Lettuce talk about Quads / ATV's

Tshensley

I've been really leaning towards buying a used atv and I really like the yamaha raptor. I've sat on the YFZ450 and felt like I was sitting on the ground, but yet on the raptor it felt like a good height. (I'm 6'4)

From what I've found I want to spend $2500 for a raptor 700. Although the raptor 660, I would be ok with spending anywhere from $1000-1500. I would not be against something that needs work either.

What is the opinions on these models and what to look for problem wise?

I've got a 450 and a 660. I prefer my 450 when I am riding aggressively or hill climbing. When putting around on the trails the 660 is nice. You can ride all day in second gear. On the 450 you are shifting constantly in the woods. For a taller guy you prob would feel better on a raptor. If you can afford it, buy the 700. The fuel injection and power is great. Some people worry about earlier 660s in regards to oiling and crank issues but if you can find one for 1500 who cares. My 01 is perfectly fine. I would be more worried about one idling and running good and that it has decent tires on it.

I personally don't see the point in riding racing quads through the woods. If you were playing in the sand dunes of California then by all means get a raptor 700 and tear it up but in Ohio something geared a little lower with 4x4 makes more sense.

I personally don't see the point in riding racing quads through the woods. If you were playing in the sand dunes of California then by all means get a raptor 700 and tear it up but in Ohio something geared a little lower with 4x4 makes more sense.

trust me, its way more fun hauling ass on a sport quad that weighs half as much as a 4x4 700 Grizzly.

I have a banshee w about 70hp. With the monoblock cyl and head and a 69mm piston he said about 78 to 80hp. And all I do is trail ride and climb hills.wife rides a 300ex and were doing it up allpink meijer custom plastics. Custom seat cover and shocks.

This. I have one love it. The banshee or any other 2 stroke quad you will regret if you are doing woods riding.

Yea if you don't know how to ride.. :jerkit:

I've had multiple banshees even one here in ohio was fine on the trails hauled ass and had no issues on the trails. If u know what your doing then your good.

Oh and banshee is king for drag and hill climbs get someeee

Ide recommend a raptop though for the lazy riders :lol: youde be hard pressed to find a decent 700 raptop for 2500 though.

I've had multiple banshees even one here in ohio was fine on the trails hauled ass and had no issues on the trails. If u know what your doing then your good.

Ide recommend a raptop though for the lazy riders :lol: youde be hard pressed to find a decent 700 raptop for 2500 though.

I've been watching CG for the past few weeks and seen a few different ones listing them for $2500-3000. I can't see myself spending that much more for a used quad

trust me, its way more fun hauling ass on a sport quad that weighs half as much as a 4x4 700 Grizzly.

This.

It depends a little on how you want to ride. If you want to play in mud holes by all means get a 4x4, but for those that like speed and catching a little air nothing beats a sport quad. I miss my old 400ex about this time of the year because it was so much fun to blast around the woods.

If you want a dead reliable simple machine the 400ex is an awesome choice, but there are better things out there. My dad bought one right after I did and hardly rode it if you're interested in buying an older mint condition quad. I had no issues beating the shit out of mine for 5-6 seasons before I sold it.

Right. 2 stroke's are stupid for trail riding unless you are going to be absolutely destroying the trails 100% of the time. Oh and have fun with the kick start.

Banshee's are plenty of fun....for drag (oh yeah epitome of fun on an ATV) and Hill Climbs (are you the guy that sits at the same set of climbs just going up them for 4 hours?)

Not trying to hate but its clear that the original poster might have different needs than you, or I, or both of us.

Right. 2 stroke's are stupid for trail riding unless you are going to be absolutely destroying the trails 100% of the time. Oh and have fun with the kick start.

Banshee's are plenty of fun....for drag (oh yeah epitome of fun on an ATV) and Hill Climbs (are you the guy that sits at the same set of climbs just going up them for 4 hours?)

Not trying to hate but its clear that the original poster might have different needs than you, or I, or both of us.

Do I spend my time hill climing heck yea. But I also spend more time screaming thrw the traims braaaappppp. And please if you take care of your stuff it'll start first kick everytime when warm. Hell on my stroker motor bansheee fired right up 3rd kick when cold. Dang u sure do sound lazy lol sounds like u need a big auto 4x4

Two strokes urn heads, rip threw everything and are king shit. 4 strokes how cute.... paul out!

Do I spend my time hill climing heck yea. But I also spend more time screaming thrw the traims braaaappppp. And please if you take care of your stuff it'll start first kick everytime when warm. Hell on my stroker motor bansheee fired right up 3rd kick when cold. Dang u sure do sound lazy lol sounds like u need a big auto 4x4

Two strokes urn heads, rip threw everything and are king shit. 4 strokes how cute.... paul out!

get over it Paul.

4 strokes make great trail bikes because of the low end grunt, this is why there aren't many 2 strokes made anymore. I'll admit they are fun, but cannot be putted around on or they will foul plugs and run like crap.

Raptor 660's are fun. But after riding on many trails In Ohio there are few state parks that have wide open spaces to wind it out.

I like my 700 utility quad because it has some good get up and go, and 4x4 to get me through the mud.

You'll find on a lot of trails you have to get through mud and water somehow. And when your stuck, you have to get down in it and lift the thing up.

Not to mention you get covered in mud with no fairings. But that's just me. I've been riding dirt bikes my whole life and love riding my 700 king quad. Fuel injected FTMFW

get over it Paul.

4 strokes make great trail bikes because of the low end grunt, this is why there aren't many 2 strokes made anymore. I'll admit they are fun, but cannot be putted around on or they will foul plugs and run like crap.

Boowho wahh

If your lazy then go 4 stroke, if u wanna have fun and well..be mr awesome go two stroke. Hell ide even go on alimb and say get a old honda 250 4 wheeler if u want something that handles well and has power

I've had tons of quads...my 450to was better for trails than my banshee.

Fucking banshee would always foul plugs...and it wasn't modded (100% stock )

Well if you didn't ride like a bitch...

I owned a banshee years ago. Scary fast, would climb anything you had the nerve to try. Kept up with the normal maintenance and never had a problem. Do I want another one ? Yes. I never had anyone to ride with so I lost interest and sold it.

I owned a banshee years ago. Scary fast, would climb anything you had the nerve to try. Kept up with the normal maintenance and never had a problem. Do I want another one ? Yes. I never had anyone to ride with so I lost interest and sold it.

finally some one with some man pants on, :fuckyeah:

The 4x4's don't seem to bad of an option but they are holding value a lot stronger it seems. I know that's a good thing but I'm looking to get into a cheap quad at first and upgrade later. I've heard the banshee is flat out fast but I would like a 4 stroke for the maintenance side.