Are you scared of miles?

wnaplay1647545503

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd run away from anything GM (non-diesel) with 200k miles on it---period. hell, i wouldn't be able to get much more than $12k for my '05 eddie bauer explorer, and it only has 75k miles on it. no GM gasoline car is worth $12k with that many miles. buy the suburban and put the denali grill on it.

Smaller than I like(looking for 3rd row) and I am only a fan of the newer body styles and rocky's srt8.

the short Tahoe like you are looking for doesn't have a third row either. Its VERY close in size to my Jeep. The Tahoe XL is a rebadged Suburban, that's how you get the third row.

the short Tahoe like you are looking for doesn't have a third row either. Its VERY close in size to my Jeep. The Tahoe XL is a rebadged Suburban, that's how you get the third row.

All wrong. 3rd row was standard in all variants of the Tahoe/Suburban and Yukon/Yukon XL unless it was a base base model or a police edition.

Jason, send me your wish list and I'll keep an eye out for you. There is 0% on the new Yukons right now. That usually brings all the people with older ones out of the wood work to buy new and we get some really nice trades. Anyone that can afford to spend $50-60k on a new one typically takes pretty good care of their old one irregardless of the age.

You can find Yukons with 100k miles for $10k. I don't know why you would spend more for the same truck with more miles.

$8600 and 80k less miles than the gray one you are looking at.

http://www.crownchryslerjeepdodge.com/searchused.aspx?st=price%20ASC&pn=25

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/3019687679.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/3026579912.html

i wouldnt really shy away from mileage if the price is right, and in this case, it isnt..

I bought a 200k mile ls1 formula for 3k. Not a damn thing wrong with it and i sold it for the same price with 10k more miles a year later. But i know the motor/platform like the back of my hand so i wasnt afraid of it. The engine in that denali has proven to be strong even with that kind of mileage but in no way is it worth 12k

Agreed. I had a subaru legacy wagon with over 300k now on original motor/trans, but it was well taken care of. I also had a civic with 240k - no problems at all ran great, had a Jeep with 175k, and I have another subaru now with 170k. Miles don't scare me away, but lack of service records and a high price sure would...

I can vouch for this 300k outback because it was mine previous to that (260k-280k I think )

But IMHO a Subaru is quite a different animal when it comes to high mileage

May I ask what it is about the Denali that you want so bad that isn't available in other similar vehicles? I think at one point you mentioned hand controls ...

My wife and I both really like the looks of the denali's. You can set a regular tahoe/yukon(these look identical) next to a denali version of the same year and it just looks better to me. Linn I looked at 2 of the ones you listed and one was beat to hell. The price was right but it was definately reflected by the trucks condition. I prefer the 04-06 models since I cannot afford the 07+, hell maybe I can I have no idea what a payment would be. I prefer a larger vehicle, we used to have a fully loaded fullsize conversion van and I loved that thing.

In the newer body style the difference between a denali model and a non denali is not nearly as visible.

I rarely drive and havent put more than a 2 thousand miles on my bravada in the last 3 years. My wife will be driving it daily but she only drives 5mins to the shop and never breaks 35mph. If either of these werent the case I would never buy something with a 6litre. I have found alot of good deals on carsforsale.com. I would have to travel to get something but the prices are much better than around here.

My wife and I both really like the looks of the denali's. You can set a regular tahoe/yukon(these look identical) next to a denali version of the same year and it just looks better to me. Linn I looked at 2 of the ones you listed and one was beat to hell. The price was right but it was definately reflected by the trucks condition. I prefer the 04-06 models since I cannot afford the 07+, hell maybe I can I have no idea what a payment would be. I prefer a larger vehicle, we used to have a fully loaded fullsize conversion van and I loved that thing.

In the newer body style the difference between a denali model and a non denali is not nearly as visible.

That Denali with 243,xxx miles is only worth 6k.

I think your better off with another car/truck then someone with that many miles. If your paying for it over 3 years in that time it will be @ 300K how many GMS do you gear about lasting to 300K

John send me details if its a denali but if that price is firm, I dont have that much cash to spend on a car right now. One thing I hate is that there seem to be so few color options with these things. I can find white all day long, black are easy to find as well, but this graphite gray or whatever isnt so common. I wouldnt even consider the 240k one unless they would have come down to my offer of $8k. I did get an email stating they would drop $2k off but its not enough. None of the others I have seen looked as though only the drivers seat has ever been sat in, even it was in far better shape than others. It had brand new tires on it which I am sure were over $1k. It even had the original floormats and weather mats that are seemingly always missing from these things.

sounds like you are sold on the car and the consistent opinion of everyone else is being faught from every angle by you. sit back and let the car come to you. ask greg wheeland how long he looked for his car. he was looking at 5- cars a day for almost 2 months. dont jump on something that isnt worth it. and it isnt worth no 12k. any turd can be polished, but its still a turd. keep looking, something will come up and you will be much happier with what you get by being patient vs over paying for it.

I have spent years looking for a car, 2months is nothing. I have wanted this since this body style has come out, the prices just havent been there until now. The economy was keeping people from trading them in which kept the prices high. With the newer body style now out and things slowly turning around they are becoming more readily available and at a cheaper cost. I literally check once a month since 2004 for one. At $8k I am a buyer obviously at $12k I am not. I am not looking for someone to talk me in/out of buying this particular car, I am wondering at what value people place miles. I bought my 2002 bravada back in 07 for $500 with 220k miles on it, no brainer for me. At $12k this is a no brainer also but there is a number where it starts to become a possibility. This is not a what would you do thread its a conversation thread about peoples feelings towards miles. Edited by wnaplay

With that kind of mileage, they probably gave the guy $3k for it, max. They'll probably message you back accepting the $8k offer as soon as they clean the jizz out of their pants.

to clearly answer your question, the value placed on miles varies. Between 0 and 15k miles, devaluation is very steep. A 4k mile car means the same to a dealer/customer as a 15k mile car, generally.

From 15-100k, it shallows out significantly. Customers often will compromise several tens of thousands of miles to get the equipment/color they want. Its amazing how fast "I only will buy a car with less than 40k miles" turns into "well, i like the color and moonroof on this one, even though it has 75k miles".

100k-200k miles is a certain kind of buyer. Typically maintain-it-yourself kinda guys, hunting for good deals on a older but good quality car that has plenty of life left in it once it gets a solid once-over.

Anything over 200k is junk, IMO. Its worth way less to anyone else than it is to the original owner. Think of it this way, every mile that ticks over is a chance for a car to pick up a problem. When you buy a used car, you buy someone else's problems, whether they've been fixed or not. KennyFKINPowers bought someone's squeaky suspension, and now he's dealing with it. with 240k miles, you're likely buying a fuckton of problems. They may have all been fixed already, but that car's got a lot of history under its' hood and all that history and metal is not worth $12k, its likely not worth $8k, probably closer to $4-5k.

I dont want anyone to get the impression I am in anyway defending this particular vehicles value. I understand there are those who feel that a yukon denali doesnt fair far from a regular yukon, I say the same thing about a trailblazer and a trailblazer ss, I get why they are different and priced accordingly despite not necessarily agreeing with it. In a smaller dealership this would most likely be listed at $9999, I understand that with the size this particular dealership is, overhead is far greater thus reflected in the price.

I want to know if people necessarily worry about mileage in this day and age and if so wheres the break. Do you never look at anything over 100k miles as that used to be the standard or if the price is right you dont care if its been to the moon and back.

I dont want anyone to get the impression I am in anyway defending this particular vehicles value. I understand there are those who feel that a yukon denali doesnt fair far from a regular yukon, I say the same thing about a trailblazer and a trailblazer ss, I get why they are different and priced accordingly despite not necessarily agreeing with it.

I want to know if people necessarily worry about mileage in this day and age and if so wheres the break. Do you never look at anything over 100k miles as that used to be the standard or if the price is right you dont care if its been to the moon and back.

The right car, for the right price, in pretty much every case is my philosophy.

In this day and age, I expect a car to run well for 300k miles if it has been well maintained. The closer you are buying to that 300k mark, the less you know about how well the maintenance is.

When mileage gets UP THERE, past the normal realm of everyday use (15K / year?) it can be cause for concern. I dont give a flying fack if you drive it all highway from OH to FL 23 times a year... that is a LOT of work / use for a vehicle. Price should reflect mileage. I know someone driving 2K / year can neglect or beat up a car just as easily, but everything is relative... at least mileage is a good factor you can tangibly look at.

That's why I bought a Toyota lol. Sure its currently low mileage, but there are plenty of high mileage examples out there with a proven track record. Add in that mine is meticulously maintained, once I hit the high mileage, I will have no worries.

That is the good thing about us car-guys.... We can keep cars for-freakin-ever and feel confident even when were turning over odometers ...

Main point is unless you know exactly who owned a vehicle or how it has been kept, use mileage to your advantage... assume its been beat on for every single one, and price accordingly