Official 2012 Football thread

DaddyBuiltRacing

Cinci is a quality school education wise. There sports programs are not consistently at major conference level, hence why major conferences avoid them. If the school would be at Boise State level football wise or have the fanbase of BYU, then the stadium size would be easily overlooked.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cinci is a quality school education wise. There sports programs are not consistently at major conference level, hence why major conferences avoid them. If the school would be at Boise State level football wise or have the fanbase of BYU, then the stadium size would be easily overlooked.

What great insight into education qualities they offer. hehe (jfwy)

I will completely argue to say sports programs overall are not consistently at a major level...

You CAN say that the FOOTBALL program does not have much HISTORY at a major level... but once they dedicated the program, it has been VERY competitive for nearly the last decade.

Basketball, I wholeheartedly disagree. UC has a VERY proud basketball program and history. They have gone to the NCAA tournament 26 times, 16 of the last 20 years, 13 times making at least the sweet 16 and 2 national championships. To bring that relative to OSU, OSU has 2 more tourney appearances at 28, 1 more sweet 16 at 14, and one NC.

UC is one of two things.... The highest tier of Mid Majors or the lowest tier of the BCS qualifying teams. So much riding on their future....If they stay in the Big Easy, they will be one of the top tier mid majors until they leave and when that happens they will be the lowest tier of the BCS qualifying with the potential to be one of the mid level football programs.

I think booster money is where UC falls short of getting an invite to the ACC or B12 right now. UC is a better school than UL and just as good of an athletic program. The ACC really wanted some academics, but UL has the booster support where they can jump when told to. UC doesn't really have that.

UC is one of two things.... The highest tier of Mid Majors or the lowest tier of the BCS qualifying teams. So much riding on their future....If they stay in the Big Easy, they will be one of the top tier mid majors until they leave and when that happens they will be the lowest tier of the BCS qualifying with the potential to be one of the mid level football programs.

completely agreed. And there is a lot more money and attention involved in being in the low-mid teir of an AQ conference.

UNC just announced their commitment to the ACC.... As well as Virginia... though you might still be able to get VT?

And Jim Delaney said recently that the B1G wasn't looking to expand. We'll see what happens. Like I said, the shit changes every 14 seconds. Probably be looking at Kansas and Boston College next or something ridiculous.

Also, OSU having a little celebration on December 7th to honor the undefeated football team. Nice of them to schedule that right during a big visit weekend ;).

And Jim Delaney said recently that the B1G wasn't looking to expand. We'll see what happens. Like I said, the shit changes every 14 seconds. Probably be looking at Kansas and Boston College next or something ridiculous.

Also, OSU having a little celebration on December 7th to honor the undefeated football team. Nice of them to schedule that right during a big visit weekend ;).

Delany is also a former star Bball player at UNC. I'm sure any talks with UNC are more backroom than anything else to this point. He has access to the boosters and so on with UNC. Honestly, I think if Delany wants UNC, he gets them.

(He is also on the UNC alumni association board of directors)

Les Miles given 7 year extension at LSU, guess that puts an end to the "Les Miles to Arkansas" rumors. I wonder what LSU is paying him, Arkansas offerd 27.5 million!

That's only slightly more than he was making at LSU. I bet LSU offered him 4 million a year at least.

I dont know what the length of the contract from Arkansas was, might have been more per year.

Honey Badger just announced he is enteringthe NFL draft. He honestly has top 10 talent, I think he goes mid to late 1st due to the pot issues and makse someone very happy.

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

Are you high? The kid is a fucking ball hawking stud who has a knack for making plays and is a beast on special teams. Before the suspension many had him penciled in as top 10 if not top 5 level talent. Those unknowns you speak of will be known as soon as workouts for teams begin. Teams take chances on players all the time, I think someone takes a chance with him in the 1st round.

If this kid drops to the 3rd or 4th round then someone just stole the draft when they select him. Off the field issues, yeah i'll give you that, but what he does on the field is nothing short of amazing.

Mathieu is awful in man coverage and is way too small to play safety. Too small to match up with big receivers on the outside. Most likely he will end up on a team that will use him as an inside nickel corner or the robber.

Are you high? The kid is a fucking ball hawking stud who has a knack for making plays and is a beast on special teams. Before the suspension many had him penciled in as top 10 if not top 5 level talent. Those unknowns you speak of will be known as soon as workouts for teams begin. Teams take chances on players all the time, I think someone takes a chance with him in the 1st round.

If this kid drops to the 3rd or 4th round then someone just stole the draft when they select him. Off the field issues, yeah i'll give you that, but what he does on the field is nothing short of amazing.

I agree with your that he is a very talented football player. He is reckless, cocky, and lacks discipline. He is also undersized for a CB. He might be able to prove that size doesn't matter because he is much more talented than most players at the college level. It would be a different story in the NFL. And he would be a pretty big risk for any NFL team on a first or second round draft pick.

That happens... look at Burfict.... and luckily, he ended up being great.

Antoine Winfield says hello...sure he's not 6ft tall but he did pretty well defending bigger WR's while at LSU. If I am a team in the mid to late 1st round and need a DB, I take him plain and simple. If he is available in the 3rd or 4th round then as I said someone is getting a steal! I would love to see him on the Browns

Antoine Winfield says hello...sure he's not 6ft tall but he did pretty well defending bigger WR's while at LSU. If I am a team in the mid to late 1st round and need a DB, I take him plain and simple. If he is available in the 3rd or 4th round then as I said someone is getting a steal! I would love to see him on the Browns

Winfield is faster and much better in coverage than Mathieu. LSU mainly used Mathieu as a linebacker/db hybrid.

Browns, LOL

Its painful lol.

"Mathieu's play on the field was good enough that NFL teams would have overlooked or downplayed his previous failed drug tests if he could stay clean. A late first-round grade is where Mathieu was placed when evaluating the 2013 NFL draft class, and one NFL scout told me, "If Tim Tebow can go first round, Mathieu could go top-10." "- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1293251-lsu-dismisses-tyrann-mathieu-how-his-2013-draft-stock-is-affected

Like I said, many felt he was top 10 before his suspension, after his workouts I would not be suprised one bit to see him still go in the 1st round.

Zack what is Nevada's count for this class? Someone posted on scout that there is only 3 spots currently left so the staff must be preparing for some early departures and transfers or some of the kids still left on the board arent coming. Rumors swirling abou Hyde possibly leaving early, coming off a great season, imagine his stats had he not missed 3 games and shared so many carries with Braxton. I think if he gets word back that he is 3rd round or higher he is gone and I wouldn't blame him. The average career of an NFL player is short, even more so for running backs.

Antonie Winfield was a pure corner back, he was way more talented in the CB position than Mathieu. Mathieu is not a pure CB, that's why the years he was at LSU, he was never the best CB on the team and never defended the best WR on the opposing team. Mathieu is position-less defensive playmaker as some would call him. He is too small to play a safty, doesn't have the coverage abilities to play as a every down CB. He has the vision and reaction abilities of a great linebacker but he is way to small to be even be considered. He also didn't play his junior year and who knows what he has been doing in his off year.

John Cooper said Antoine Winfield was the best athlete he ever coached. Ever. And Cooper coached a shit-ton of awesome athletes, including Eddie George, Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn, Shawn Springs, and Andy Katzenmoyer.

Didnt Urban say Braxton was the best athlete he's ever coached and told Sharriff Floyd that he would die for him? Coaches say a lot of shit lol.

Zack what is Nevada's count for this class? Someone posted on scout that there is only 3 spots currently left so the staff must be preparing for some early departures and transfers or some of the kids still left on the board arent coming. Rumors swirling abou Hyde possibly leaving early, coming off a great season, imagine his stats had he not missed 3 games and shared so many carries with Braxton. I think if he gets word back that he is 3rd round or higher he is gone and I wouldn't blame him. The average career of an NFL player is short, even more so for running backs.

Hope hyde doesn't leave early, but if he does, lets hope rod smith learns to hold on to the ball. I think Rod Smith is a better running back than hyde, but tends to have a case of the fumblitis. I'm just concerned that Barnett and Roby will leave early. If they do, the young talented DBs we have coming in better learn the defense fast.