Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Kansas State is going to lose at some point, I have to think. Same with Notre Dame.

Stupid fucking LSU will vault themselves way up with a win over Bama. Note, they play this year at LSU.

Poor Oregon is either getting shut out or they get to be the sacrificial lamb.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SEC is gonna be interesting, you have 6 teams right now in contention for be in the conference championship game:

East:

6-0 Florida

6-1 South Carolina

5-1 UGA

West:

6-0 Alabama

6-0 Mississippi St (WTF)

6-1 LSU

Most of these teams still play one another, starting this weekend where Florida/South Carolina face off. If UGA can beat Florida then they have the best chance of running the table in the East.

Florida has key games against: South Carolina, UGA, Missiouri and Florida St

South Carolina has: Florida and Clemson

UGA has: Florida

In the West you have Alabama, LSU and Mississippi St as I mentioned.

Alabama has: Mississippi St, LSU, Texas A&M

LSU has: Alabama, Texas A&M and Mississippi St

Mississippi St has: Bama, LSU and Texas A&M

I think Bama comes out of that 2-1

LSU: 3-0

Missippi St: 1-2 at best (win against A&M)

Florida: 2-2

S. Carolina: 2-0

UGA: 0-1

That would give you a South Carolina vs LSU rematch in the conference game. LSU wins that, Bama doesnt drop too far due to barely losing to LSU and other teams in front of them losing, Kansas St and Notre Dame, setting up the SEC vs SEC National Championship game part deux as Tilley mentioned.

A team that could get right back into the mix should they 1. Win out and 2. All teams ahead of them lose is Oklahoma

i say they should bump it out to 8 or 16, that way no one is butthurt. actually no one outside of the top 8 should be able to say they are a theoretical top 1 or 2 anyway. i would be happy with a top 8, it would provide a good cross section of the country, and the best team would emerge via the playoff.

i hate how subjective it has become. why are they undermining the concept of a tournament?

Top 8 is ok but you will still have a 9 and 10 team bitching cause they have the same record as the #8 team. I think it should be conference champions and then 2 or 4 wild cards. Its a step in the right direction, although I don't feel the BCS has gotten it wrong really, I feel that the best team has won the championship every year.

No matter what format they go with there will still be someone bitching that they didnt get their chance.

Florida and Alabama will play each other if they remain undefeated.

How far does either of those teams drop in the polls with a defeat in SEC CG? I wouldn't think all that far, really. Maybe not even far enough to move the loser below #2 in BCS.

Are we on course for another all-SEC NCG? Fucking hand me the Clorox...

It is a very good possibility.

A single loss for the following teams will probably knock them out of NC contentions

Oregon has to play @ usc and oregon st

Kansas has a brutal schedule comming up

ND has to play @ OU and USC

Oklahoma has to plat @TCU, WV, and Iowa State(I'm calling the Iowa State upset right now)

Oregon State really hasn't played anyone tough will probably lose to stanford and USC.

It could be Florida vs Alabama in the NCG but I don't think Florida will be in the NCG if they lose to Alabama in the SEC championship game. Florida would have to lose to SC @ home and win out the rest of the season. SC will win out and face Alabama in the SEC Champ game. Alamaba wins and will face Florida in the NCG.

Top 8 is ok but you will still have a 9 and 10 team bitching cause they have the same record as the #8 team. I think it should be conference champions and then 2 or 4 wild cards. Its a step in the right direction, although I don't feel the BCS has gotten it wrong really, I feel that the best team has won the championship every year.

No matter what format they go with there will still be someone bitching that they didnt get their chance.

ok, then bump it out to top 16. if theres not enough time, cut out all the cupcake games at the beginning of the yr and go straight to conference play, then the last few games of the yr would be tournament play.

Yeap!!

I think Top 8 or 10 teams is the best format. The rest of them can bitch all they want, but they had all season to get to the top 8 or top 10. If they had the same record as other teams, they should have have more impressive wins or played a harder schedule. I don't think any team ranked below 10 should even have a shot at the national championship game.

here is how I think it should go.

Wild card games are 10 vs 7 and 8 vs 9 before christmas.

The tourny will play on New Years Weekend. Semi finals the week after and the NCG 2 weeks after.

An 8 team playoff works best. Gabe already said it - teams that are at 9 and 10 can't bitch too much as clearly they aren't frontrunners. A 16-team playoff? Uh, how about no. There's no way I'm letting a #15 ranked team into a playoff. They could go 7-5 and win the NC. Fuck that. The season has to count for something.

WTF?

2008 USC begs to differ.

And so does 1998 Ohio State.

The same 98 OSU team that lost to Michigan St at home?!! I remember that year as I felt at the time it was the best OSU team I had ever saw. Especially the defense, the back 7 they had was insane. The db unit was arguabley the best ever fielded at OSU plus they had some guy clogging the middle named Andy Katzenmoyer. Granted I was 13 going on 14 haha. Thats the same year Tennesee was undefeated and played a loaded Florida St team. So yes I would venture to say they got it right that year.

2008 USC lost to Oregon St, a typical game they should've won but always seemed to lose during that era haha. They could argue that they were better than Florida who also lost a gimme game that year, however Florida proceeded to go to the championship game and beat undefeated Oklahoma.

Now if you want to talk about maybe 1 year where they got it wrong is the year Auburn was left out.

Edit: Damn you Tilley, now I am searching youtube for videos of that 98 team. God they really were loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. I still remember Dee Miller slipping on his break and the ball just falling incomplete.

The same 98 OSU team that lost to Michigan St at home?!! I remember that year as I felt at the time it was the best OSU team I had ever saw. Especially the defense, the back 7 they had was insane. The db unit was arguabley the best ever fielded at OSU plus they had some guy clogging the middle named Andy Katzenmoyer. Granted I was 13 going on 14 haha. Thats the same year Tennesee was undefeated and played a loaded Florida St team. So yes I would venture to say they got it right that year.

2008 USC lost to Oregon St, a typical game they should've won but always seemed to lose during that era haha. They could argue that they were better than Florida who also lost a gimme game that year, however Florida proceeded to go to the championship game and beat undefeated Oklahoma.

Now if you want to talk about maybe 1 year where they got it wrong is the year Auburn was left out.

Edit: Damn you Tilley, now I am searching youtube for videos of that 98 team. God they really were loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. I still remember Dee Miller slipping on his break and the ball just falling incomplete.

The answer is no, they didn't get it right either year. 2008 USC would have waxed Florida or Oklahoma, and 1998 Ohio State would have curbstomped Tennessee or Florida State. You could argue that I'm incorrect, but you'd be wrong. Now get back to watching YouTube videos and if you say anything more about the BCS "getting it right" I'm going to lobby to have your screenname changed to Josh the Communist.

A 4 team playoff is fine. You don't have to cut the season short and it gives everyone a chance. If you're a major conference team, don't lose and you'll be in the mix. If you lose, well you leave it up to the polls to determine your fate which is only your fault. My only worry is that 3 of the 4 teams will be SEC teams every year the way they inflate the pre-season polls.

Lmfao I am done watching videos, I don't think that OSU team would've beaten Florida State. They might have held their own against Tennesee but damn FSU was pretty beasty that year with Peter Warrick.

4 team isn't fine, its too small of a grouping. Look at every other sort of playoff, none of them are 4 team playoffs. Baseball was but they just added extra teams, so now its 10 teams fighting to win the WS. 8 is ok, but really 10 is much better.

Pac 12

Big 12

Big 10

ACC

SEC

Big East

That right there is 6 conferences, so 2 conference champions are left out instantly, then you throw in the independants like ND or teams like Boise when they are 13-0 and you have an issue. Not to mention leaving out a lot of 1 loss teams who werent their conference champion. Again its a flawed setup but a step in the right direction if a playoff is what you want to see.

Lmfao I am done watching videos, I don't think that OSU team would've beaten Florida State. They might have held their own against Tennesee but damn FSU was pretty beasty that year with Peter Warrick.

4 team isn't fine, its too small of a grouping. Look at every other sort of playoff, none of them are 4 team playoffs. 8 is ok, but really 8 is much better.

Pac 12

Big 12

Big 10

ACC

SEC

Big East

That right there is 6 conferences, so 2 conference champions are left out instantly, then you throw in the independants like ND or teams like Boise when they are 13-0 and you have an issue. Not to mention leaving out a lot of 1 loss teams who werent their conference champion. Again its a flawed setup but a step in the right direction if a playoff is what you want to see.

So your theory is the winner of each conference gets a spot in the playoffs??? plus 2 more at large bids?

Yes exactly. You do all the conference champions since they have eared it and then do wild card spots to teams like ND, Boise St or a 1 loss 2nd place team like say Alabama last year or Michigan in 06. They could do 10 teams while keeping the 4 major bowl games in tact, hell actually it would add a couple more with semi finals and then the final game.

1/4 final games:

Rose

Sugar

Fiesta

Orange

Semi Finals:

Cotton Bowl

Game in Indiana at Lucas Stadium

National Championship game could rotate to one of the 6 previously mentioned locations or somewhere completely new. Thats an 8 team setup obviously but could work with more teams too

Well that already happened...sort of. Next year the 4 team playoff starts which I still think is going to be a disaster as there will be a lot of teams bitching that they deserve to be 1 of the 4.

4 team playoff starts in 2014.

And we've had all this discussion before. I think 4 is perfectly fine. And I think they're probably happy with that and expecting the 4 superconferences in the future.

I think its funny what he said about Desmond aside from the dying part. I can't stand either of them but really dislike Desmond Howard.

I dont see the 4 super conferences happening. I think expansion has run its course, not that I dont think teams will move conferences, I just dont think it'll come down to 4 super conferences. Too much $$$ involved for schools to agree to share it with 15 others or whatever the conferences would end up being

Award for coolest uniform this season goes to Boise St: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/boise-state-wins-award-best-black-helmet-photos-162103743--ncaaf.html

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing