Question about food for a graduation party

Buck531

Kinda stuck on what I want to do here. Haven't been to a graduation in years (high school). We're looking to have about 35 or so people show up next Saturday for my sons graduation party.

We were thinking Raising Canes. 100 Strips is $89. 3-4 strips per person.

OR. Fried Chicken at Meijers. If anyone has had it, it's pretty good. I can get 100 pieces (beast, thigh, leg) for $65. Not a bad deal. Not sure if people want to deal with the bones or what not.

I was also planning on going to Costco and getting their turkey wraps and/or the crescent meat sandwiches if someone doesn't want chicken and also some potato salad and/or macaroni salad.

My brother was thinking about making a big batch of meatballs in bbq sauce or something to the matter.

Would you want fried Chicken or chicken fingers from Canes?

BBQ is out of the question. Just too much money.

City Barbeque catering has great side dishes, too, but it's more expensive than picking sides up from Costco or Meijer.

If you pick it up from City BBQ, it's slightly cheaper. I used pans of the side dishes at my last open house. They're $22 each.

http://www.citybbq.com/our-food/pig-up-n-go/

BBQ is out of the question. Just too much money.

City Barbeque catering has great side dishes, too, but it's more expensive than picking sides up from Costco or Meijer.

If you pick it up from City BBQ, it's slightly cheaper. I used pans of the side dishes at my last open house.

http://www.citybbq.com/our-food/pig-up-n-go/

See above :) It's still too expensive for 30-40 people. I'm not made of money like you Doc ;)

Buck, I agree that City BBQ's meat dishes are pricey, I was just suggesting that their sides, for $22 a pan, seemed reasonable to me. Not the cheapest available, but reasonable. They claim the pan serves 25 people, but my experience was that it actually serves more than that. Guests were very happy with the food, and the big pans were easier to manage than the little buckets from the discount places.

I don't envy you, having to feed 35 people, especially if they're hungry.

Buck, I agree that City BBQ's meat dishes are pricey, I was just suggesting that their sides, for $22 a pan, seemed reasonable to me. Not the cheapest available, but reasonable. They claim the pan serves 25 people, but my experience was that it actually serves more than that. Guests were very happy with the food, and the big pans were easier to manage than the little buckets from the discount places.

I don't envy you, having to feed 35 people, especially if they're hungry.

Heh.. you haven't met my brother. He's half the size of me and can put down almost a full tray of lasagna. When he eats.. he eats a LOT. lol.

I'll look into the pan again. hmm.

Edit. Re-read what you posted. Yeah that's not a bad deal for the sides. I do like their sides and they're right around the corner. Might be better than getting a bucket of costco potato salad.

IMO, I'd go with a 1-2 Pulled Pork/Chicken Trays from City BBQ. It will be better quality, stay hot longer and after 45 minutes still taste great whereas chicken strips will not do nearly as well.

• Do the sides like Corn and Slaw yourself as they are easy.
  • Couple Bags of Armour Meatballs from the store in a sweet/tangy BBQ like sauce (wife has a great recipe I can forward to you) - Easy to make just put in a crock pot
  • Mini Hot Dogs in similar sauce - Easy, crock pot or like
  • Add in buns and viola

Congratulations. Now comes college tuition :dumb:

Do the fried chicken from meijers, then get the sub platter from costco and then just get some of the big sides from there as well the normal stuff chips ect.

canes is small and some yahoo gonna eat more and you might run out. save the money get the fried chicken and subs..

also who cares how good it is ... FREE FOOD IS GOOD FOOD :D

btw whats the time i want some fried chicken :D

Chick-Fil-A also does catering plates. I don't know the prices off hand but I remember reading they will deliver to you over a certain $ amount. Canes is a tasty alternative. For a party with a lot of people I would stick to boneless meat but that is just my opinion.

What are you trying to spend a person?i can probably get a decent average joes catering price, especially if you can pick it up.

Probably looking around $4-5 a person. That's about $150 worth of food.

I'm also going to get a few chaffing dishes from GFS. They're on sale. A kit with two pans and everything needed for $16.99 so I'm not worried about keeping the food warm.

Probably looking around $4-5 a person. That's about $150 worth of food.

I'm also going to get a few chaffing dishes from GFS. They're on sale. A kit with two pans and everything needed for $16.99 so I'm not worried about keeping the food warm.

I will see what I can do, probably can do mini burgers and bone/boneless wings.

I will see what I can do, probably can do mini burgers and bone/boneless wings.

Thanks but don't worry about it. I think we're going to get the two sides from City BBQ, 100 Fingers from Canes and my mom is going to go to Costco and get a few meat trays that have their pre-made sammiches (they're actually pretty good) along with a fruit tray. I think that'll cover most of it.

I must be the only person who thinks City BBQ's food is EH at best.

We've had potlucks before with canes and everybody loved it.

Grab some buckets of potato/macaroni salad.

Large (50/100) trays of cookies.

FWIW, Pizza hut also has "family trays" of pastas for a reasonable price, maybe grab a 3-4 of those as well.

Thanks but don't worry about it. I think we're going to get the two sides from City BBQ, 100 Fingers from Canes and my mom is going to go to Costco and get a few meat trays that have their pre-made sammiches (they're actually pretty good) along with a fruit tray. I think that'll cover most of it.

Cool. Now we're all just waiting on the CR invitation to join the food eating contest :gabe:

I agree that City BBQ is mediocre at best. It's not disgusting but I'll find something else.

Try and see how much it is from Rt 62 BBQ in Johnstown.

RT 62 BBQ is very pricey compared to city bbq. 12-15 servings is 80$

We looked into that for a get together we were having..

Now I would rather eat 62 bbq than city bbq.. Baked means are so faking good.. I eat the left over beans like chili. with crackers.

45-50 servings 50$ for each side

Cheesy Potatoes • Baked Beans

• Potato Salad • Slaw • Spicy Southern

Greens • Skillet Corn • Macaroni Salad

• Broccoli Salad • Fresh Cut Fries

Do the fried chicken from meijers, then get the sub platter from costco and then just get some of the big sides from there as well the normal stuff chips ect.

canes is small and some yahoo gonna eat more and you might run out. save the money get the fried chicken and subs..

also who cares how good it is ... FREE FOOD IS GOOD FOOD :D

btw whats the time i want some fried chicken :D

I agree...