With all this talk of divorce latley....

coltboostin

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many people are dumb and get married too young.. like its some rush to get married or something??? I mean the last time I checked "forever" means "FOREVER" right?? People get married so young and mature and grow apart and theres your problem. Get married after being together for a long time and we wouldnt have half the issues.

i know its against a lot of peoples beliefs or religion but i would recommend living with your significant other for at least 6m-1yr. that way there arent any surprises. i bet that will decrease the divorce rate by a lot

You would think so, but IIRC, there was a study done a few years ago that showed people who DID live together prior to marriage had a higher divorce rate.

(this article is from 87 in the NYTimes)

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/12/07/us/divorce-may-be-the-price-of-living-together-first.html

This one from 2005

http://www.ewtn.com/library/ISSUES/zcohabit.htm

I know I'm not married or dating but I would imagine if:

I cheated on my wife: Yes, I would remarry but I'll make sure she's the one.

She cheated on me: I think my buddy Fleshlight and I will be fine for a year or so until I start dating again.

Peaceful divorce (both argee): yes I would remarry

She's a bitch: No marry

She's a lesbo: ask for a threesome then remarry later

She's a bisexual: Ask for a threesome then marry the other chick

You homo: Some states you can legally marry

My parents were together for 2 years and married at 19 and 20. They have been married for 40 years, going strong.

My in-laws were together for 1 1/2 years, married at 23 and 24. They have been married for 30 years and going strong.

i know its against a lot of peoples beliefs or religion but i would recommend living with your significant other for at least 6m-1yr. that way there arent any surprises. i bet that will decrease the divorce rate by a lot

yeah right...i dated my ex for 9 months before she moved in, lived with her for just over 4 years, and the day i kicked her out was one of the happiest days i had had in years.

:fa::lolguy:

I believe that the studies go on to say that if you move in with an SO with the intention of engagement and marriage at the time of moving in together, that it actually helps a marriage but only slightly. Also a couple that lives together before marriage and then has intensive pre marriage conseling has significantly better results than the average.

Being my wife deals with this stuff every day as a Family Lawyer, I feel like I've seen it all. What we see most is one or the other stops working at it.

We've been together for 21+ years. We lived together first for 3 years and don't regret a thing. Marriage is never 100% stress free utopia. It's a commitment that has to be worked at like job. Once you get married, the key is to remember any decision you make is about the other person too. In many cases them first. If you look at it and don't take them in consideration or put them 2nd then that's exactly what you're telling them.

It's not rocket science really. Our commitment is to work at it like a job and stay true to each other. Hell, we have two kids, so it's no longer just about us and we know that. Now life and decisions become about them first and then us and balancing everything with trust and respect most always insures success.

Cliffs: 41 and 43 year old that have been together for 21+ years.

intensive pre marriage conseling

First sentence out of our preacher's mouth during the first one was something like, "Amanda, why do you want to be a part of your husband's home?"

"What do you mean HIS house?"

"Well, the man is the head of the household, don't you agree?"

I don't think we gained a whole lot out of those 5 classes.

I realistically don't see myself getting married again, but I'm sure if the perfect girl came along I would reconsider.

We were together for 2 years and lived together for a year before we got married. We were only married a year and a half before she took all MY money and filed for divorce.

Just remember, once a cheater, always a cheater. I'll date another girl who has been known to cheat, even once.

First sentence out of our preacher's mouth during the first one was something like, "Amanda, why do you want to be a part of your husband's home?"

Ours went really well. First question was "what do you see as the biggest barrier between the 2 of you?"

I like your counselor. He sounds like he knows his shit.

We were only married a year and a half before she took all MY money and filed for divorce.

Sounds like you willingly commingled your money and assets thus it was no longer just your money. Hopefully your attorney explained how that all works. Don't take it personally. Marriage is a partnership just like a business. Assets need to be treated just like assets in a business partnership.

Yes, we've talked about divorice several times... yes, I'm still married... yes, I love her more than anything in the world.... if this marriage fails will I ever do it again? HELL NO!

we were together for about 3 years before getting married (maybe longer, I can't even remember anymore) it's really just one big beating...

2 biggest reasons for divorce, money and kids... and yes both has about driven us to divorice more times than I can count.

Haw many people have "been there"?

And, of those who are still married, your you really do it again? Really? Dont worry the wife is not looking. ;)

Discuss...

Ive had more than a few friends who were both married young or old and then divorced, they all said they would marry again if they found someone worth it or someone they fell in love with. Actually, my buddy steve was married young and i dont think it lasted more than a few years. He was single a while then met someone now they're married with a baby girl and he's happy. So i dont think its impossible.

Ive been in relationships that didnt work out, girls cheat, guys cheat, shit happens. Gotta find someone to trust. Usually I would say people who marry young dont work out but my parents married very young and were great together. So anythings possible.

Been together for 17 years after she became pregnant less than a month after meeting. Been married 13 years and wouldnt change a thing. Both of our parents have been married almost 40 years(no not to each other). We are married for life. If it ever came to iit and we did divorce, I would marry again.

Been together for 17 years after she became pregnant less than a month after meeting. Been married 13 years and wouldnt change a thing. Both of our parents have been married almost 40 years(no not to each other). We are married for life. If it ever came to iit and we did divorce, I would marry again.

True love runs deep. :dumb: