CR Review: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

zeitgeist57

I know I said it's the CTS-V or nothing to replace the Passat! However, I've ALWAYS been a Jeep fan and thought it would be great to have one to DD. I've ridden in an '07 4-door Wrangler on a few occasions, and enjoyed the ride. It was my friend's automatic, so I never drove it. With the Pentastar 3.6L V6 in the 2012 Jeep - plus rumors of Fiat putting a diesel in one later next year into 2013 - I thought it was time to take one for a spin.

Went to Performance Jeep off of SW 270 and Georgesville. Really great salesman helped me out. I test drove a 2012 Sport S model, which did have PW/PL but was otherwise pretty basic.

RIDE/HANDLING/COMFORT- When I told the guy that I would be driving the Jeep everyday, he warned me that it might bounce me to death. Mentally armed with that warning, I was surprised at how smooth it was over surface streets with a LOT of potholes and ruts. It was bouncy at low speeds, but definitely not discomforting. As the speed increased, the ride got softer and more controlled. Wind gusts definitely pushed the Jeep, but overall I was pleasantly surprised (insert "went-better-than-expected" meme here). Seats were comfortable and supportive. Great braking abilities, tracked well. Almost no cowl shake or structural "noodling". Steering wheel was beefy...handled very well for usual street maneuvers...not expecting it to be a great canyon carver.

OFFROAD- I jumped off into a soccer field by Bolton Airport, and skated around (salesdood said it was cool). Holy shit...I admit I haven't off-roaded in forever, but the Jeep handled big mudholes and slippery grass/mud with aplomb. I was in 2WD and easily slid around the crappy surfaces. Suspension was very level and soaked up bumps with NO RATTLES and minimal shakes. VERY, VERY FUN. I had a smile I couldn't wipe off all the way back to the dealership, and I realized if I had a Jeep I would definitely look for reasons to drift in the snow or adventure off-road. It was a very confidence-inspiring powertrain.

ACCELERATION- The big thing for me in reading a lot of publications is the new 283hp 3.6L V6. While the Jeep I drove had only 8 miles on the odo and the shifter was pretty notchy, it sounded very nice and definitely got up to 60mph well. Acceleration didn't strain the Jeep; it didn't sound overly worked. More speed is always a good thing, but the power it had was plenty. This was a worry for me but I definitely came away feeling that acceleration is liveable.

INTERIOR- It's still plastic fantastic, but considering this is a 4-door, convertible, off-road, body-on-frame vehicle (and you HAVE to take that into consideration) the interior is nice to live with. Vents are nice, stereo is good, shifter is pretty low and the center console made my right arm angle funny at first, but I readjusted my shifting motions and got comfortable quickly. I realized after the Cruze and Versa that I hate cloth seats, but the Jeep was OK. Good back seat space, and the cargo area was really good. Thoughtful touches throughout the interior made me think this would be comfortable for years to come, with the top on or off.

QUALITY/VALUE- Considering all the roles this Jeep fills (trailering, off-road, seating for 4-5 comfortably, convertible) I can easily justify the $30k sticker. However, I do worry about QUALITY; I've heard some nightmares about Jeep problems. I don't feel that any Chrysler product will easily go 125k miles like a Honda or VW will. Am I wrong on this?

OVERALL- I went to the dealer to kick the tires, and I was pleasantly surprised with how fun to drive the relatively base Sport package was. The Sahara or Rubicon would definitely add more options and capability (I've built both online, and know the components to the Rubicon that you get for only a few thousand more) but I feel they would be better value long term than a cloth-interior, tiny-wheeled base model. More money? Sure, but more fun, comfort, and capability. When the dealer asked me what my dream Wrangler would be, I said the following:

*Black

*Leather, heated seats

*Bluetooth for phone

*Stick shift

He then came back after a quick search and said there was a black Sahara 500 miles from here. BUT, he did have a black Rubicon with leather and fully loaded right in the lot, 13 miles on the odo. I was hesitant to drive it (cuz I got my feel for the Wrangler Sport) but he assured me it was geared differently and would handle better. I took it for an on/off-road spin as I did with the Sport...

I FELL IN LOVE.

F**king NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE between the Rubicon and the Sport. The Katzkin heated leather seats were so soft and changed the appearance and feel of the entire interior. The meatier tires tracked INFINITELY better than the stock Sport tires. The clutch engagement and powertrain delivery was less herky-jerky and waaaay smoother. The upgraded SAT/NAV stereo with subwoofer blasted and sounded excellent. I had a sh!t-eating grin back to the dealership.

Aside from the CTS-V, THIS IS A VEHICLE I WOULD BUY TOMORROW. It really was that good. I could go on about the merits of the Wrangler Rubicon, but suffice to say I am truly in love with it.

Unfortunately, there is NO FACKING WAY I would pay $37k for the Jeep of my dreams. BUT...maybe things will change, and at least I will keep an eagle-eye on plans for a diesel Wrangle Rubicon: definitely a unicorn I would mortgage my house to buy brand new. :)

F**king NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE between the Rubicon and the Sport. The Katzkin heated leather seats were so soft and changed the appearance and feel of the entire interior. The meatier tires tracked INFINITELY better than the stock Sport tires. The clutch engagement and powertrain delivery was less herky-jerky and waaaay smoother. The upgraded SAT/NAV stereo with subwoofer blasted and sounded excellent. I had a sh!t-eating grin back to the dealership.

Today you can buy a 37K wrangler with heated seats and nav... :nono: Does it even have a solid front axle anymore? R.I.P. Jeep

Just an FYI, the ball joints are trash. Seen quite a few that need them replaced with less than 40K on the clock. They made a great change for the 2012 JK's, which is what was needed. Besides the ball joint issue, the 2012 is a much better Jeep than the 07-11's were. If you're wondering, a 2.5" lift will clear 35's all day long. Thanks to the new motor, no need to run 4.88's or 5.13's to get it to move. I'd hold out for a diesel Grand Cherokee.....IF it actually is produced.

I drove an unlimited on our honeymoon when the 4-doors first came out and at first I was a little pissed. But other than looking like shit, it was a lot of fun to drive. Diesel would be a lot more enticing if they take that direction.

Other guys cheat on their wives...I had a spat of secret test-drives over the last year. :)

At this point I am not going to seriously look at a Passat replacement until either 2016, or if it chunks the engine or transmission...whichever comes first.

I posted a review in a thread about a 2011 Wrangler. Minus the engine it sounds about the same. Daily driving a wrangler would be great if you never have to drive on a paved road. I rather drive a truck then a jeep, and by truck I mean a long bed with only 2 doors. But buy what makes you feel happy :)

i had an '04 Wrangler X with the 6-cylinder. i loved driving that thing. i didn't mind the ride at all. i drove it down to North Carolina several times while i had it. loved that thing, wish i never sold it. i can imagine the ride on the new ones have only gotten better.

Great review, every time I see one it is one of two scenarios. Wow, looks like a POS, or if it has the bigger tires and a decent stance it turns into more of a "nice ride" opinion. Overall I have come to the conclusion that it needs big tires and aggressive stance to be attractive to me, however that is not conducive to a daily commuter.