What is the quintessential AMERICAN potato chip?

KillJoy

On a srs note, I would go with the brown bag mike sells with the carriage on the front. Been eatin them shits since I was a wee lad.

On another note, I ate a bag of conns salt and vinegar today. Ever eat so many of those that your tongue goes numb? Last time I did it, my tongue started peeling 2 days later.

Has to be Lay's classic. A lot of the others being mentioned are just regional brands. When I eat Grippo's BBQ it's like feeding a crack addiction. However, they are regional. I prefer Ballreich's for plain potato chips.

Could make a good argument for Pringles. Quintessentially American with it being processed beyond belief into something vaguely resembling the real product.

When I think " quintessential AMERICAN " I think of something available all over America. As Furloaf mentioned, Grippos, Mike Sells, Cons and many others are regional. I grew up in Calli and had never heard of any of those till I moved to Ohio. I would have to say Original Ruffles would be right up there on top of the list.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/Walkerslogo.png/180px-Walkerslogo.png

Pringles or Lays. It's definitely what other countries would think of. Doritos could be on the list too. Personally, I'm not a big doritos fan.

Mike-sells for me, they are pretty close to national now. I remember when they shipped in tins, long before the paper and then plastic bags...

Locally, SHEARER'S!

Kettle makes some good chips too, I like their Salt & Pepper.

Sterzing out of Iowa is a good regional chip.

Mike-sells for me, they are pretty close to national now. I remember when they shipped in tins, long before the paper and then plastic bags...

Locally, SHEARER'S!

Kettle makes some good chips too, I like their Salt & Pepper.

Sterzing out of Iowa is a good regional chip.

shearers makes our kettle chips at frito-lay

i no longer have a favorite chip, after two years of selling for frito-lay, i am tired of chips lol, i only really eat the new flavors to try them out

Im going to say Fritos.

Even though theyre not the oldest brand or classic design, but they had to prove in federal court that they are a chips as Lays and other potato chip companies said they were misleading the american public by calling their product a chip.

So Fritos to me represent America in the idea of due process, captalism, etc.

from wiki:

n the 20th century, potato chips spread beyond chef-cooked restaurant fare and began to be mass produced for home consumption. The Dayton, Ohio-based Mike-sell's Potato Chip Company, founded in 1910, calls itself the "oldest potato chip company in the United States".[5] New England-based Tri-Sum Potato Chips, originally founded in 1908 as the Leominster Potato Chip Company, in Leominster, Massachusetts claim to be America's first potato chip manufacturer.[6] Chips sold in markets were usually sold in tins or scooped out of storefront glass bins and delivered by horse and wagon. The early potato chip bag was wax paper with the ends ironed or stapled together. At first, potato chips were packaged in barrels or tins, which left chips at the bottom stale and crumbled. Laura Scudder,[7] an entrepreneur in Monterey Park, California started having her workers take home sheets of wax paper to iron into the form of bags, which were filled with chips at her factory the next day. This pioneering method reduced crumbling and kept the chips fresh and crisp longer. This innovation, along with the invention of cellophane, allowed potato chips to become a mass market product. Today, chips are packaged in plastic bags, with nitrogen gas blown in prior to sealing to lengthen shelf life, and provide protection against crushing.[8]

"Quintesential American" immediatly strikes up the Frito-Lay company in my mind, pretty much sums up "American", big company lots of different products. So the Classic Lay's potato chips is the bag that comes to mind.

Personally I'd rather eat about anything else, Grippos, Snider's, Fritos, or Doritos, not in that order.