What cars should I consider?

Trouble Maker

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about an R32? The only downside I see to it is it's a Haldex AWD compared to the Torsen based in the other Audi's.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/rt_volkswagen-r32_lead1/1603507-1-eng-US/rt_volkswagen-r32_lead1.jpg

What about an R32? The only downside I see to it is it's a Haldex AWD compared to the Torsen based in the other Audi's.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/rt_volkswagen-r32_lead1/1603507-1-eng-US/rt_volkswagen-r32_lead1.jpg

Find me an $8,500 R32 and I'll let you suck my balls.

BMW E46 touring....but finding a manual AWD is likely impossible (they're out there but extremely rare in that combo)

you can rather easily find a manual RWD E46 Touring and if you're worried about winter performance, a set of winter rubber is easily better than AWD, all things considered

if anything though, I would eschew BMW AWD......they seem to kill front axles A LOT and it's unnecessary weight

manual RWD E39 528i (straight six M52B28) or 530i (M52TUB30) can be found too

if you decide to go BMW, lemme know if I can assist you in looking and if local enough, examining the car ;)

No it's cool, passats are b5.5

Zeitgeist I'm sure will chime in eventually. His has been good from what I gathered.

I need to do the control arms on my Passat, but it's been a love-hate car. 127k miles and I'm keeping her as long as I can...

No AWD, Jesse...but I've been through nashty Cinci ice/snowstorms on my 18"s with bald tires and done very well.

I love Suzuki, but I wouldn't get an SX4...too small for my tastes!

EDIT: My bad...got OT. You don't want the B5 Passat and that's a good thing. That price point is tough to fill: too cheap for low-mileage later models with what you want; too high for hi-mileage junk...

FORESTER XT!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-FORESTER-2-5-XT-TURBO-AWD-2-FLORIDA-OWNERS-GREAT-CONDITION-WINTER-READY-/260924287009?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cc04ca821#ht_23139wt_896

That price point is tough to fill: too cheap for low-mileage later models with what you want; too high for hi-mileage junk...

Ya, that's what I'm realizing. I really feel like we need about $12-15k to do it right. But we are saving up for a down payment on a house, so that's where the large chunk of our savings is going. We can't really divert any more to the car fund quite yet.

I can keep driving the Sunfire. It's starting to have little things go 'wrong', even though it's more than derivable still. The latest thing was what pushed me to start looking. The cruise control stopped working, though I haven't tried to fix it yet. Like I said earlier in the thread, I drive 37 miles to work, 35 of it on the highway. This might be a breaking point if I can't fix it.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=294922785

there are seriously few options. Knock off AWD or manual trans and the possibilities will shoot through the roof. Sucks, I know.

Uhhh, no SUV and lowish mileage are requirements. That car doesn't fit what I want at all. My current car has 170k, I'm not spending our whole car fund on something with 20k less miles on it. If I have to get a car that fits none of what I want, I will just get another beater when this one dies. Then keep saving up until I can get what I want.

Even the XT Clay suggested feels a little to crossover-ish for me, even though it's only a few inches bigger than an Impreza wagon.

F450 Dually.

I'm really a smaller car drive.... but you don't know how many times I've fantasied about having a huge truck. Every time someone cuts in front of me at a light and I have the right of way, and have to get on the brakes to not hit them. Or when someone changes into my lane and I have to take evasive maneuvers. I sometimes feel like people try to change lanes into my car on purpose, it happens at such a high incident rate. If I had some big old truck with brush guards all over it, they could just run into me and I wouldn't have to care. :fuckyeah:

IMHO, Jesse...keep the Sunfire as long as you can. I've realized that when the opportunity comes along to buy a great car at a great price (like it did with my Odyssey) then you'll be happier you waited. Believe me, as much as I like my Passat I would be happy to get rid of it tomorrow. However...the CTS-V fund isn't there quite yet, and the longer I wait the more money I have (and the cheaper a good '05-'06 CTS-V gets!) :)

BTW...saw you a few weeks ago driving a Miata on Reed Rd?

Ya, that's what I'm realizing. I really feel like we need about $12-15k to do it right. But we are saving up for a down payment on a house, so that's where the large chunk of our savings is going. We can't really divert any more to the car fund quite yet.

You and I still need to have a discussion. Beers in the first part of 2012?

-Marc

A 2008 CR-V EX AWD with 25kmi just popped up at work for (minimum bid) $13,329. Edmunds pegs that at a little under $19k from a dealer. Really tempting even if it's not exactly what I want, dog slow, and more money than I have right now.

I could drive it for a year or two, and if I hated it probably sell it for as much as I paid for it.

Volvo V70R Wagon?

AWD, Wagon, Turbo, I have never seen a manual one in person, nor do I know if they make them. Driven auto versions though, lots of fun.

My boss has one with like 225k on the clock. Dont think they are all that expensive either.