Mounting a tire - more than 10 years old

Fubar231

Discount tire wouldnt do it because its more than 10 years old (From 95). Can anyone on here mount it for me? I messaged derek waiting to hear back from him but can anyone else do it for me?

The tires on the wheel but its leaking around the bead (Believe thats what its called). I just need it pulled off and put back on and resealed.

Thanks,

Shane

Christ, they won't even repair a tire that's that old?

I am so tired of hearing some of these chain stores and their ridiculous policies and prices.

"It's a safety thing."

Bullshit. It's a sell more new tires, mounting services, and road hazard thing.

Not really, Most tires that are 6 years old are dry rotted... And when you break the bead on them, sometimes the machine goes through the sidewall..

If it doesnt go through the sidewall, when you fill it up to pop the beads back on it gets dangerous..

I would take it to steves used tires.. They'll do anything for 10$

I am so tired of hearing some of these chain stores and their ridiculous policies and prices.

"It's a safety thing."

There was some multi-million dollar lawsuit over old (yet "brand new") tires some years back involving the death of several people. After that case all the chain stores got pissy about the DOT codes/repairs. Watched a video about it and like rocky said they are highly prone to failure.

And I think they will repair a tire that is old, I.E. plug it or what not, just wont take one that has been sitting unused for 10+ years and mount it.

Edit: any tire that old has obviously been sitting for forever and has probably dry-rotted so maybe not.

Edited by acklac7

Not really, Most tires that are 6 years old are dry rotted... And when you break the bead on them, sometimes the machine goes through the sidewall..

If it doesnt go through the sidewall, when you fill it up to pop the beads back on it gets dangerous..

:thumbup: That's a bingo. They will all eventually dry rot if not turning, how long it takes depends on the compound and the storage conditions. But by 10 years, I think it's a safe bet that the risks outweigh the savings of not buying new.

How many times have your tires saved your life? What's that worth?

On a side note next time your purchasing tires ask the salesman to see the DOT code (born on date), or even better ask him to interpret it for you (the code is not straight forward and rather cryptic, not to mention it's printed on the inside of the tire) - They hate it, and will often give you a look like "how in the hell do you know about that??"

"It's a safety thing."

You would change your mind after you saw a kids face get blown half the fucking way off. I like how your complaining but yet your the one not putting yourself in harms way.

If I was the manager Id show you how to do it and you could take the chance.

Rubber does not last forever. Do you not realize how much pressure a tire holds @ just 30PSI? not to mention it will be on your car turning with curb weight. When that tire lets go I nor would I put anyone in the way of the steel belts.

Ive personally have seen a tire rip open blow up and straight slice a kids hand open.

8 years in the business and I can tell you Discount Tire is one of the leaders in keeping the customer safe and the employees If you cant handle that go down the street to a used tire place they just want your dollar and dont care if you make it back to purchase anything they just robbed your wallet.

Ive been driving on the tires for months now and i havn't had any problems with them. I bought them off of someone on here that had them. They dont seem dry rotted either there in good condition, and i would think if something would of happened it already would of happened. Also when they were mounting the tires the mounted one on backwords so they took it off with the machine and re-mounted it and it didnt crack or anything like that. I believe the tires were stored in a place that was temp controlled (I.E. in a house or something). Plus, the tires are maybe half tread so who knows how much longer ill be driving on them, i just cant afford a set of new tires right now. My fronts are basically shot which im going to have to replace soon, and i definitely cant afford fronts and rears for my car...

Anybody have any 275+ 17" tires they dont use/need anymore?

I hope those aren't going on the camaro in your Sig. I have seen 3 year old tires I would be scared to drive on, much less 10. Not trying to be a dick but if you can't afford tires or maintenance on your ride, don't drive it or buy something cheaper that you can keep up with. It's not worth you, your family, or others on the road safety. I wouldn't have 10 year old tires on my lawn mower.

You would change your mind after you saw a kids face get blown half the fucking way off. I like how your complaining but yet your the one not putting yourself in harms way.

I stood over tire changers for over a decade... 6 or 7 days a week, often times working on farm equipment, off-road equipment, etc that was far rougher than 99% of the shit the chain stores get in each day, and on machines far older and less safe than today's. I am more than qualified to post my thoughts on tire shops.

Thanks.

6 years, huh? There is no magic age on a tire going bad. Tires should be inspected for condition, not for a stamp on the sidewall. Sorry guys, all of you that have been conditioned to what these pretty chain tire stores and dealerships are selling, are paying too much and being fed a lot of BS. Just a true story.

At the risk of sounding old and grumpy and the know-it-all, I sold thousands and thousands of new and used tires for 10 years. The age of the tire was never the cause of a single issue at the shop. To have a silly policy that they can't reseal a rim that is 10 years and 1 day old is simply in place to sell you a new tire. Right or wrong, that is what I will always believe. I will also never believe that a $50 tire repair is warranted. Ever.

Back to Top Gear.

6 years, huh? There is no magic age on a tire going bad. Tires should be inspected for condition, not for a stamp on the sidewall. Sorry guys, all of you that have been conditioned to what these pretty chain tire stores and dealerships are selling, are paying too much and being fed a lot of BS. Just a true story.

At the risk of sounding old and grumpy and the know-it-all, I sold thousands and thousands of new and used tires for 10 years. The age of the tire was never the cause of a single issue at the shop. To have a silly policy that they can't reseal a rim that is 10 years and 1 day old is simply in place to sell you a new tire. Right or wrong, that is what I will always believe. I will also never believe that a $50 tire repair is warranted. Ever.

Back to Top Gear.

How often do you change your oil?

KillJoy

Inb4 "thats all just scumbag laywer BS"

"Dan Zolenski of the US Rubber Manufacturers Association, which represents all of the major US tire manufactures says there's no need for US drivers to be given the same warning British car owners have received"