the surgery, making one leg grow slightly longer than the other. It's speculated that this causes odd strain on his knees.

So a bruised knee has ruined his career? Interesting. The Micrrofracture surgery is the culprit in why the kid has been a bust in the NBA. Look what you just posted, he's had microfracture surgery on BOTH of his knees, again this procedure is known to end careers and I don't see it being any different for Nathan Williams. FWIW Williams is one of my favorite players on this team as he plays with the same motor as Simon. I think a lot of people are going to be dissapointed when he doesn't perform to the level he did the last 2 years before injury.

So a bruised knee has ruined his career? Interesting.
Huh? Where did I say that?
The Micrrofracture surgery is the culprit in why the kid has been a bust in the NBA. Look what you just posted, he's had microfracture surgery on BOTH of his knees,
Keyword, BOTH. Rumor is he tore another tendon, which is why he is out again. Like I said, he has 1 leg longer than the other. Go ahead, use example, but Oden is not a good example for this.
again this procedure is known to end careers and I don't see it being any different for Nathan Williams. FWIW Williams is one of my favorite players on this team as he plays with the same motor as Simon. I think a lot of people are going to be dissapointed when he doesn't perform to the level he did the last 2 years before injury.

And football is different than basketball

Colston

Surgery in 2009 offseason

2009 1,074 yards receiving

2010 1,023 yards

2010 offseason, another microfracture surgery

2011 1,143 yards and still going

Brandon Graham and Da'Quan Bowers have been solid in the roles they play after having Microfracture surgery

Are you insinuating that football is less stress on the legs then basketball? I would again have to disagree as your coming from a down position rather then standing upwards the entire game. The constant bending of the knee will not help Williams case. I can name off a couple NBA players recovered from it, but that doesn't change the fact that its about 80% rate of those that don't come back to 100%

BTW when did Bowers have this microfracture surgery, as of April right before the draft he hadn't had it...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/26225/have-at-it-looking-beyond-daquan-bowers

There was rumors that he would eventually need it, but as far as I know he still has yet to go through with it. It actually cost him a lot of money becasue teams felt he would need it and wouldn't be the same player. Hell the kid went from a top 5 pick preseason by many "experts" to falling to a mid 2nd rounder

Are you insinuating that football is less stress on the legs then basketball? I would again have to disagree as your coming from a down position rather then standing upwards the entire game. The constant bending of the knee will not help Williams case. I can name off a couple NBA players recovered from it, but that doesn't change the fact that its about 80% rate of those that don't come back to 100%
Bending of the kneeds is different than a constant pounding of jumping up and down on a hard surface. C'mon now.

BTW when did Bowers have this microfracture surgery, as of April right before the draft he hadn't had it...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/26225/have-at-it-looking-beyond-daquan-bowers

There was rumors that he would eventually need it, but as far as I know he still has yet to go through with it. It actually cost him a lot of money becasue teams felt he would need it and wouldn't be the same player. Hell the kid went from a top 5 pick preseason by many "experts" to falling to a mid 2nd rounder

His agent claims he didn't have it, all Dr's say to have to have had it done. The Dr that did it cannot release information.

And football is different than basketball

This is a biggie and I mentioned it in my post. First, the types of athletes are just different. Typically much longer legs on the guys being mentioned in the NBA vs. a guy like Nate Williams. Then you have the playing surface. Hard wood vs. soft grass/turf.

soft grass/turf? Maybe in september after a good rain lol, football fields are definitley not soft. I can't tell you how many times I had shin splits due to the hard ass football fields. The artificial shit like in OSU's stadium isn't that bad, i've played on the field right behind the shoe which has the same stuff as the actual field. However not every school has that stuff. If Williams comes back and is a beast, then great. OSU would have one hell of a d-line rotation next year, I just don't think its going to happen. I guess only time will tell

soft grass/turf? Maybe in september after a good rain lol, football fields are definitley not soft. I can't tell you how many times I had shin splits due to the hard ass football fields. The artificial shit like in OSU's stadium isn't that bad, i've played on the field right behind the shoe which has the same stuff as the actual field. However not every school has that stuff. If Williams comes back and is a beast, then great. OSU would have one hell of a d-line rotation next year, I just don't think its going to happen. I guess only time will tell

OSU doesnt play on any real surfaces next year except at Penn State

No I was talking about his playing days beyond OSU, if there are any. It'll be interesting to see how he recovers and to see if he is even able to play next year.

Well, with him being a speed rush DE, he is more about speed and power and less agility. If the surgery went ok he should be fine.

Well compared to steel, concrete is soft...which one would you rather be hit by lol. Back in highschool we played on some fields that when you landed you felt like you was hitting cement, dirt dries up and becomes hard. I didn't know OSU had so many games next year on the artificial shit so that might help him some, but he still has to recover from the surgery to begin with

Well compared to steel, concrete is soft...which one would you rather be hit by lol. Back in highschool we played on some fields that when you landed you felt like you was hitting cement, dirt dries up and becomes hard. I didn't know OSU had so many games next year on the artificial shit so that might help him some, but he still has to recover from the surgery to begin with

I can assure you that no away game that OSU would ever agree to would be on a field that is like a HS field

You gotta think, probably the worst field in Major D1 football is Heinz Field, and they replace the sod 2-3 times per season, so it's more sloppy than hard and dry.