Are you scared of miles?

wnaplay1647545503

Been looking for a newer used car in better condition as ours are getting older and were well used when we bought them. Everything we are looking at seems to have high miles. We looked at an 04 suv today with 240kmiles and they were asking $12k. It was in near mint condition but that seems like alot to me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not pay that kind of money for a car with that amount of miles. I would be hard pressed to buy anything with much over 100K.

I picked up my G35x with 52000 miles for 15K out the door.

other then the engine things to think about:

Suspension: If this needs redone ~1k

Transmission: Maint 200$ Replacement ?????$

Exhaust: rusted / cats clogged 200-600$

o2 sensors : 100-400$

I would keep looking to find something with fearless miles

Depends on vehicle and engine combination. I would do some in depth checks if I was considering buying something like that, compression, pull a valve cover (if easy enough), stuff like that to try and get a better idea then just looking.

although $12k is alot for anything over 200k miles.

Yes and No. My car has 74,000 miles and it is in fantastic condition, and I have no reason to believe it will not be good to go for another 74,000. However, not everyone who owns a car takes care it. As a result, I am leary of looking at any car that is over 60-70k.

Depends on the vehicle for sure. I bought my Jeep with 115k but that's just broken in on an engine known to run into the 250k+ range with minor maintenance. $12,000 seems like alot of money for a quarter million miles though, regardless of what tr vehicle is.

04 yukon denali, like I said, near mint condition from what I can see. I would be paying cash for it and up until now I havent payed more than $600 for a car in over 15 years(that I recall). We really are looking for a Denali between 04-06 but they are really hard to find not beat to hell with alot of miles. We are trying to stear clear of the xl model which is easier to find but even then they are beat. This is a one owner trade-in traded for a new denali.

I mean our LGT wagon's were purchased at 175K and 192K respectively. Seems like a lot of miles, I mean what do other '04 X vehicles go for? I think it would be worth spending a couple extra grand for a vehicle with half the miles.

My wifes odyssey had over 200k+ miles as did my bravada but they were so cheap I could get double in scrap if they broke down after I bought them. I've had the bravada for 5 years now with no major issue and hers for 3.

The denali is already priced higher than I want to spend but its so damn clean that if it werent for the mileage it would be in the driveway right now.

04 yukon denali, like I said, near mint condition from what I can see. I would be paying cash for it and up until now I havent payed more than $600 for a car in over 15 years(that I recall). We really are looking for a Denali between 04-06 but they are really hard to find not beat to hell with alot of miles. We are trying to stear clear of the xl model which is easier to find but even then they are beat. This is a one owner trade-in traded for a new denali.

Fuck that, I wouldn't consider it unless it had either half the miles or half the price. I've seen some high mileage ones in decent shape, but they are far from mint when you look harder.

My wifes odyssey had over 200k+ miles as did my bravada but they were so cheap I could get double in scrap if they broke down after I bought them. I've had the bravada for 5 years now with no major issue and hers for 3.

The denali is already priced higher than I want to spend but its so damn clean that if it werent for the mileage it would be in the driveway right now.

The Odyssey I can see, but you've just had damn good luck with the Bravada.

I would get this

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103630

before looking getting that one.

Seen it/thought about it, but we always said the next car we buy will actually be one that we really like including having the color we want. I am not a fan of the escalades until they switched to the newer body style. We have gone years always buying the vehicle that was the safe choice, so cheap that I could get my money back even if something major went wrong. Its a good thing too because if I had a car payment when I was hurt I would have been fucked. I was literally a month away from buying a new vette(cash) when I was injured and I went without on the car front for years just to buy the car I really wanted. Now that it has been stripped from me, always having the cheap car doesnt seem as appealing.

I don't know what a denali will give you over a fully loaded suburban, but my dad sold his 04 loaded suburban, rear dvd, the whole 9, etc w/ 130k on it for $7500. Sure he really didn't advertise and didn't need anything out of it, but you have got to be crazy for even considering paying that much money for a vehicle like that. I'm sorry but a simple cars.com search would show you that.

Based on what others are going for in the area(I have even searched search tempest, ebay, auto trader and considered flying to texas for one) the price is fair market for its condition, maybe even lower that it should be. The miles are whats killing it. There is definately a difference in looks between a suburban and a denali.

Afraid ? Not really. Will I pay money for anything with that high of a mileage ? Hell no.

What about a 2012 c6 with 500k miles for $50?, For me it all comes down to the deal.

As stated again and again. It totally depends on how well it has been taken care of. I don't have a problem with higher miles.

Agreed. I had a subaru legacy wagon with over 300k now on original motor/trans, but it was well taken care of. I also had a civic with 240k - no problems at all ran great, had a Jeep with 175k, and I have another subaru now with 170k. Miles don't scare me away, but lack of service records and a high price sure would...

I really like the look of a denali over a suburban any day. I have always done my own repairs this wouldnt be any different unless the entire motor needed swapped. I never claim to be a mechanic but I am able to do 99% of my repairs. The business is sustaining itself, I cannot always let myself be worried about what ifs, I have done that for 17 years at the cost of doing without. Before I die I want to actually drive something I want vs whatever is the cheapest at the time.