steel tubing strength/what size do i need

evan9381

So ive decided to ditch my idea for a rooftop bike carrier, mainly because im not comfortable using cheap $40 universal bars to carry my bike + possibly 1-2 others, and im not spending $400 for a car specific carrier

So ive found a class 1 hitch for cheap, but i can only find it with a 1 1/4" receiver.

I plan on making my own carrier, ive got fork mounts, and i can get square steel tubing cheap...the only wall thickness the place has is 11ga (.120"). Planning on having a ~36" or so piece coming out of the hitch, and a frame approximately 28"x40", most likely from the same size tubing. All together, i would hope this carrier would weigh less than 50 pounds. Carrying 2 bikes add another 40 or so.

So should .120" thickness 1 1/4" steel tube be sufficient enough for the main 36" support post for this whole thing, to where i shouldnt be concerned it will warp/bend hitting bumps and such? The other option i have is to get a solid square 1.25" rod, which the guy said would be much heavier, comes with VERY square corners (might be issue if hitch has rounded corners) and to drill the hitch pin hole, it might be weeks (i guess theyre way behind...said might be able to get it in between jobs, but also may not).

Thanks

Theyre not expensive, they normally just sit higher than i would want, and the one im making, with the fork mount, i can clamp down the front fork, throw a pad lock on it and it will be secured and i can not have to worry about it getting stolen

How much is a trailer hitch bike carrier that carries several bikes. I have one up in the attic I would probably let go.

Cheap. Mine was $30 and tilts away as well and is 1 &1/4" but came with an adapter for a 2". It also has welded gussets at the base that I put my bike lock through and then through the frame on my bike to lock/secure it.

Evan, I think you're complicating things a bit.

im not complicating things at all, i can build exactly what i want for cheap, i already have the expensive parts ($32) i've gotten for free from my dad who is no longer using them. the tubing i need is $1.78 per foot (need ~18 feet), and $2.25 per cut (6 cuts). a friend i finally got ahold of can weld it all together for me for a few bucks, and i have exactly what i want for under $50.

it not like i didnt look at all the options. to buy what i want to build, it'd be a couple hundred bucks.

i dont want a hang on rack...an answer on my question would be fantastic though if anyone knows. lol

I usually use google to find answers like that. Not being a dick, if I knew I'd tell ya.

I'd guess that a specific gauge might be perfect for the task, but engineering bends and supports in the correct positions would allow for thinner material to do the same job.

i checked google...maybe im not searching the right terms...theres nothing showing at what weight a piece of steel tubing may bend...idk...i think im just gonna go for it, hopefully at < ~100lbs i wont need to worry about it bending...i guess if it does, im only out $40 and can just cut the frame off and switch to a solid steel piece down the road and weld the frame onto that.

As for security, don't forget to use a locking hitch pin. I see people all the time who have the lock on the hitchball itself of their trailer, but then just a cotter pin on the receiver pin.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YDGMFT0PL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Valley-75730-Locking-Hitch-Pin/dp/B000BOB8ZQ

yeah, i planned on getting one...otherwise someone can just run up and throw both bikes in their truck bed and drive off. lol.

i ordered the hitch today, it should be here in a few days and i'll get it in...maybe i'll just get a piece of the tube and see how it handles a good portion of my weight.

unless "great price" falls under $100, i'll pass. lol.

maybe once i get a new car i'll drop some coin on a nice vehicle specific system, but no exaggeration, my new bike is probably worth more than my car. and since i hope not to have it long, i dont want to buy something expensive for it.

unless "great price" falls under $100, i'll pass. lol.

maybe once i get a new car i'll drop some coin on a nice vehicle specific system, but no exaggeration, my new bike is probably worth more than my car. and since i hope not to have it long, i dont want to buy something expensive for it.

Isn't a lot of the $$$ of a roof rack system wrapped up in the rails and what you put on it; bike mounts, ski mounts, etc.

Then when you get a car, you get a new set of feet for <$100 (retail)?

Thinking about this a little bit I came to realize the most stress is going to be on the tube running into the receiver hitch. Use something heavy gauge for that section and the rest should be fine.

Thinking about this a little bit I came to realize the most stress is going to be on the tube running into the receiver hitch. Use something heavy gauge for that section and the rest should be fine.

Exactly. Do you think .120" is enough? My roommate has a cargo carrier for her jeep, its 2" receiver but the square tube for the piece going into the receiver is about 3.5mm thick (as close as i could measure), which comes up to like .13x i believe. Im not sure what the weight capacity on it is, but i would venture to say it should be decent if its made for cargo