What tools do you use to work on your bike?

tomato_racing

I've always been a Honda man that could tear down a car with a 10, 12, 14 and 32mm wrench set but now I'm lost. I have a cheap set of hex keys that managed to round out a couple bolts during my rear set install so I'm looking to buy some new tools. What 'go to' tools do you guys have for when you work on your bike? Any suggestions for Suzuki specific tools?

Thanks!

allen wrenches, socket set, axle nut socket, screw drivers short and long, torque wrench, breaker bar, calipers. I think thats about all the tools i use on a regular basis. I've done exhaust swaps, motor swap, wheels, airbox, swingarm, etc..

Doesnt sound like ur asking about brand, but I use whatever brand doesnt break, I've got some craftsman, kobalt, and harborfreight stuff and i have yet to break anything.

Edited by exSRAaron

I apologize in not specifying exactly what I was asking. I've come to the realization that I'm going to have to invest in at least a good hex set. Does anything have suggestions on brands? (Mind you the Snap On man doesn't visit my office lol) My little Harbor Freight kit is a joke.... then again all the tools from there are. Any other job specific tools I need to pick up? I haven't dug too far into the bike but do they have star keys or anything goofy on them?

Tool wise, I would get a great set of hex wrenches. Get the best you possibly you can, I've got some cheap ones that consistently strip. I've been meaning to get a good set but always forget when I'm out. I know my father in law has a good set of the Craftsman T handles that he uses on his bike a lot, so I think they are pretty good.

A good torque wrench is always handy as well.

I apologize in not specifying exactly what I was asking. I've come to the realization that I'm going to have to invest in at least a good hex set. Does anything have suggestions on brands? (Mind you the Snap On man doesn't visit my office lol) My little Harbor Freight kit is a joke.... then again all the tools from there are. Any other job specific tools I need to pick up? I haven't dug too far into the bike but do they have star keys or anything goofy on them?

dude i would never use the kit that came with the bike, its just shit. everything you need to work on the bike is in that kit tho, well at least to do general maintenance, so you may want to find the equivalents in a good brand and start there. and the "star keys", i think youre thinking of a torx bit but the only thing i have need one so far for was to adjust the tps

I've always been a Honda man that could tear down a car with a 10, 12, 14 and 32mm wrench set but now I'm lost. I have a cheap set of hex keys that managed to round out a couple bolts during my rear set install so I'm looking to buy some new tools. What 'go to' tools do you guys have for when you work on your bike? Any suggestions for Suzuki specific tools?

Thanks!

I've rebuilt a few engines, and done all my work on my bikes with tools I bought at Meijer, Walmart, and Harbor Freight. never had a problem with them. Stanley and GreatNeck I think is what they are, they work fine.

I have some snapon tools, but I never really use them

I've rebuilt a few engines, and done all my work on my bikes with tools I bought at Meijer, Walmart, and Harbor Freight. never had a problem with them. Stanley and GreatNeck I think is what they are, they work fine.

:werd: Getting the job done is all that matters and not what logo is stamped on the tool.

Power tools though I care what brand. :)

+1

The vast majority of my hand tools are Snap-on. I've got a little bit of craftsman. Some Kobalt. A few Mac tools.

Then a No-mar tire changer. Hydraulic bike lift. Bridgeport. 17" lathe. Drill press. Ban saw. 2 welders. a couple hand grinders. A surface grinder. a sheet metal bender. coats 100 tire changer. engine hoist. 2 ton press. I know theres more...

I prefer hex sockets over keys or T handles. That way I can use them with a torque wrench. Generally, I don't touch anything on my bike(s) without torque wrenches (ft/lbs & in/lbs) and a factory service manual.

Surprisingly, Husky (Home Depot) makes really good hex and torx sockets.

I prefer hex sockets over keys or T handles. That way I can use them with a torque wrench. Generally, I don't touch anything on my bike(s) without torque wrenches (ft/lbs & in/lbs) and a factory service manual.

Surprisingly, Husky (Home Depot) makes really good hex and torx sockets.

+1

Torque wrenches are your friend. Get one before you learn the hard way and snap a few bolts. Extractors, while useful when needed, are the enemy. :)

-metric sizes 8-18mm 3/8" drive sockets plus a 21mm and a 33mm

-breaker bar macro torque wrench and micro torque wrench

-adapters and converters and extensions

-box wrenches 6-20mm

-hex heads 4-10mm

-torx head 6mm (only size i needed)

-L shapedallen wrenches 1-10mm

-regular pliers, needle nose pliers, stripping and crimping electrical tool, cutters

-multimeter

-tons of fuses and male/female connections (from when i had an electrical gremlin i tried to figure out, good to keep on hand nonetheless)

-zipties, electrical tape