Are you a Facebook Holdout?

TTQ B4U

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I held out on facebook until 2006ish. When Facebook first came out it looked like the interface was horrible, so I kept to Friendster. Friendster was sweet, then Myspace came out and I reluctantly made an account the month it came out. Friendster went down hill and I jumped to Myspace, same thing happened again and now Facebook is on top. I use it daily, it's a fun way to keep in touch with friends. I also made an account on Google+, but I like the Facebook interface better, who knows the same fate may come to Facebook as it did to Friendster and Myspace.

I'm on it and use it quite a bit. When you're in IT and have access to it, it's easy to get on it to pass the time, if you have the time, of course. However, I only use it for two things:

1. Pics

2. Status updates

I've blocked everything else. Fuck playing games and all that other bull shit. For me, it's just a way to keep in touch with friends and family I don't see all the time. As someone said earlier, when used properly, it's a good tool... :nod:

I changed the password on my facebook to something I wouldn't remember and deactivated it. My life has been forever changed.

First time I deactivated it, someone logged in to my account and it reactivated. Only person that knew my password was my ex-girlfriend. :yuno:

EDIT: Barstoolu.com took the place of my facebook.

I love this reasoning.

I'm also wildly inappropriate in my conversation and humor and do not want an employer looking at what I'd be putting on there. No matter what you do with your privacy settings you can never completely secure that information.

Occasionally I get bored enough with life to get on there. Wreak a little havok and jump back off.

I'm on it and use it quite a bit. When you're in IT and have access to it, it's easy to get on it to pass the time, if you have the time, of course. However, I only use it for two things:

1. Pics

2. Status updates

I've blocked everything else. Fuck playing games and all that other bull shit. For me, it's just a way to keep in touch with friends and family I don't see all the time. As someone said earlier, when used properly, it's a good tool... :nod:

This.

Syncing it with your phone contacts is a great way to keep everything up to date, and syncing it with your calendar helps you remember birthdays. #1 reason why I use it.

If everyone would just dump it and get on Google+ I'd be much happier, it works so much better.

I'm also wildly inappropriate in my conversation and humor and do not want an employer looking at what I'd be putting on there. No matter what you do with your privacy settings you can never completely secure that information.

You can edit settings for different groups of people to see certain things but I'm just too lazy to go sorting through hundreds of people like that.. I barely post anymore unless it's shit my grandma wouldn't mind seeing. When I see a bar buddy's status update like "TOOK A HUGE SHIT IT SMELLED HORRIBLE SO I SMOKED A BOWL IN THE BATHROOM TO COVER IT UP" I envy their facebook freedom.

This.

Syncing it with your phone contacts is a great way to keep everything up to date, and syncing it with your calendar helps you remember birthdays. #1 reason why I use it.

If everyone would just dump it and get on Google+ I'd be much happier, it works so much better.

+1

It is nice to know when events are coming up and people, Birthdays, phone #, etc. if your phone dies.

My main reason for using it is because we have ZERO family local. Our family is spread out across the country so its easy to put up pictures of our family and events, etc. that we have going on for them to see.

I don't mind employers, etc. looking on there because if you are that concerned about it, you probably shouldn't be posting/saying it. I think people have lost touch with computers and say things they wouldn't say in person.

I created an account for family, but never really wanted to get into it. I gae it a try and now I just poke it about once every other week or so. The lack of true filtering of incoming and outgoing data is a joke. So I wouldn't care if FB suddenly disappeared.

You can edit settings for different groups of people to see certain things but I'm just too lazy to go sorting through hundreds of people like that.. I barely post anymore unless it's shit my grandma wouldn't mind seeing. When I see a bar buddy's status update like "TOOK A HUGE SHIT IT SMELLED HORRIBLE SO I SMOKED A BOWL IN THE BATHROOM TO COVER IT UP" I envy their facebook freedom.

That's why I don't have my family on mine except my step sister and brother and they could care less

I like Google+ better but nobody uses it so facebook it is. The fucking buthurtness some people get over it amazes me. I hide almost all my wife's friends from my news feed, because we are married they have to "friend" me and I can't decline it or my wife is asking "why"? Sofa king annoying, and I hide every game on there. I mainly Message some peeps in Cleveland/Cincinnati or accross the nation I know and don't get out there as much as I should. I used to travel every weekend in and out of state for years (before kids) and have met a lot of people that I still talk too.

As some on here know most of my statuses are aimed at family as I mainly post about my kids, pics/videos. It's either kids or sports. I'm sure I'm hidden too. :)

I've got the privacy thing down pretty good. I have a list that I call "Can't See Shit" and if I don't consider you close enough of a friend, I put you on that list. You can't see anything of mine, the only thing you can do is private message me. :lol: Back when I was coaching high school ice hockey, I put any of my kids that added me to Facebook in that list. I didn't want something I posted or whatever coming back that I wasn't fit to coach or some shit. However, I'm very careful about what I post. The only pics of me you'll find are vacation, some family, playing ice hockey, etc. And I surely don't get political nor bash my workplace.

I've blocked a few of my wife's family because what they post just annoys the shit out of me. Non stop kid updates or bitching about their lives. :rolleyes:

Lastly, I too have no local family, so it's a great way for my family to see pics of my kids, etc.

I've blocked a few of my wife's family because what they post just annoys the shit out of me. Non stop kid updates or bitching about their lives. :rolleyes:

Lastly, I too have no local family, so it's a great way for my family to see pics of my kids, etc.

It took my wife who has a page about 3 days to figure out that her family, the main reason she created hers, was going to drive her nuts with their stupid updates and bitching. :lolguy:

Pics wise, I have a number of different places I put pics for family, friends, message boards, etc... so I don't really need Facebook to host them.

I just get a kick out of it all because as I read through my wife's page with all her connections and family, I keeping things "I really don't give a shit" about what they post about. Can't also help think the same thing would be said about us if we posted a bunch of crap like they do.

I had a friend who had set it up so that people he graduated highschool with could see his page, but other than that it was private. His perspective employer created a fake page claiming they graduated from his highschool just so they could research him on FB. Bogey on that.

I just think i'll get into more trouble than its worth.