Central Ohio Hiking

SilverAudiMike

With the awesome weather forecast for the weekend I want to try and get out with the Fiancée and do a little hiking. We've done Old Man's Cave (paved - boo), Highbanks, Alum..

Looking for something a little off the beaten path under 10 miles within a 2 hour drive.

Edited by SilverAudiMike

It could be fun to hike the mountain bike trails at Alum. Just go against traffic and watch out for the mountain bikers. The normal rule is supposed to be bikers move for all other traffic since we are a lower form of humans than equestrians or hikers. But I don't think a majority of the bikers on this trail are used to lots of foot traffic and I'm not sure it's supposed to be a multi-use trail. I've run on them quite a few times with no issues.

EDIT: Gabe beat me to it. BTW, it's a 5 mile loop at each location. Phase 1 also has a 2 mile beginner loop. I would suggest phase 1, plus the beginner loop for about 7 miles total.

It could be fun to hike the mountain bike trails at Alum. Just go against traffic and watch out for the mountain bikers. The normal rule is supposed to be bikers move for all other traffic since we are a lower form of humans than equestrians or hikers. But I don't think a majority of the bikers on this trail are used to lots of foot traffic and I'm not sure it's supposed to be a multi-use trail. I've run on them quite a few times with no issues.

EDIT: Gabe beat me to it. BTW, it's a 5 mile loop at each location. Phase 1 also has a 2 mile beginner loop. I would suggest phase 1, plus the beginner loop for about 7 miles total.

I should have mentioned that I ride MTB regularly (have raced) and have been to most of the MTB trails in Ohio.

Looking for hiking specific trails.

I really like hiking around Yellow Springs area. Start at Clifton Gorge, then John Bryan State Park to Glen Helen. Then hitchhike back to your car.

You gotta do breakfast at Clifton Mill...their buckwheat pancakes are incomparable. Do the trails around the Gorge, make your way to Yellow Springs and do the stores, then finish up with ice cream at Young's Jersey Dairy.

Conkle's Hollow is the best part of Hocking Hills...the rim trail is incredible. The Grandma Gatewood Trail runs from OMC to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave, 6 miles one way, and has some beautiful spots you won't see if you just do the individual parks. There is a shuttle that runs from Ash to OMC, don't know the schedule or cost though.

You gotta do breakfast at Clifton Mill...their buckwheat pancakes are incomparable. Do the trails around the Gorge, make your way to Yellow Springs and do the stores, then finish up with ice cream at Young's Jersey Dairy.

Conkle's Hollow is the best part of Hocking Hills...the rim trail is incredible. The Grandma Gatewood Trail runs from OMC to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave, 6 miles one way, and has some beautiful spots you won't see if you just do the individual parks. There is a shuttle that runs from Ash to OMC, don't know the schedule or cost though.

I usually get lunch at Sunrise Cafe in Yellow Springs. I always stop for icecream at Youngs, that place is great.

Mohican has some nice short trails as well, plus you can do the canoe rental thing. Caesar Creek has the South Trail, 4.3 each way and some nice scenery.

Tar Hollow has quite a few trails that can be strung together into just about any length.

Strouds Run pretty much IS trails...